1440p 60FPS vs 4K 30FPS (on a 65 inch 4K tv)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ElistonCole, Feb 4, 2020.

1. ElistonCole

ElistonCole New Member

GPU:
    AMD
    My pc has a gtx 1070 and lately I've been playing shadow of war at 1440P high settings and getting 60 fps, but I've read alot that because it is not the native resolution it would look much better to play on 4K even though I have to turn a few settings to medium and only get 30 FPS.

2. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2060 OC
    Native resolution is always going to look slightly better due to the re-scaling, but it depends what you prefer - 60fps to 30fps is not a small difference, I would personally sway towards 1440p 60fps. Personal preference though.

If the game has an internal resolution scaling percentage slider, you could use that to find the highest resolution percentage for your screen while maintaining 60fps.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its up to you. Try both resolutions, both graphics settings and use whatever you feel plays/looks better.

4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I would go for 60 fps, every time.
    Higher frame rates improve gameplay, especially when considering such a big diference as going from 30 to 60 fps.

5. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    I always prefer native resolutions, even if i had to drop every setting to the absolute minimum to get 60+ fps.
    so native res, 60 fps LOW settings.

6. dexterav

dexterav Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 2080Ti
    personaly i am not FPS chser and my prefernce is more resolution than FPS
    but 30fps its totaly horrible for me, my lowest usable framerate is around 40-50fps
    i dont see any difernce between my 120 alien ware and notebook with 60hz
    i undestand about 120Hz+ for CS, apex or similar game, not help for me :D
    still you just try and see, if dont have problem with 30fps i supese 4k its better