16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by user1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    Is there any particular reason you want to use vista? win7 is much better supported and essentially has the same features + improvements. secondly you can always use the official drivers for vista, you will probably wont notice any differences.

2. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    I want to fool around with the Vista extended kernel, and would prefer the newest drivers, as I've been able to get newer games running on Vista with the extended kernel.

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    pretty weird, well if you really want to do it, all you usually have to do to make a win7 driver install on vista(since they are largely identical) is to change the win NT version to 6.0(vista) from 6.1(win7) in the inf file.

4. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    It's already set to 6.0, I just think the parts of the .inf for my GPU are missing, but when I tried adding them, it just didn't work

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    i see you mentioned this
    dont ever do this generally, the inf structure can change quite alot between branches, , i recommend taking the stock inf, and just adding your device ids and changing the nt version, that will give you the best chance of success.

6. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    There was nothing relating to ati2mtag_NI in the driver, so that's why I added it

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    I see, The main issue is that if the driver is stripped of references that means most sections have to be edited. usually references are only stripped if its an oem driver.

If i were you what i would try is using the 15.11 catalyst driver (here), and just changing the nt version, give that a shot, then try doing the same on older retail drivers which already have inf support for your gpu if it doesn't work, there isn't much reason to use OEM drivers unless you have no other options, it just makes things complicated.

8. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    Everything above 15.7 doesn't work on Vista, even this driver requires dll mods. This though is confirmed to work stably, unlike 15.6, which only somewhat works with dll mods.

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    that sounds unlikely, my guess is that you probably need some dlls from win7 for it to work correctly(replacement vs modification), either way sounds like its just a big mess, thats my recommendation just try each retail version instead of the the weird oem driver until you find one that works and stick with that.

10. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    The 15.100 driver includes the needed dlls for the mod, and I'd rather not be stuck with a driver significantly over a year older. (Last official Vista driver was from 2013)

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    Well have fun with that inf file then. I dont use windows anymore, so i can't really help you the way you want.

If you want pointers, you could probably take an inf from one of the packs i made and compare it to the stock driver inf16.101), and see what changes need to be be made.

12. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    I have looked at the drivers again, and found ati2mtag_NICaymanGL, I think I'll try modding it to be more like ati2mtag_NI, and try installing it once I'm booted back into Vista.

13. asdf2345

asdf2345 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    Got it working by modding the NICaymalGL item a bit, then renaming a section of the .inf for a FirePro V card to be the name of my card, the HD 6870.