180.10 Beta Or 178.24 WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MadPerson, Oct 19, 2008.

1. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 AMP Holo
    None of you guys have tried the 178.08 one? I'm using them since a while and I'm really happy with them. I'll recommend them to any 8800GT SLI users. They performed much better than 178.15 on my rig.

Since my 8800GTs are kinda old now, I'm starting to think about stick with them forever ^^ (at least, on WinXP)

Peace.

[WinXP x32 SP3]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    Sorry for ask Frenchkiss, but, how much performance do you gain using SLI over single configuration?...I´ve been thinking about buying another 8800GT :)

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  4. VectorRoll

VectorRoll Active Member

GPU:
    2 @ EVGA/8800GTS/640MB
    I just hope that they get a fix for the BF2142 issues that I am having. All my other games that I am playing right now seem to work fine with the new drivers. It is just that one has major issues.

5. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 AMP Holo
    GeForce 8800 GT 512MB SLI review
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...mb-sli-review/
    This is with kinda old drivers I guess. Now it's even better.

Despite some ppl saying "sli sux blabla", I've very satisfied with my SLI rig, especially when I see the price. 8800GT are cheap now, and still performs very well. I'm playing all games at 1920x1200, np, even Crysis WARHEAD (most High, a few Very High). I don't think about buying new stuff for a while. Or maybe if they release games that rly need more power. It's not the case yet :)
    I can add that the SLI bonus is very good at high resolutions (1600x1200 and higher), but not so good at low resolution (1280x1024 and lower). At lest from what I could see so far on my games.

6. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    Thanks for the review Cybermancer but now it´s just a little outdated. No Warhead, GRID, COD4, Far Cry 2 numbers, don´t know if they could fix the problem with World In Conflict :( ... (hey, maybe is a good idea to update that review 1 year later, don´t you think?)
    What´s your experience Cybermancer? Do you recommend to buy another 8800GT (I want to play at 1680x1050 but with recently games it´s not possible to maintain a decent framerate)?
    Thanks again.
    Alx

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    So far I really like my SLI setup. Especially when gaming at high resolutions (>= 1680 x 1050) going SLI is definitely worth it.

So would I recommend going SLI? Depends on how much you would like to spend and what you plan on doing in the future. Of course getting another 8800 GT will give you a tremendous performance boost and the 8800 GT cards are really cheap right now. For about $100 you could get another one.

I, myself, am going to upgrade to two GTX260 SP 216 around Christmas, if everything works out. Don't get me wrong now, though. If you're on a budget, getting another 8800 GT will be a very nice upgrade and you'll be able to play all current games without any problems at 1680 x 1050. For me, personally, playing at 1920 x 1200 with all settings at very high in all games, I want to get a bit faster performance and I think two GTX260s (216 SP) will get me there. ;)