15 Years of Wireless LAN

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Wi-Fi Alliance celebrates 15 years of Wi-Fi. Interoperability, ease of use, and innovation have made Wi-Fi one of the greatest success stories of the last century, and Wi-Fi Alliance has an extensive ...

15 Years of Wireless LAN

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    They've been around longer than my country has had wireless internet and broadband lol.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Damn. I remember when wireless LAN was just a faint glow compared to now.

4. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    And I remember plug&pray, network instabilities and all that :)
    WiFi took it's sweet time to get where it is now, and it's still rather slow.

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    wifi is more then enuff for the crappy expensive net where i live.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And to think, I'm trying to figure out how to hardwire my entire house for ethernet.....all because wifi doesn't have the range to cover my entire house without having multiple routers/AP's.....

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you heard of Amped Wireless before?
    http://www.ampedwireless.com/

Ive never used them, but talked to a few people on other forums who say they can get ranges of ridiculous distances with their routers, not just basement to attic, but like streets away type of distances
    http://www.ampedwireless.com/family/routers.html

8. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Yeah, I remember bad-old-days when 56k modems were the shizzle and a Pentium 90MHz was a high-end processor. I was so very happy when my local ISP rolled out ADSL. Still use it today because, unlike the big cable modem ISPs, the my local ISP doesn't cap or throttle. My upload speeds may be a bit slower but my bandwidth is unlimited and it never slows down. Now they're rolling out fiber but I'll wait until they get all the inevitable kinks in the system ironed out.

One of the derps I've seen my ISP do is to insist on putting the router in the same place as the ODN box (that's the box that turns the fiber optic signal into Ethernet). The ODN box is usually against the interior wall of a basement because that's where the rest of the utility cabinets usually are. Well, the router should be in the centre of the home so the WiFi bubble covers as much of the home as possible. Instead, they put the WiFi router in a place where half of it's bubble is wasted; Not only is half of it's signal being blocked by the concrete and ground that it's pressed up against, but unless you spend most of your time outside (and in this climate people just do not do that) there's no reason to have the router against an exterior wall. This wouldn't be so bad if the ISP would ask the customer where they want the router located, but they don't. Since most cutomers are technologically illiterate they have no idea that locating the WiFi router in a basement against an exterior wall is a bad idea, so they don't ask to have it moved. So much fail.

On the flip side it gives me a bit of extra work installing repeaters and/or moving the router. :grin:

As for me, my router is three feet from my workstation and the workstation is in the middle of my home so all my devices are happy and so am I.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yeah, the local Bestbuy sells Amped Wireless routers and range extenders. They're ridiculously priced though. Be cheaper to buy a MoCA bridge and run another coax line.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not fancy powerline adapters? Probably the easiest option to cover the whole house, not sure about quality/latency once you run through powerlines though

11. Terje_P

Terje_P Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    At least we don't have those horrible third party wireless clients anymore.

To my understanding Windows didn't have a built in one until one of the Service Pack for Windows XP.

12. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Cabled connection is sooooo much more stabile than Wireless anyways, so youre alot better off using some cat 6 cables for your house.

Like 50% of the calls i get at Work, are wifi related issues.

13. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Depends on the houses wiring really, both houses i've used them in have been great, like 2-300 mbs on a 500mbs set of adapters between any given point.

Although i did have an amusing problem in that before I encrypted them i was connecting to someone elses powerline adapter network XD (This was in an old terraced house, so i guess the wiring was connected somehow)

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My network is pretty stable. It just doesn't have the range I need, even with a range extender. My house has cement board walls and ceilings. It's great for insulating against radio signals. Can't even listen to the radio inside the house without a lot of static.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I've had experience with powerlines pretty much every day the past few years and if you want the lowest latencies (at least on commercial models), go for Devolo's of at least 500mbit.

The 200mbit models seem to be getting 3 to 5 ms, I've only seen the 500's hit 1 ms (on good power cabling).

16. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Yay.
    15 years of High ping, packet loss and bad coverage for the average user.

Yes, as you can see, I don't like Wifi that much. -_-

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The day wifi becomes as stable as wired ping/packet lose and all that i will switch to it as i really dont like wires I will do wireless mouse/kb but internet is not something i will do wireless atlest not for a personal pc i game on.