185.85 Win 7 - Square Smoke DoWII?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by shuurajou, May 18, 2009.

1. shuurajou

shuurajou Member

GPU:
    2xLeadtek/8800 GTX/768M
    Hi All,

Installed the Windows 7 RC the other day - fresh from a format. With the 185.85 drivers, I've so far been unable to get Empire Total War, or Dawn of War II to work properly.

Dawn of War II seems to get issues with square smoke and then flashing screen and eventually crashing. There seems to be no particular setting that causes this, however doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time. Empire Total War just flashes and barely loads and I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and kill the process.

Other games that have worked fine are CS:S & Demigod.

I am running 2x 8800 GTXs in SLI.

Any ideas? Looking on Google I can find some known issues with Empire Total War, but I'd love to get DoW II working first.

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  3. shuurajou

shuurajou Member

GPU:
    2xLeadtek/8800 GTX/768M
    Looking at the thread, the Dawn of War II beta is in the 'works' category, although I can't find any other reference doing a search for 'dawn of war' in the thread.

Anyone got the full version of the game working OK?

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  4. shuurajou

shuurajou Member

GPU:
    2xLeadtek/8800 GTX/768M
    This seems to have been a driver issue. I uninstalled the drivers and allowed Windows 7 to install it's default drivers - all was OK after. In SLI and non-SLI mode.

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    By "default" you mean 181.71?

6. shuurajou

shuurajou Member

GPU:
    2xLeadtek/8800 GTX/768M
    Correct. Also enabled empire total war to work.

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Great. Thanks for sharing that, shuurajou. :)

8. gloves085

gloves085 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 ti
    185.85 & win 7

Just to add my 2 pennies worth:

The problem with the 185 whql seems to be the driver not reporting itself properly (at least with my GTX280s). The drivers work like a dream and supports AO fine. However 3D Mark Vantage fails to start saying that you do not have a DirectX 10 system.

When you then run dxdiag my GTX280s are reported as having only 492MB of memory, this is what I believe causes the issue and DOW II will not enable Ultra settings.

I have reverted to the 182.08 drivers with no issues whatsoever (but without AO of course).

It should be noted that my partner is running an otherwise identical Win 7 x64 system to mine (but with my 2 old 8800gtx) and the 185.85s seem to be reporting correctly.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  9. shady86

shady86 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic
    Empire Total War also doesnt work with my GTX 260. Using 185.85 WHQL and Win 7 RC.