"15 Current Technologies A Child Born Today Will Never Use"

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by deltatux, May 15, 2012.

1. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Today Yahoo! published an article called "15 Current Technologies A Child Born Today Will Never Use", and it talks about the technologies we used today that the next generation of children will never use.

There are some that I agree with like primetime TV, phone numbers (though not an absolute, I think it'll take longer to phase out like 30-50 years), fax machine, landline phones, optical discs, movie theatres (to some extent because even with home entertainment options, you are still missing the core experience that theatres can bring to the masses).

What I don't agree with:
    - wired networks (core backbone of the Internet infrastructure, big companies and almost essential for gamers ... latency is still horrid and will most likely be horrid for years or even decades to come as long as interference is of concern)
    -hard drive (even though SSDs are growing, the rate of growth doesn't match the exponential growth of hard drive technology in terms of density and reliability)
    - dedicated cameras/camcorders (optical > digital zoom, and no SLR on phones, 'nuff said),
    - desktop computers (while popularity will drop, it will still be around, desktops are still the workhorse for most business cases and will continue to drive the enthusiast computing market as laptops can only do so much)
    - the mouse (as long as first person shooter games and MMORPG are still around, the mouse will stay)

Article: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/15-current-technologies-child-born-today-never-142409696.html

Thoughts?

deltatux

2. Goutan

Goutan Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I don't think us "old folk" will be willing to give up the technologies we've been so absorbed by. Just as our grandparents keep annoying as hell ideas alive, we'll do the same to our children. I think that tech is outpacing human development, and as such, many of us will hold onto these legacy concepts and create a retro market for them.

For example, I have a feeling mice will still be developed for an elitist gaming population for years to come. This along with movie theatres and desktops.

Also, the girl who doesn't remember dial up would probably remember it if she heard the connecting sounds the modems made. If not, she's missed out on a beautiful evolution.

I do feel that for any situations beyond studio level productions, cameras will be absorbed into our universal phones. This homogeneity feels too iminent already.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My son is only 4 years old and he's already used most of that.....

Landline phones aren't going to disappear that fast.... Look at the cost of cellphone service.... The cellular plan I had 6 years ago, now costs twice as much.... Optical discs will exist until data/bandwidth caps are removed. Primetime TV isn't a technology.....lol Nor are phone numbers.... Slow booting computers are a technology? Does that writer have any clue WTF technology is????

I think it's safe to say that the writer is clueless...

4. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    Jesus, I was born over two decades ago and I don't think I've even seen a fax machine.

5. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    silly mouses are here to stay

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's Yahoo! so there you go.

However, phone numbers may eventually disappear when things like Skype and stuff that may replace traditional telephony but not as dramatically fast as the author seems to think. I'd stick to my 30 - 50 years estimate.

As for slow computer booting, the author was referring to SSDs but I don't see that completely replacing hard drives. They'll be ubiquitous by then but not outright replaced. SSDs won't probably gain the same reliability (unless you drop it) anytime soon, probably it'll take a decade (worst case scenario). Until then, a kid born today will still rely on HDDs for mass storage.

Last time I worked a fax machine was ummm, in February and I had to ask my parents how to use one again since it was when I was like 13 when I used a fax machine. My family was an early adopter of scanners so...

deltatux

7. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Mouse will not disappear

8. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Movie theaters are not going anywhere fast. They just need to stay two steps ahead of home theater tech, which is not hard (excluding the top 5% of the population who can continuously afford the absolute latest and greatest).

9. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I use one about 10 times a night. They're great for sending hard copies to email with one click. Like it or not, there is still a ton of actual paper being processed in the business world. No scanning necessary, just slip in the paperwork, and it's a PDF on someone's phone, half way across the world in seconds.

I LOVE my fax machine ♥

Beyond that, I Still hold out hope for prime time TV, and the good old fashioned movie theater. Entertainment sucks today, but things can change. First, the industry needs to lose a few bucks to force them to re think their approach. Who would have thought the drive in theater would still be in business in the year 2012? Still a blast, and well worth the money.

IMO, this article focuses on the 20 something techie. Not the family guy, or the average working stiff. As we all know, not everyone is a Guru. If they were, we here would have a lot more time on our hands.

* On a personal level- I have two black belts, a Glock, and a German Shepherd. I double dog dare you to try getting my remote !!

10. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    cant help but think hardcore techie's like this guy think the future is allot closer than it is

11. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    You need a landline for broadband also FTTC isn't even fully rolled out yet

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    hmm i just don't believe many of those will disappear in NEAR future. but well 3d glasses will be gone for sure. landlines here in finland for using as a phone line are kinda disappearing people use more cellphones then old fashioned ways :D majority has only cellphone

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Lots of bull**** in that article and a narrow minded "cosnumer/mainstream" only perspective...

Almost all of those listed will still be there in one way or another. The first one with wired network made me lol, I'm sure the one who wrote the article has no clue what of a huge diffrence in dl/ul speed there is when comparing wired to wireless.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Huh? mobile phone subscriptions are extremely cheap here and it's cheaper now than before (0,66 €/month, 0,069 €/min, 0,069 €/SMS and 2,95 € for unlimited data which is speed limited to normal 3G speeds but at least is doesn't have any data caps). Landline is much more expensive for making calls (or to even keep it). They really like to pee on their customers in NA it seems.

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Not here man. I wish palns were that cheap. Sprint, At&t and Verizon Wireless are the big 3 in the states. Sprint being the cheapest in palns for the most part, with Verizon having the most expensive ones. Luckly for me, i'm granfathered in on the unlimited data package with Verizon Wireless otherwise it would be another $30 extra a month on top of the $117 a month im already paying.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    $117 a month, Jesus dude thats mad. But yeah, this article is kinda lame, it missed a lot of major viewpoints.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If I canceled the insurance on my phone i'd save $8 a month. Plus the FCC and State gov nickel and dime your ass to death on the monthly bill as well.

18. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I almost think this article is meant to troll us all, but the sad part is, he seems to be serious. :3eyes:

19. nodo

nodo Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT260
    They forgot to add "Yahoo" to the list ...

20. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Wired
    Mouse
    Desktop

Cant read any more, the article is utter bs.