144 Hz + Vsync + triple buffering

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Terepin, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    So, I might be switching to this ASUS baby. The question I have is how will game behave when FPS deeply bellow 144 Hz with BOTH Vsync and triple buffering. I know how they behave on a 60 Hz: They begin to lag. Will this the same happens on 144 Hz?

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The same will happen.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yes, but it's not as easy to tell. If Vsync can't match the highest refresh rate, it chooses the "next level" so to speak. So if you were using 120HZ and only getting 100FPS, it would back down to half, which would be sixty.

I find though that with my VG248QE, I don't need Vsync at all for most games even if I'm not getting over 120FPS. A higher refresh rate just seems to make tearing less likely.

4. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    That would be true, if it was double buffered Vsync. But I'm talking about triple buffered Vsync.

5. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    ****. Well, how can I change refresh frequency per game? Can it be done with drivers through Inspector?

6. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I just got the VG248 the other day and haven't had much time to use it, but Battlefield 4 works beautifully with adaptive vsync half refresh rate, so 72FPS. Runs much smoother than what I was seeing with my old 60hz LCD. Just Cause 2 I was playing with vsync and the FPS were ~110 and it ran really well.

Remember with this monitor you will be able to mod it with the G-Sync module when it comes out, so the monitor will be refreshed at whatever the game is running at which should technically eliminate any tearing and stuttering without the use of triple buffering or vsync, or so I understand. Sounds too good to be true, but who knows.

7. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    That's great, but I'm asking for triple buffered Vsync. I won't be limited to jumping from 144 to 72 FPS.

8. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    I think the input lag will becoming large if you drop to 72 FPS with triple-buffering, except you don't want the triple-buffering.
    And there are still difference, as the monitor is 1ms gtg, right?

9. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    I have HW triple buffering. Even if I wanted to turn it off, which I don't, I can't. Not without disabling SLI altogether.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    There isn't much point in running a 120 / 144Hz monitor with VSync on if your FPS does not match your refresh rate. Tearing and stutter are reduced with those high refresh rates. Add VSync into the mix and it would feel worse than with VSync off.

11. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    Reduced - yes, eliminated - no. I can't stand anything that screws quality.
    Forcing Vsync 1/2 of refresh rate will help, yes?

12. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    In my experience, using 1/2 refresh Vsync creates more input lag than capping the framerate in half using RTSS (plus standard Vsync). Additional frames (or draw calls) seem to queue up on the graphics stack when the GPU is forced to wait two Vsync intervals.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    For all intents and purposes, there is *no* tearing at 120Hz. If you are going to freak out when you see a tearline as you dip to 60FPS or so (just an example), then that's a disaster.

There isn't a single solution for everything unless dynamic refresh rates (ala G-Sync style) become the norm. Until then, using VSync to eliminate tearing will induce input lag which I won't bare in a shooter, for example.

No need for VSync half refresh rate, just run at 60Hz. I'm not sure VSync half refresh rate works with everything, might want to make sure.

That mode is made for instances where it's disadvantageous for the monitor's refresh rate to be halved from its nominal value, aka 60Hz. The monitor / TV might not support 30Hz and it could impact how the LCD insides work, overdrive technique and such.

I've heard that could introduce stutter since the FPS is not exactly half the refresh rate? Never tried though, talking about stutter (and input lag) is pretty tricky at 30FPS ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  14. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    I've found that most stuttering I encounter is due to buggy game engine or graphics driver, and rarely due to my configuration.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    That's interesting. I will test on my config then.

16. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    It's probable that 1/2 refresh Vsync may "feel" smoother, but with smoothness often comes additional input lag.

On an ideal configuration, the CPU and GPU will produce frames at such a pace that the amount of time they spend waiting on each other is minimized. That is where we'll feel the least amount of input latency.

17. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    Currently I have around 16ms of lag. I got used to it. The important thing is it's smooth like butter. And that is far more important for me than having blazing fast responsiveness, but with bull**** on screen that makes me puke.

18. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Yeah. The amount of input lag we can tolerate usually varies by game.

19. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    I'm using Vsync in every game I have and I don't have problems with neither of them. All are pretty much the same.

20. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 Dual-x Boost
    so a 120 hz monitor is bad if someone don't have a gpu can maitain 120 fps all time?