1440p + Gtx 980

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Justhavocman, Jan 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Justhavocman

Justhavocman Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670 DC2
    I am thinking of upgrading to a 1440p monitor and a gtx 980 , will the card be able to handle maxed out games at that resolution ,and will it keep up with the games for at least 2 years? Thanks in advance.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Maxed with 60fps at 1440P and for 2 more years? no not happening, youll need 2 980/970s for that

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no. not even 2x 980 will max every game at 60fps. Blame crap coding. I run a single 970 at 1440p and it's fine for games, as long as you don't mind lowering a detail here and there.

4. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    The above two posters have crazy high standards.
    I haven't forfitted on quality in any game and they run fine on a single gtx970 @ 1440p. The most demanding games may not run at 60fps average, but they are running well above 30fps.
    If your new monitor is going to support gSync as well you're going to have a blast.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Read the OP before you post. a single 980 will crawl in a lot of games at 1440p maxed. Most recently DA:I, AC:U, FC4. And many others, new and old games I could name. Is it fine enough to run most games with high settings? Sure. I don't understand your confusion.

EDIT: Well above 30fps but less than 60fps is unacceptable for me. I don't do stuttermess.

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Are you annoyed by vSync lag or what?
    Your average movie is at 24 fps, your average console game is at 30 fps. I know you play console games, so are you just being hypocrite right now or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjK4EHUS_e8
    That's the first google hit of a video of Dragon Age Inquisition on a 980GTX @ 1440p. It's always higher than 40fps. So if you keep fooling yourself like that you must have a difficult life.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why are we suddenly talking about me being annoyed by vsync? why are we talking about films? why are we talking about consoles?

Let's talk about the OP's question. maybe you should try that. A single 980 won't max games even at 1080p. not with playable framerates. And it won't do it for 2 years from now, of course.

I'm not a hypocrite. Console games drop to lower fps than I would tolerate on my pc. Let's face it, my mouse and keyboard almost cost me as much as my ps4. so if a ps4 runs a bit meh, I'll tolerate that. But I have my pc to play games at 60fps or above. That's why I also have a 120hz monitor. And a gpu that cost almost as much as the ps4. So... I can tolerate lower framerates on ps4 because it's cheap. I also tolerate input lag on consoles, I also don't mind not having 120hz refresh rate on consoles. It's because console gaming is completely different from PC gaming but you would know that if you had any common sense about you.

And they are clever with motion blur on consoles. Same goes for films, motion blur all over the place. Not sure why I'm even talking to you.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    No let's talk about your hypocricy, playing games on your console at 30fps and then stating that anything sub 60fps is unplayable and that the 980GTX can't max out games at 1080p, lmao.

I think the OP is better off making up an answer on his own instead of reading the stuff that's posted here.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    On my pc, I won't tolerate anything less than 60fps. On consoles I do, because they are cheap and I buy them expecting lower framerates.

and no, a single 980 can't max every game at 1080p. In fact, not even 980 sli can max every game at 1080p, if you want 60fps. Now crawl back into your cave.

I'm done arguing with you. you come back yapping away, I'll just ignore it so don't bother. You're wrong of course, as always.

OP, 980 will play games fine at 1440p but don't expect maxing games out. you'll have to lower some settings. But you'll enjoy your games. I would still consider a 970, it makes much more sense seeing as it costs a lot less and performs very similar to a 980.

EDIT: OP, just to show you why you should ignore that moron Vulture, here's AC: U performance... Yes, a single 980 is getting a staggering average fps of 24.4 at 1440p with ultra settings http://www.anandtech.com/show/8738/benchmarked-assassins-creed-unity/2

Just one of the few games you'll struggle with. Same goes for DA:I. Users with 970 Sli on this forum have drops into the 40s. So expect less than that in certain areas in DA:I.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I know I'm going for 980 SLI just to not have to upgrade in two years @ 1440p.

11. Vipu2

Vipu2 Master Guru

GPU:
    1070ti
    It all depends what game you play and what fps you want to play with.
    Also downsampling, there is never enough gpu power.