16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by user1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I'd guess that if new drivers on WU actually install on Legacy GPUs, it's just for official support for the Win10 1803 update

2. moriel5

moriel5 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    That certainly explains it, and that would be great, since I currently run 1803.
    And before anyone gets started, I am actually a Linux user, however I need OpenCL to function properly (plus I wanted to use the Crimson drivers), and the 5xxx, 6xxx, and 7xxx series saw AMD not being very receptive to the community (I bought the card 2nd hand).
    As to why 1803, I like living on the edge (I am also a former Insider), however I need something that I can use once in a while, and the rest of my family runs 1709, since I am not going to update their computers until I am sure that 1803 will be stable enough for them.

Update: I am extremely sorry, apparently WUMT tells me that the unmodified driver needs to be installed, I have just checked the Microsoft Update Catalog and there is no newer version.

Update 2: OpenCL (with the old libraries) seems to broken with the 17.1.1(WIP) radeonsettings drivers.
    It shows as being available, however using CRARk (on OpenCL mode) puts absolutely no load on the GPU, and is stuck with no passwords being processed (obviously using the CPU works properly, if way more slowly than using the GPU).

Update 3: I have no idea what I am doing wrong now, since even the modded Catalyst drivers give the same results.
    Does anyone here have experience working with CRARk who can help me with this issue?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    OpenCL is also a thing on linux actually?
    Sure, you'll need the proprietary drivers, which in turn only have patches to work reliably on Fedora/Arch/Manjaro nowadays.. But I can confirm it's totally doable.

Anyway, back in windows land, "16.101.X With Catalyst 15.11.1" is the driver that should be used (not incidentally it is recommended).

4. moriel5

moriel5 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    It certainly is, and AMD graphics cards generally work better with the open-source drivers and Mesa than with AMD's closed source drivers (which are very subpar on Linux, partially because of their (nowadays) great support of the open-source AMDGPU stack, and even better than on Windows in many cases (and in certain cases, even beating NVidia).
    By the way, I am a Solus user (no Windows on my laptop, just on a spare hard drive on my desktop), and in my experience, hardware support, in comparison to other distros, is generally outstanding (and even more so considering that hardware support is already stellar, for the most part, on most updated distros) .

That is what I am currently using, and I am facing the exact same issues with CRARk as with the WIP 17.1.1 drivers,thus causing me to think that it is due to my inexperience with CRARk.

5. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    As long as you aren't sticking with some slowpoke non-rolling release distro, hardware support shines everywhere (I guess manjaro's mhwd may give it a slight upper hand on this front, but I digress)
    Then, mesa is certainly The driver if you want to *even use* OpenGL with amd cards (be it windows or linux).. But there's no serious open openCL driver anywhere.
    And if that's what you care for, then with TeraScale you should install fglrx.

Back in topic of crark: maybe try some older version of the thing?
    Latest version mentions "compilation of a GCN CL kernel".. Which isn't particularly inspiring.

6. Kuri0

Kuri0 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    16.101.X with radeonsettings 17.1.1 dxva-n0penCL has a issue in Fortnite where the sky becomes glitched

7. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Hmm... Well this is odd... Windows 10 April update installed older drivers but I get this message when running these packages: [​IMG]

8. Libertas33

Libertas33 Guest

GPU:
    :bump:

I am running windows 10 enterprise 1803, all updates download etc. etc.
    Radeon HD 5770 on one of the PC's

I was wondering which unofficial update should I use ? Currently I have installed official beta drivers 16.2.1 with 15.301.*.* display driver.

Thanks in advance :)

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I decided to just leave my PCs with various Legacy AMD cards running the drivers provided by Windows update.

People who have done the tests on HD 5000/6000 claim the last games were optimized for the last WHQL driver release.

10. Libertas33

Libertas33 Guest

GPU:
    I actually edited and installed firepro drivers mentioned couple of pages ago, and there is an increase in performance for sure. At least no stuttering or random freezes in games. Fortnite for example and couple of other games.

11. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
    Is there anyway you can get 15.7 or 16.2.1 to work with HD Mobility 4250?

12. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    that would be a no, the last driver that works is 13.9 catalyst or similar
    just an fyi flem doesn't work properly on newer drivers (probably past 14.502?) since the inf structure changed.

14. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    Mhh, idk, some people on the last pages of the thread (and the forum on their website) mentions 15.7, even working with dx9 cards.. Provided they use their last driver as a "base"

15. Vincyller

Vincyller Guest

GPU:
    Tardis
    Hi, same problems with fortnite. On 2 notebook with 5870m and 6770m

I solved this way:
    Uninstalling the drivers mod" 16.101.X_Repack_radeonset_17.1.1_Jan30_dxva-nocl_[WIP]" from the device manager, uninstall the graphics card. Then start the amd uninstaller.
    Restart.
    install the beta diver from the amd site Non-WHQL-64Bit-NIEG-Radeon-Crimson-16.2.1-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-Feb27
    After installed restart. Set lower right "optimize performance" do not maximize them. Perfect sky with clouds and goodbye feverish dots :)

16. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    The only drivers people should be using are 16.101.X_Repack_Catalyst series, for starters.
    Said this, you can probably trigger whatever detection scheme they'll be using for their non-GCN workarounds by just editing DriverVersion (or was it ReleaseVersion?) strings in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

17. IceCrash

IceCrash Guest

GPU:
    4GB's
  18. deton24

deton24 Member

GPU:
    a bit outdated
    So, Fire Pro drivers will behave better than your latest package from the 1st post: "16.101.X_Repack_radeonset_17.1.1_Jan30_dxva-nocl_[WIP].7z"?

So could you upload these mentioned FirePro drivers:
    https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation/previous/graphics?os=Windows 10 - 64&rev=15.201.2401.1010
    into the 1st post, with posible inf modification if it's needed? (or post at least only inf for dekstop series + link to drivers or other with needed fixes/instructions to run these drivers on 5xxx/6xxx).

Mobility inf created for 7600M+8650G for FirePro is posted here:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/16-101-2901-1001.409002/page-23#post-5497567
    Don't know whether it works on other mobility 7xxx 8xxx models, and I don't think that it will work on desktops. But don't know.

Could you post your inf file, or anything that you modified? Or maybe whole package?
    What is your GPU? It was not 7770, because it is still supported by official drivers? Are they worse than official HD 7xxx?

If anyone need (old post, don't know if necessary):
    And this drivers is claimed to achieve better performance in CS GO:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...-modded-driver-enduro-powerxpress-fix.388380/ in comparison to modified from here, and beta official.
    Few pages above it was mentioned. And in W7 FPS are better.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  19. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    The only thing they have better is the signature.
    For the reminder they are quite worse and older than whatever user1 managed to pull off from the holy 16.101.2901.1003.

Also, please, for the n-th time, discuss issues of switchable graphics on leshcatlabs forums. Just about nobody is knowledgeable of that here.
    Decreased performance with anything after 14.4 was already discussed (and solved possibly) there to exhaustion.

20. deton24

deton24 Member

GPU:
    a bit outdated
    Was it fixed?
    I read whole thread, you know, and I'd still kindly ask for some clarification.

In this user1 newest package is still bug in Fortnite and Frostbite engine games.
    Maybe these FirePro drivers will be better than official 16.2.1 beta or older final version.