185.85 and L4D

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by uffa, May 14, 2009.

1. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    I also have a socket 939 system, and on Windows XP, No matter what driver I used l4d would run terrible (30ish fps or less) with multi core support ON...Turning it off would increase fps to 70ish

Now using Beta7 with latest "beta" nvidia drivers I can say its the smoothest its run, and it accepts multi threaded rendering without a hitch.

2. Baleur

Baleur Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 8800GTS 640mb
    lol i've never used driver sweeper and ive also never had any problems with freezes, bluescreens or any mumbo jumbo like that. 99% of all drivers i've ever installed have worked, giving or taking a few fps based on the driver issues themselves that is (if its poorly optimized for a new game or whatnot)

The entire driver sweeper/cleaner obsession is just a placebo thing imo.
    My computer is living proof that it doesnt make a difference. Always has been.

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    You do know that's an exception that proves the rule, right? :p

If you read this section of this forum on a regular basis, you know that quite a few problems can be repatriated to simply installing a new driver on top of an old one.

Of course, just do whatever works for you, but don't make the mistake of generalizing or of measuring everything by the same yardstick.

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    also whats the harm in running driver sweeper and rebooting a few times. doesnt take 5mins..

i have been practising safe mode driver sweeper routine for awhile and very rarely encounter problems. any chance of lessening murphys law (if something can go wrong it most likely will) i take it...

i really do think driver sweeper lessens the chance of conflicts/things going wrong.

5. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070 RTX
    Wich driver did you exactly use?
    And did you use Windows 7 or another OS?

I never fixed this stutter/micro stutter problem in L4D.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    Using XP Pro MCE, I had all sorts of issues. I have no idea what micro-studder is, but I have read about it. Maby what I had was it was. I was doubtless using the latest Non-beta drivers, and had gone through them all trying to get "multi core support" working in L4d. Enabling it left me crippled at 35ish fps (cl_showfps 1 was always in the red). Disabling it left me around the 60-70 mark in good circumstances.

After upgrading to windows 7 Beta build 7100, I loaded the latest beta driver 185.25 and have had zero issues at all. I logged on l4d (Hate the game lol) and saw that the same settings with "Multi-core support" gave me about 90-100 fps during lulls in waves (survival) and never dipped lower than I found acceptable.

Than Zoey died. I hate Ayn Rand.

7. lamenting

lamenting Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia GTX 285
    not true.. my i7 920 has horrible L4D sound loop issues.

Anyone using Windows 7 beta and L4D with no lockups? if so, what drivers?

8. lamenting

lamenting Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia GTX 285
    so I rolled back to 181.71 and they seem to be the best so far for Windows 7. only 1 lockup in an hour of playing (i had 20+ before).

9. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070 RTX
    When the sound loops, does the games freeze for a second or so?
    If not, it's not the stutter/freeze issue.

10. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    This doesn't deal ANYTHING with this thread. Anyway multithreaded rendering should give you performance boost and not the contrary.

11. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    left4dead is one of the smoothest running games i have.i use 185.85 and i dont do anything unusual . my driver is simply set to use global advanced, high quality filter, ambient occlusion enabled , and sli (obviously)enabled. everything else is default in driver.

and i run left 4 dead with everything default (max quality,all enabled) with a bump to 8xmsaa and 16xAF *from 4xmsaa-8xAF default.

12. lamenting

lamenting Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia GTX 285
    i wish it only just stuttered or froze for a few seconds.

this is the known sound loop lockup and the only thing that brings it back is ALT+TAB to the desktop and back into the game.

13. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    Same for me. All settings maxed with current nvidia driver set for my xfx 9800gts slied & not so much of a hicup. I've oced then default clocks up from 600mhz to 695hmz & am pulling 50 - 75+ fps. I used to get the same issue..several updates ago but the problemas I've read has been solved for awhile now with multicore rendering.

14. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    A small thing happened last night. I connected my pc to our new 42inch LCD tv just for giggle & started getting a odd pause every so often. Same issue this thread was about... On my 22inch CRT (yeah I know) it runs smooth as silk..but with the LCD L4D has this same issue. Odd.

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    could a possible reason be because you are running a 9800gt through a 42inch screen?...

i'm not surprised it stutters at all.

16. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    not to hijack thread but howcome?

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well am 90 percent sure that to play on a 42inch you need a lot more gpu muscle than a 9800gt...

18. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    Even Slied?

19. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2070 Mini OC
    lol.

It's not the size of the screen that matters - it's the resolution.

What res are you running MainframeTM?

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah i did say i was 90 percent sure! :)

sli 9800gt's would be fine. cant tell that from your details though...

saying that isnt hd resolution high-ish anyways?