14.X and 15.X recurring multimonitor issue.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Muchope, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Muchope

Muchope Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DirectCU
    @AMDMatt and @AMDJoe am desperately in need rescuing since all my previous submitted driver reports must have been lost in limbo as the issue still persists.

Since drivers 14.0, in a normal extended desktop multimonitor setup whenever any of the displays is turned off (standby); when its powered back on, the display is treated as having been physically disconnected then replugged and the desktop is reconfigured, thankfully to its previous arrangement; but with all windows and icons rearranged on the primary display.

This behavior persists even when waking monitors when they were automatically turned off due to inactivity. Interestingly one monitor, U2412M, is immune to this regardless of DisplayPort, HDMI or DVI being used.

The behavior seems universal to all AMD GPUs I have (tested 6950, 7950, R9 290) and all exhibit the same issue post 14.0 but all work normally pre 14.0.

Am currently stuck using driver 13.12 and momentarily upgrade to play new game releases but have to downgrade immediately, to maintain sanity, during my long periods of no gaming activity.

The problem is that I want to officially upgrade to windows 10 but won't have driver 13.12 to fall back to; build 10240 + driver 13.12 = BSOD! Issue still persists on Win 10 with latest drivers.

These threads, thread 1 and thread 2, echo sentiments from different members with the same issue and we humbly request that you please raise this issue with the driver team as there is a niche group of non-vocal AMD fans that are affected by this very annoying issue.

2. pseudo555

pseudo555 Member

GPU:
    sapphire R580
    I got two Sapphire HD 7770 (crossfire disabled) which manage each two illyama screen (19" 5:4), one using DVI, one usin dvi to VGA adapter with VGA cable.
    I don't use eyefinity.

I always update my driver using WHQL version, and got no issue since i got my GPUs.

I use UltraMon (google it as i can't post link) to monitor and manage my multiple screen display. I also used hydravision when it was still delivered (before 14.9 if i remember well).

I never had/view issue like yours. but i found something interesting which might interest you :
    Screens using HDMI or DP doesn't always work if they are turn off before computer start.

3. Muchope

Muchope Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DirectCU
    Interesting that you don’t have the issue…but judging from the lack of multimonitor users up in arms with pitchforks; I concluded that that driver level changes introduced in 14.1 causing these issues is affecting a small group with some particular displays more at fault.

I always blame my software/hardware environment first whenever I encounter an abnormal software behavior…this led to rigorous troubleshooting with lean fresh OSes and minimal hardware to minimize conflicts: 3 completely unique systems tested with different combinations of monitors. (keep my old hardware after upgrading)
    - Wolfdale system
    - Yorkfield system
    - Sandy Bridge System
    And the conclusion was post 13.12 drivers are to blame. A friend with a haswell system is also experiencing the same behavior.

As for managing the multimonitor setup, I used to swear by DisplayFusion but stopped using it recently due to the occasional window title bar corruption it would cause. It has a lot very good multimonitor features, Just like Ultramon, which hinge on application hooks that would cause conflicts with some other applications.

Any other members here experiencing this? It surely can't only be a handful of us.

4. mrthuvi

mrthuvi Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DCII
    Similar setup and harware here. Never had your problem but I have had occasionally black screen after resuming from a long period of idle.

You can try to power the secondary monitor through the igpu, significantly lower idle clock and temperature, and possibly power consumption as well. Even then the black screen would occasionally returned and only fixed by disabling ulps in the registry.

5. wuudpecker

wuudpecker New Member

GPU:
    Asus 7750
    I have exactly same problems with my multimonitor setup. Last driver that worked was 13.12, but it seems a bit outdated now. I can also confirm the U2412M is somewhat less affected by this issue.

6. pseudo555

pseudo555 Member

GPU:
    sapphire R580
    From what i see here, all of you seems to have intel processor (i'm not). might it be a shipset or igpu issue ?
    What is the status (enable/disable in bios) of your intel's iGPU ?

7. wuudpecker

wuudpecker New Member

GPU:
    Asus 7750
    OK, so I got a few things to report.
    In my case the difference between the main monitor (iiyama) and the second one (U2412M) is probably in better ADC (automatic display controls) of the main monitor. When the monitors go to sleep, the main monitor registers as being disconnected and all the open windows on the secondary monitor(!) are transferred to the HDMI (TV), which becomes the new main monitor.

If I unplug the HDMI and wait for the sleep process, the problem is gone (so one monitor plugged on the DP and one on the DVI, hdmi unplugged).

The above configuration is when everything is plugged in AMD GPU. However if I'm powering only the main monitor on the AMD GPU, the TV and secondary monitor on the iGPU - then this solution kind of works.

As Muchope mentioned, this happens only when using the drivers after the 13.12 release.

8. Muchope

Muchope Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DirectCU
    We seem to have a similar setup of 2 monitors + HDTV(HDMI) which might be one of the unique combinations that triggers the issue.

Interesting find regarding unplugging the HDMI display. Does forgoing the HDMI output and using other outputs to the tv alleviate the issue?

Am currently on 13.12 so can't test different output combinations but am preparing to upgrade to win 10 and will be able to test; DP+DP+DVI, DP+DVI+DVI...as many possible permutations and hopefully there will be a winning combination.

9. wuudpecker

wuudpecker New Member

GPU:
    Asus 7750
    Sorry, can't test outputs other than hdmi on the tv.
    If it helps, I tried plugging the tv to the hdmi on the igpu and secondary monitor on the AMD GPU, but the problem was still present. So the primary monitor has to be plugged alone on the AMD GPU.

I think the problem is in the sleep process turning off the main monitor, which then causes the desktop rearrangement.

Another annoyance that I noticed, is whenever I turn-on the tv, all the monitors go blank for a moment. No windows are rearranged, everything just automatically turns off and then turns on. This was also not present with the 13.12 driver.

10. Pictus

Pictus Active Member

GPU:
    R9 280x 3GB
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

11. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    This has been a problem for a long goddamn time, OP even responded in this thread I made over a year ago

12. wuudpecker

wuudpecker New Member

GPU:
    Asus 7750
    Hm, I have to retract my statements for the igpu solution workaround. While this solution does solve the screen blanking issue, it still rearranges open windows, but in this case from the main display. Before, it only happened with windows opened on the secondary display.
    In this case, the rearrangement happens immediately after monitor wakes up, so you can actually see windows moving away to the hdmi(TV).

Another workaround is to turn off the display sleep function and use the screen saver.

13. wuudpecker

wuudpecker New Member

GPU:
    Asus 7750
    Any news on solving this problem? Crimson drivers behave exactly the same...

14. ohmerx

ohmerx Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Tri-X
    maybe not a perfect fix for your problem ,
    but maybe you can try to disable the screen autodetection, but your pc will consider that all your monitor is always on i think.
    I don't know if this "fix" could help you, so tell me if your want to test this solution.