178.15 for XP 32/64bit drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by holystarlight, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
  2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Thanks, Vood007.

3. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That sucked,

Uploading the correct binaries at this very moment to the file-servers.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  6. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    Great! Thanks for the effort Hilbert and thanks to people who found the missing files. I am downloading this as I type and will report back later on how they perform. The people using vista got a little boost when going to this driver. I hope I get the same result using them. The Digital vibrance was also reported to be fixed so I will comment on that too.

7. hansje

hansje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 980GTX OC
    Sounds interesting...keep us informed scandalous :)

The 177.92 is working nice with my 260GTX and XP Home Edition.

Any little boost is welcome !!!!!

Hansje ;)

8. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Poseidon1080TI
    for me the best driver all working very goood!!! no problem with games crysis,grid,cod4,crysis warhead!!!the downclocking is working :)

9. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    Reporting back.

I haven't done any benchmarks as of yet, but I can tell that none of the games have given me any problems what so ever up until now. Crysis, Crysis warhead, cod4, bf2, half 2 episode 2, cs 1.6. All the games run good, stable, without any issues and they run smooth. I haven't got the numbers yet, Warhead seems to be running a little smoother. I'll report again one of these days after I've benchmarked crysis.

NOTE: The digital vibrance seems to have been fixed. It's not giving me any problems what so ever and stays were I left after a reboot.

Xp32
    8800gtx OC

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  10. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    That alone makes it worth downloading and replacing 178.13....

11. hansje

hansje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 980GTX OC
    Do you get more FPS ??

If its working great, then it must be working great for a 260GTX too, I hope :)

I am a race-sim-fan, do you get more FPS in GRID ??

Hansje

12. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970
    i gotta reinstall crysis so i can do some benchmarks.. (stupid mods made it crash)

13. _NeO_

_NeO_ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX470 Gaming X
    All these new drivers gives me freeze in some games because of video driver stops responding 50% times i have to do restart :bang:

14. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Same here plus full freezes while seeking in videos. Moving back to 177.92.

15. Lanc

Lanc New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek PX9600 512MB
    driver fault? c'mon... clean install ur driver.
    i thought this release only fix DV problem (not a problem if u use Riva tho)...

pizz

16. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Weird stuff happens with this driver install;

First, I get a "need to uninstall previous version" or somesuch. I have never had that happen before, I always just install over top of the current driver.

Second, after "uninstalling" the previous version (178.13, modded by side which may have or may not have something to do with this) and restarting, I discovered the following:

nVidia Control Panel is missing from the Desktop Context Menu.
    Checking Properties>Settings in the Context Menu shows Color as 4 Bit, and screen resolution as 640x480, which I know is wrong as the resolution is a least 1280x1024 and it appears to be at 32 Bit Color.

So, I get into nVidia Control Panel from the Start Menu and all the Video Controls are gone! And they do not appear in the Custom View options at all.

Needless to say, I am back to side's modded 178.13, which is simply great. I am not asking for advice or anything, I just wanted to share this.

17. Lanc

Lanc New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek PX9600 512MB
    it's not wise to install a driver over a previous one.
    if u uninstall a driver, of'corz nvidia control panel is unistalled, screen resolution back to minimum, bad color, etc2.... b'coz the driver is gone!!!!!!!!

just install a new one and everything back to normal.

AFAIK, windows provide mini-driver but if u unistall a driver, the minidriver also gone.

so next time:
    1. unistall old driver, and restart
    2. use Driver Sweeper to wipe the leftover (this where bad resolution happen)
    3. install new driver, and restart (everything will be ok)

nb: i donno about overclocking setting, but it's wise to default them before steps above.

pizz

18. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    @Lanc,

OK, thanks.

But, I always install over the existing driver. I have done this with every new driver (approximately 15-20 driver versions, I have lost count) since 169.21, and never had a problem like this until now.

But, thanks for the advice.

Oh, and the Rivatuner overclock settings always stay set.

19. soonenough

soonenough Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    This driver automatically was installed by my Windows Update (I have since turned it off auto) and resulted in a BSOD where windows would refuse to start. When system is restored I downloaded from nVidia website and got same effect. How do I know which old driver to use for my 8800 GTX? and is there anyone else who had this problem?

Can't seem to find much info out there.

20. HockeyMaster195

HockeyMaster195 New Member

GPU:
    nVidia/6800GT/256
    Originally Posted on nVidia nZone forums. I'm still having the issues listed and am in dire need of help.

Post 1 -

These drivers are the creation of Satan, as far as I'm concerned. Because I installed them I am now posting to you while at a forced resolution of 640x480. I can't increase it. My color quality is also forced to FOUR bit. We're talking lower than Super Mario on NES.

I'm using XP 32-bit, with a 6800GT.

I uninstalled just now and I am currently reinstalling the previous drivers. I'll let you know when I restart.

Post 2 -

Well, I'm still not entirely sure what to do. I uninstalled the forceware drivers, restarted, reinstalled the 178.13 drivers, restarted again, then tried to launch the nVidia Control Panel. It launched, but all the options were gone, it was just a blank window. I uninstalled, then reinstalled.

Now I get the options:

|-Performance
    | |- View System Information
    | |- Profile Policies
    |
    |-System Update
    * |- Update your System Drivers

Also, on forums, when I scroll up or down the page my screen sorts of scrolls in very slow 'waves', like I'm on my grandmother's PC that was bought in '89 trying to look up a website. This happens both using the scrollbar on the right side and my mouse wheel.

For some reason it does NOT do this when viewing a .pdf file or scrolling within this text reply box. It happens when browsing through files, such as in Program Files, and in a text document. What shall I do?!

Is there any way to just wipe everything clean and start again?