18.2.1 update made vga appear destroyed

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Markgpl, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Didn't post this on the specific driver update because this is the first time in years i have an issue with drivers, and the behavior of the system obliterated my knowledge. I hope someone has experienced something remotely like this sometime, it went like this:

-Had an rx470 4gb fried on november, got this gigabyte rx580 aorus: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RX580AORUS-8GD-rev-10-11#kf chose it because of the psu led diagnose lights to ensure my psu wasn't involved in the old vga demise. This one worked perfectly, i don't run any kind of OC, and regularly log my temps to ensure normal operation, never moved 1 degree beyond 73º C (max) and most of the time it runs at 72º.
    -This morning i update to the latest driver, update went smooth (since years ago haven't got any issues) so i proceed to test my regular use games, Forza Horizon 3 after the normal "optimizing" after game or driver updates, 0 issues. Next goes Tom Clancy The Division, the horror starts, reflections corruption, and vertex jumping, even the ui showed corruptions, these corruptions looked a lot like corruptions from overheated vgas, i start clearing caches, deactivated freesync, nothing, worsened.
    -Switch again to Forza, crisp clean graphics and performance, counter strike go, clean, division again, even worst corruptions, checked temps and fans on the gpu (feared a bug on the throttling+fan control were frying my gpu).
    -Always create system restore points before drivers just in case, so i went ahead and restored, corruption worsened with crap performance, spreaded to elite dangerous, with vertex corruption, a couple of times on radeon setting got similar glitching, but damn i go counter strike and not a sign of issues.
    -Reupdated drivers with clean install option (haven't used it in years), still same results, reinstalled December driver (17.12.2) with clean install, same behavior. Disabling Freesync, got less aggressive corruptions.
    -After a restore point from last night instead of the one i used immediately before driver update, everything works right again, and i mean everything. What the hell could a driver update do to mess up everything so much. I would have bet on my vga dying but some engines were never having issues, even when windows was showing corruption.

This weekend i will keep testing like mad to check everything, i don't want to sleep and get a final death of this vga outside warrant. If you need any more info let me know and excuse any mistakes on the descriptions im pretty tired right now.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

System: i5-3570 DDR3 16gb GSkill, 3 HDDs, uplinked vga, W10 pro (last effective update couple of weeks ago fall creators, i have delayed updates activated) Screen Samsung LC27FG70 (Full HD 144Hz regularly on Freesync)

2. Lurk

Lurk Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    I hear you. Worst experience EVER with these drivers. Bricked my system trying to uninstall them. Had to re-install OS from scratch.
    Tried them afresh and had the same crap happening: Eyefinity setup making my screens go crazy and crash system to an atikmpag.sys BSOD.

Reverted to 18.1.1 and all is good, but lost an entire day setting reconfiguring my windows installation.

Something went really bad with 18.2.1, and btw damn AMD clean uninstall procedure keeps wiping out system essential files such as RAID drivers every once in a while, so one finds himself with an unbootable machine :mad:

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Interesting. If anything, I would presume corruption would be load sensitive.
    Those games which did not show problems were games which do not utilize GPU as much. (Or at least parts of it.)

As of getting card with PSU indicators, it will not tell you if PSU is OK. Best you can do without special equipment is to use HWiNFO64.
    And there check measured voltages over time. You'll get even statistical data from GPU.

Did you ever enabled chill since last clean OS install? Did you enable overclocking (wattman or whatever via driver)?
    There could have been issue with loading some value and card could have been down-volting bit too much.

4. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Thx for your interest, about load, wasn't a primary factor, i play forza horizon 3 uncapped doing 87-120 fps, while csgo is heavily capped away from its max to 144fps, and the division is lightly capped from 98 to 85.
    About the led psu indicator feature, it was just a useful thing to be aware of, only get a 3 or 4 light flashes when reaching really low power states, never had any issues under load, and stability has been always rock solid, this card has been way more stable than RX470 nitro i had before (makes me think the 470 had defects from start, soft crashs to desktop were common)

I have an update on one contributing factor, the problem is that i don't know when it happened, could be windows fall creator about two weeks ago (which i doubt) or when i did the fatal update to 18.2.1, windows switched to generic monitor driver, which added flashing bars and strobing to the image, and confused me because artifacting decreased when i deactivated freesync while i was testing things. After driver rollback i got natural behavior back but got some flashing and bad freesync performance, discovered generic microsoft driver on the monitor, fixed it reinstalling the proper one.
    Still in the dark about the primary issue, but the gpu driver update plus the fuglied screen timings of the generic monitor driver made a hell of a mess together.

5. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    @ OP,
    72C is 161 degrees, if the system was working fine why would you update the drivers? Most new drivers are BETA'S also..................

6. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I updated mostly expecting fix of some minor throttling issues, ocassional black screen coming out of suspension, nothing serious really, plus i never had real issues with drivers since easily 5 years ago. Last issue i had was narrow focused on World of Tanks from Crimson December 16' to March 17' or so. Never expected a binary nuke deployment. I meant celcius scale, didn't see much use on Farenheit even for US sites regarding processor temps.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018