175.16 with XP x64 - any chance of the STOP/PTE-related BSOD error?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by cudak888, Aug 1, 2008.

1. cudak888

cudak888 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8500GT/ATI X700
    Hello fellows,

Been running a Raedon X700 on my box with XP x64 ever since I found out about the STOP/Driver BSOD affecting the latest nVidia drivers as below:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=30879&st=0

For better or worse (probably for the better), the Raedon is finally about to bite the dust now, and I'd like to replace it with a GeForce 8500GT that I have here.

This said, the last time I installed the 8500GT with one of the earlier drivers, I was greeted with this BSOD epidemic. At the time, no drivers had been released to remedy the problem.

I'm curious though - I've seen one or two comments here that lead me to believe that either the 175.16 or 175.19 drivers have rectified this problem on XP x64. Is this the case? Mind you, I could care less about performance at this point - all I want is a working nVidia card to stuff in my box to replace the ATI piece.

Any help much appreciated.

-Kurt

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Welcome to Guru3D! :D

Tbh, no matter which driver I try, I very seldom have BSODs. I know, this forum shows me that quite a few people do have them, but what I'm trying to say is, that it depends on your system in general. Even though somebody might post in here that the 175.19 is the best driver ever with his 8500GT, this doesn't necessarily mean that it will be so on your system.

Just give it a try. ;)

Btw: I can highly recommend the 177.41 (+ modded inf) and 177.79 Beta drivers! :D

3. cudak888

cudak888 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8500GT/ATI X700
    Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps so with most run-of-the-mill BSOD errors, i.e., in-game errors, occasional errors, happenings that are not necessarily common. Not exactly the case with this XP x64-specific problem - the BSOD is pretty much on cue the moment the drivers load on the Welcome screen, without fail.

Last time I did, I believe it might have been the cause of the registry corrupting not long after. I believe I recall one fellow complain of a similar problem in one other discussion I pulled up, but I do not recall if this was the exact case.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but have you personally tried them on XP x64? Just curious.

-Kurt

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. cudak888

cudak888 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8500GT/ATI X700
    Just tried 175.16. Booted to Windows without issue, gave the BSOD immidiately when attempting to start up Microsoft Train Simulator.

-Kurt

5. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    So you are going from an ATI card to Nvidia on the same system, right ? If so have you made sure nothing is left behind from the ATI card ?

6. BaneComes

BaneComes Banned

GPU:
    580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC
    i've tried probably every driver lol i'm a junkie i no but i tried the 177.79 drivers modded by side and there fantastic http://side.pl.pl/strona/?site=14 give em a try theres a couple of Inf's in a folder i'm using qaulity with tray it just puts the nvidia symbol on the taskbar give em a try there actually better than the stock betas

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    No. But I did on Vista x64 and XP Pro x86.

8. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    As Animatrix said you need to purge your system of the ATI driver first using Driver Cleaner or Driver Sweeper, then I would use CCleaner to clean the registry :)

Install your 8500 with 175.xx or 177.xx drivers.

Then with some of your games you might need to re-install them over the top again.

I would probably error check HD and defrag once I'd done the above.

I use XP64 and haven't had a BSOD in a long time....

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  9. cudak888

cudak888 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8500GT/ATI X700
    All ATI card bits nuked before installation. Did NOT re-install the game after the card's installation.

Hate to say this, but I've quite frankly given up on the 8-series cards. I was through this (in detail) once before, and I don't care to bugger about with it again for fear of finding myself at square one when all is said and done.

-Kurt

10. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    Yeah I can understand your frustration!!

Maybe you got a dud card or one of those cards that Nvidia had re-called due to issuse in manufacturing, I can't remember which core it was though :bang:

Nvidia have served me well for many years, but I haven't used their low end cards so maybe I've been lucky like that :)

Sorry, I hope your next card gives you the performance and less hassle....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008

11. cudak888

cudak888 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8500GT/ATI X700
    Possible, but unlikely. I bought both 8500GTs at the same store, but at least 6 months between each purchase.

I wouldn't count on it. ATI's drive me up the wall, and I've yet to have one that works correctly that lasts. Wish there was a mainstream third choice for video card chipsets...

-Kurt

12. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Well something is wrong because it's not normal. Do you have a crash dump by any chance ?

:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini(date)-(number).dmp

or

:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP

Upload it -- http://www.filefactory.com

13. cudak888

cudak888 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8500GT/ATI X700
    I do have one dump file dated 8/1/08 - I dare say it is from the Nvidia STOP error. I'll open it up later and report what it said.

That said, I have since returned the 8500GT. Didn't particularly care to do so, but I did. Exchanged it for a Radeon HD 3450 (VisonTek B2 PCB), which was the only affordable card that happened to be at the store at the time.

I'm not too happy that it's an ATI card all over again, but it appears to be working quite well (no offense to the Nvidia fans intended), and is entirely stable with MSTS whilst running the latest drivers. More then I can say for a batch of ATI drivers that I used with my X700 once.

Also got my #1 wish with this card, which is why I had initially purchased the 8500GT in the first place: Passive cooling, no fan :D

-Kurt

14. cudak888

cudak888 New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8500GT/ATI X700
  15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You need to upload the actual dump file, your missing the symbols and you have not preformed the !analyze -v i can't use the text file for much of anything.

Bug Check 0xDA: SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms796150.aspx

There is nothing "private" in the dump but you can PM the link if you really don't like posting it, but again there is nothing in the dump of any interest to anyone so don't worry.