Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Watcher, May 20, 2013.
Damn, clever boys and girls xD
another damn great technology that we will never see in real use... Im tired of this
+1, very true
Unfortunately this was the first thing that came to mind before I even finished reading the title.
Power companies will go broke if it only take a few seconds to charge all of our expensive little 'toys', or they'll just raise the cost of the avg and say it's due to the economy.
"19-year-old Romanian student Gorden E. Moore"???
that's the same name as the co-founder of Intel Corporation and the author of Moore's Law.
The amount of power used is the same regardless of the charge rate.
capacitors are extremely dangerous when broken, they can discharge their voltage instantly, there is almost no chance this would ever end up in someone's pocket. great for military use maybe, but fatal high-current electric shock is not something phone companies would deal with.
oh, well then it seems i have a bit of reading up to do.
Yes but how many people are going to carry around their cellphone with the battery split open while they are touching the capacitor?
me, this is the next step over unplugging USBs un-safely, i live in the edge :banana:.
Imo it looks good if it can be implemented in real world, and anyways, if it's only for military uses, its vgood too (not only military affected of course, just that kind of devices).
Damn this would be great technology. Too bad that we wont get to see it. I hope that we do. This could help tablets as well or any mobile device. This could really help business users.
my phone takes a couple of hours to charge ac and if I do it by usb sometimes its not fully charged. a few seconds would be freaking great
If it's more efficient (which I highly doubt) it would use even less technically. I'd imagine that there must be a lot of heat.
Hang on a second though, I thought capacitors don't store power very well.
But it's the 'capacitor' bit that puzzles me.
These things can discharge in a microsecond, with a whole lot of heat produced.
Or will we be seeing a sort of flip-flop effect with this battery?
Oooh, bet they haven't thought of that.
if its based on capasitors, then idea is already old. Im more concerned how normal battery woud take all power in in few secs. Heat woud make it explode.
if made larger could this be used as a weapon?
perhaps a bomb trigger from the heat release
Gasoline is very dangerous when it catches on fire and yet we still have hundreds of millions of vehicles with it on board.
Either the capacitor is the battery (and it has exceptionally low leakage) or the capacitor is trickle charging the battery for a few hours.
If it is trickle charging a battery, it doesnt make sense to do it quickly as that wears the battery out much faster and wastes power generating heat.
No matter which, the potential for failure with a bad consequence is high imo.
The capacitor has got to store a lot of power.
It will need to be waterproof, maybe they are using that new spray on coating?
If it can discharge very quickly through a fault or after being damaged, it will generate high voltage and a lot of heat.
Perhaps they have a method of feeding short circuits through a large foil strip or something similar that can absorb/spread the power & heat over a large area, preventing shock & burns to the phone internals and user?