1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

180.42 rivatuner's fan control

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Black_ice_Spain, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    Ok xP, this had to come, anyway to enable it at windows Xp x86?

I mean, i know driver level fan was changed, but when i enable low level fan control, when i click apply at for example 100%, it sets 25% like if something was changing the value, i mean, 84% its like 40%, 97% its 2% etc uU, anyway to control? :(

i've reinstalled rivatuner alrdy

the max value i reached its 47% T_T

also i cant check "auto"

EDIT: Went back to rivatuner 2.09 (also lost my settings so could be this) and it works perfectly :S!, pretty confusing idk if 2.09 or removing all my settings, but dont wanna try again xP, but problem solved for meh.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Using low-level fan control with cheap display adapters like 9600GT is pointless. Such hardware is not equipped with dedicated hardware fan controller IC and can control fan speed at NVIDIA driver level only (other words, NVIDIA driver constantly polls thermal sensor and constantly changes fan speed at software level when temperature changes). So low-level attemt to change fan speed will be overriden by driver when temperature changes inside adjustable range (60-90C for 9600GT). Driver-level fan control is the only option for such hardware. This also applies to the rest cards not equipped with dedicated fan controller IC (e.g. 8600GT, 9800GTX etc).

3. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    970GTX
    oh ok, thx for fast support anyways =)

i had luck then, my card seems to have fan control,as i said on the topic (i couldnt erase @_@), reinstalling rivatuner+losing my oc profiles or going back to 2.09 (idk which one of both), fixed it, now its at 90%.

in the old problem it was working, but it was like if rivatuner were using a different code than the hardware :X

4. Unwinder

Wrong. I bet that RT version doesn't matter and you're just below adjustable temperature range (60C-) now. I also bet that once your temeprature is above 60C you'll lose fan control due to driver's fan control adjustment algorithm activation.

5. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    970GTX
    You were right as expected xP.

I tested at more than 60ºC and it goes autocontrol (altho my old problem it was different i think something weird with my installation, my card idle its ~54ºC).

Anyways not a problem for me, my card only goes over 60ºC, actually it max at 62ºC with grid and WoW and AA 8xS/16xQ (which i dont use a lot, i dont feel it's effects too much xP). Only goes higher on very long extress benchmark which i dont care. So not a problem for me.

Again thnks for answer, and good to know that about my card :p.

6. Unwinder

Thanks for confirming ;)

7. Cartire

Cartire New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce 9800 gx2
    Thanks for closing my thread.

This didnt answer my question. My card does have an IC controller.

Im stuck using the nvidia system tools to adjust the fan until rivatuner lets me do it again.

The only reason I like to manually adjust it is because I know the card isnt running at full 100% while in game, I I want it at 100%.

I just perfer to use the launchers cane its a hell of a lot faster then going through the nvidia contol panel.

8. Unwinder

No need to post sarcastic "thanks", just start reading instead. I completely fail to understand you second time.
    This thread gives you a lot of "food for mind", it tells that driver-level fan control is missing due to changed ForceWare's fan control interface, it gives you the workaround (using low-level fan control if hardware supports it). The rest is up to you.

9. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    Unwinder,

thank you for clearing up this miss idea of driver level vs. low-level fan control.

How to get driver level for 9600GT with New NV drivers? { 180.XX + future }

Are u going to implement driver plugin in RT and EVGA Precision?

Thank you again for product.

bobo

10. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G