1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

186.08 Beta available

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by FatBoyNL, Jun 3, 2009.

1. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670

Hahah haha
    Funniest thing ive read all week

Now of to see if these fix my cod4 stutter(cod 5 doesn't stutter)
    bazaar

2. _NeO_

_NeO_ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX470 Gaming X
    Wtf is wrong with all these new drivers i can't instal the danm cp...

3. lamenting

lamenting Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia GTX 285
    i'm back to the 181.71s on Win 7 RC x64.. these new ones crash L4D every couple of minutes. :(

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  4. Legion666

Legion666 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX275 OC Frozr
    i tried it, and i returnt to 182.50, because all the new drivers see only 366MB Ram on graphic card..

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I installed these new International drivers last night and did so by installing over the top of the previous 185.85 WHQLed ones.

Last time I tried this a number of games such as X-Men Origins Wolverine and F.E.A.R. 2 crashed upon starting anything 3D so I had to do the uninstall, clean, reinstall thing. I suspect that was because I had US drivers installed and installed the International ones over the top, something like that. The Components tab in the control panel displayed a mix of different file versions too.

Now I've installed International ones over International ones the files that showed different versions are now all the same versions so either these have installed correctly or NVIDIA have at last updated the installer so it removes old files that are not needed. This, in my opinion, is how all installers should be written as it's tedious to have to uninstall, boot to Safe mode, run a driver cleaner then reinstall them from there. It shouldn't be necessary if you ask me. ATI/AMD drivers have never required this.

Anyway, I tested a number of games for around 20-30 minutes... X-Men Origins: Wolverine ran perfectly and silky smooth at 60 fps (v-synced and triple buffered) as did F.E.A.R. 2, Half-Life 2, Race Driver GRID and Unreal Tournament III. Everything looked great until I tried...

... Far Cry 2. Upon starting the game the AutoUpdater applied the new v1.03 patch. Once I got into the game I played it for a few minutes before going to the in-game Display options and changing the AA from 4X to 8X (I'm running at max. settings at 1680x1050 using DirectX 10 by the way and Widescreen enabled). After a couple of minutes the game froze and my PC was non-responsive for over five minutes, I couldn't even bring up the Task Manager. Eventually it did come up though along with a message stating that "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered". This is the first time I've seen this message so I'm at a loss as to what caused it, although these being beta drivers suggests that it is more likely to be a driver bug, right?

I'll continue to use these drivers and see if I have problems with any other games as I haven't really played or tested anything sufficiently to know if there are any other issues with my system. That said, the previous 185.85 WHQLed drivers worked flawlessly so I don't expect too many issues with these. Hopefully that "Driver not responding" error was a one-off...

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Ooops, almost forgot... these drivers installed the Stereoscopic 3D drivers, which I wasn't aware of, so I've just uninstalled them this morning. Surely these should be installed as an option not forced on us as it's yet another unnecessary service running in the background?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    When a i choose GTX285 from the drop down list on the Nvidia site, the new driver's are not available.
    I have to choose another Vga (ex. GTX295), in order to download the driver's. Did anybody else noticed that ?

GTX 285 is on the product's supported list, so i will give them a try.

Good news regarding the AF issue!!

8. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-290x Windforc
    can any one confirm if the AF broen problem is gone in thses, cuz its not worth downloading if the famous AF problem is still there.

9. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    well fan does now start to ramp up but not till 80c it gets to 84c at 53% fan and then gives me a nvlddmkm error so i set fan to 80% and played farcry 2 for 4 hours last night. source engine games look great for me and IMO IQ looks great ... losing a few fps in most games but they do look better.

10. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    ffs ever heard of reading the thread ? .. numerous ppl have reported that AF now works properly and even posted in bold type RED letters.

11. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Did you test Far Cry 2 another time after the problem?

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    It may be a bug at AA x8. And x4 works OK? It does for me. Personally I see little need to go over x4 @1680x1050. I enable multi-sampling with it tho.

13. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-290x Windforc
    some ppl r also saying its still broken:confused:..........

14. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

The driver is there for GTX285.. You just have to make sure that you select it from the "advanced driver search" page, not the normal basic driver download page. The advanced page is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

15. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    This driver haven't caused any anomalies here so far. Plus no restart was necessary (running Windows7 x64 build 7127), although setup did kill the explorer.exe process during install so I had to run it manually when setup finished.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    No I haven't except to load the game and switch the AA back down to 4X. I've also uninstalled the Stereoscopic 3D drivers, although I doubt they caused the issue.

As I said earlier, this is the first time I've seen this "driver not responding" error in the six months I've had my new PC. My GeForce GTX 280 card was overclocked from 666/1443/1161 MHz to 648/1476/1242 MHz (same as the GTX 285) though so maybe that was the cause of the freeze? That said, I've been running those settings for weeks now with no issues in any other games, including Crysis and Crysis: Warhead. Using EVGA Precision v1.7.1 the GPU temperature was 73 C when the game froze so I doubt heat was the real issue.

I'll test Far Cry 2 later with 4X AA; the game has always ran smoother on that setting anyway. 8X AA seems to cause more judder when turning (I tend to play the game with a wireless Xbox 360 controller by the way).

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I should also mention that I tested the SBK 09 demo with these drivers with 16X AF and 16QX AA forced in the control panel with all graphics settings maxed and the game looked great and run smoothly except for the odd judder on corners. Dropping the AA down to 8QX seems to fix that.

Also I tried Mirror's Edge for about 15 minutes or so with these new drivers too and the game was running silky-smooth and the AA looked much better to my eyes than it did before. When I checked the in-game settings I was surprised to see it was only set to 4X AA.

18. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
  19. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Just ran Far Cry 2 beautifully for half an hour with 4xAA enabled and everything else maxed out. I hope FC2 patch 1.03 will fix my problem with the downloadable content missions (not starting/resuming properly).

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Here's a question for all you knowledgeable folk out there... when I run the latest version of CCleaner, a registry cleaning program, it finds half a dozen redundant NVIDIA entires.

Is it safe to remove them?

Another similar program I have, Registry Mechanic 9, doesn't pick these entries up at all.