$15 per hour minimum wage...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Sep 3, 2017.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    The problem with increasing minimum wage is inflation.

A proper (fair) tax code would make a bigger difference than increasing minimum wage because inflation wouldn't become a problem.

Inflation is a permanent problem, but increasing minimum wage accelerates inflation.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Radeon RX 580
    Now that you mention it, I think the minimum wage should be pegged to inflation (a wage hike like this wouldn't be necessary if this had been the case). I'm also a monetarist when it comes to inflation - although wages can have a short-term effect on inflation (among other things), over the long-term it is the supply of money that determines the price of goods and services (and the supply of money is controlled by the banks). If inflation does become an issue then I expect the central bank to raise interest rates to counter it - rates are pretty low at the moment so there's plenty of room to maneuver.

XP-200 likes this.
  3. Vibe

Vibe Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Poor people will continue to be poor regardless of what the minimum wage is. There are 90 million people on assistance programs with many living the lifestyle of a $50-$60,000 a year income if you include all the benefits. Further that with taking advantage of donations of food, clothing..etc and they're all set.
    Daycare costs start at $400 a week but make a penny below a 20 hour minimum wage job and it's practically free. Ain't nobody goin to go to school or get a better job when your groceries are free, that's crazy. Our country is very back assword in so many ways and often times hypocritical. Ultimately welfare stems from a deep rooted fear of white collar people being victims of the increase in crime from the blue collar workers while the legit poor's crime rates never changed to begin with. Welfare isn't a tool like it should be rather it's a pacifier for both the blue collar working class to stay where they are and the un-employable class to live a blue collar lifestyle more than it is a legitimate attempt to help the non employed class of poor people with the tools to get to where they need to be in life.

You can't help people that refuse to help themselves. Low wage jobs is like teaching a man to fish except you have to buy him bait that he wastes, a pole that he drops in the water and asks you if you'd mind swimming in to get the fish for him.
    Then you have a great number of mentally deficient folks that that would take the fishing rod and use it as a back scratcher while talking to an invisible leprechaun. On FB right now, a video from my home town is being shared of a man dragging a dead possum with it's guts hanging out...just walking around town taking his little buddy there for a walk. I don't worry about my tax dollars being used for him to take advantage of daycare or nothing but inflations aren't going to help the donations of food to shelter's either.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    increased minimum wage doesn't have a short term affect on inflation. Every time minimum wage goes up, the cost of living goes up. The cost of living doesn't come back down. Cost of living increases are the result of inflation. Inflation, as a result of a $7.75 per hour increase in minimum wage, would eventually increase the cost of living to the point of $30,000/year being a nearly unlivable wage whereas in a lot of places, it'll still provide a comfortable lifestyle now.

Loophole35 and airbud7 like this.

5. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (pascal)
    LOL, you are one crazy dude, luv it!!! Make sure you claim all proceeds

airbud7 likes this.
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    Welfare was never meant to be what it turned into.... It was never meant for people to live off of. But, politicians looking for votes made it a survival system so the voters they wanted to take advantage of would blindly support them. Every social program exists for political reasons. None of them exist simply because it was right. Fact is, even though the ideas themselves are good, the implementations through various social programs has been very poor.

Social Security.... was established to ensure the elderly would have enough money to live off of after they retired, whether they established a retirement program themselves or not. Politicians saw it fit to steal from social security to fund their own pet projects and now that the Government owes the money back to Social Security, they claim that it's costing too much money. Coincidentally, they stole the money from social security to begin with. It's actually a completely separate payroll deduction from income taxes and was established using a high yield account so that the balance would actually grow, allowing social security to be self-sustaining.

Welfare... was established to help the "less fortunate" get by until they regained employment. Thanks to politicians, it now funds lavish lifestyles for those too lazy to get jobs and the payments go up as moochers pop out more babies (limited to 5) but no longer has a requirement to find a job. It basically became long-term unemployment income with no requirement for past or future employment.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (pascal)
    It all boils down to the family core. Was I raised to work hard for what I earn, or work hard to see what I can get for "appearing" to work hard. Scamming the gov is a career goal for many. Their parents did it as did their parents parents.

If the family core is strong then minimum wage is nothing more than a building block on the way to a satisfying career.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 970 Strix
    Scary to know that here in the UK people are working away 40 hours a week on min wage and all they have to show for that hard work is half of that will be gone on rent and council tax, leaving them something like 450 quid a month, and that is before food, utility bills, work travel cost, clothes, basic houeshold goods, i mean that works out as having about 75 quid a week left in your pocket, i mean how in hell could anybody escape to something better with that to spare, just horrendous....and just to hammer home here in the UK just what the government thinks of said workers, they will be lucky if they can get 40 hours a week these days thanks to the disgusting abuse of zero hour contracts up and down the country by many a employer.
    The UK treats min wages workers like crap if i am honest, long hours, low pay, and hoping they work themselves into a early grave before they can claim any pension.....and do not even get me started on nurses pay in this country when i have to see fat lazy self-serving MPs giving themselves above inflation rises every year.:mad:

airbud7 likes this.
  9. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I see why people resist the bump in the wage increase, but every part of the country is different. it is so expensive in San Francisco, noone can live within 2 hours from here that doesnt have make a ton o money. My house is a 850 square foot rancher, and its worth 950k

airbud7 likes this.
  10. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (pascal)
    You all can not see the forest for the trees!!!!

airbud7 likes this.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti sc+
    That's not true. Workers that rely on tips are actually exempt from being paid minimum wage and are paid far less. Like in the $3.00 per hour range.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    airbud7 likes this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    True^....I never thought that was fair...

[​IMG]

Well not always....

JaxMacFL likes this.