13.1 Drivers with HD 4890 or..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by agd900, May 6, 2013.

1. agd900

agd900 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4890 XOC 1gig
  2. Danny Nissan

Danny Nissan Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4890 1GB
  3. gabrielinio_32

gabrielinio_32 Member

GPU:
    ati 4890+4870
    ati 4890 work in 3d ?

4. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    Give 13.4 a try

The new Cat.13.4 seems stable, performance is sufficient - not having any real issue with them so the level of satisfaction has risen. The proverbial heads of AMD seem to be getting half-way out of their asses but I am no expert on this particular matter.

With 13.1 I've gone through tons of BSoDs (with prevalent atikmpag.dll issues) but it seems it was caused by some shady AMD HDMI driver which I promptly excluded during installation of 13.4.

Man don't I just loooooove those complete uninstallation processes of somehow faulty drivers with plethora of restarts followed by not only occasional BSoDs, unknowingly deleting important registry values in safe mode just "to be sure" every bit of previous drivers is pushing up the daisies, praying the "last known good configuration" to work etc..:infinity:

Jolly good moments..:bang:

5. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    The HDMI audio driver in Legacy 13.4 was changed from .7706 to 7708 (from out of catalyst 12.8 fixing the loss of audio on resume from sleep which was already available in 13.1R mod)

Use the HDMI driver from 10.6 if you have to for HTPC. (It's fine)

As for the driver itself, the changes in 13.4 are minimal at best and therefore no less crashworthy than either 13.1 or 12.6 (Try 3dmark 2013 cloudgate :) )

The atikmpag.sys of 13.4 is moreover the same and unchanged, with all the same clock bugs etc. Any driver past 12.3 is poor in DX10 crossfire for BFBC2.

I found 3dmark 2013 doesn't crash on 10.12 or 11.1 (drivers outside this range are hit and miss) :)

Hence on 4870x2 I'm using a self-medicated 11.1 with latest .11774 opengl components (to play rage and do the PS CS6 thing) and other components hacked to work like 11.7's aticfx32/64 for modern game (F1 2012) and cap support, along with some other fix-ups etc, along with stream SDK 2.3.

And all in all things are stable, snappy, and good on a modified 11.1, even for skyrim remapped to oblivion.exe. I'm not convinced on the 12.x series for legacy, and consider them buggy and sluggish, containing as they do no gains for much older cards, it's the way things roll with the drivers. There is a certain range that works well, and it's all downhill from there.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  6. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    I am wondering as if those refined remixed version of your drivers would be accessible to us mere mortals or does the install and setup process require knowledge and craftmanship of a high-skilled afro-american driver magician?

Btw. Did you modify those aforementioned drivers specifically for your 4870x2 or have you tested it on some "legacy" one-chip solution too (gaining any benefits)?

You don't have to answer immediately, take your time and do it right...:coffee2::approval:

7. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I have already re-released a 10.8 and 10.9a hotfix drivers (that fixes the originals which never worked properly to begin with in crossfire) in the 11.12 Hybrid thread.

I also plan to cook something up for 10.12/11.1 yes which is what i'm using currently, when I have more time on my hands and have moved home, which fixes things like dynamic contrast stripes in DXVA, support for modern games, patched in up to date working opengl, opencl with speed increases for photoshop etc, decent HDMI driver for HTPC use, support for modern caps past 11.3 without crashing IE9/10, and of course stabilty and speed with no 3dmark 2013 crashes or atikmpag.sys misbehaviours and broad game compatibility without issue and faster more compatible CCC without bugs+other tweaks and fixes, which should work in theory much better and faster than the bug ridden mess we have right now. It's not quite ready to share yet, but....

Stay tuned... :)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  8. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S A|480 X
    Btw kevsamiga1974, which set of official drivers were the last to properly support 2D clocks with a HD48XX CF, 11.12s? And with newer CAPS, will they load newer CF profiles for current games? (I have a morbid curiosity to add another HD4890 to my aging rig.)
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    8.951.1 (03 March 2012)

But those drivers are bad (taken in whole) and cause hangs and crashes for x-fire, so in that case either 7800's release drivers 8.950.5 or 12.2 WHQL. (8.950) Although the CCC is borked and needs replacing.

Starting with 12.3 WHQL the bug appeared, and even the Feb 2012 8.96 (12.4 beta's from even earlier had the clocks bug on more than 1 ASIC)

Also anything whose atikmdag.sys 2D component driver version is higher than .1135 has it. I could find no later versions since then that doesn't either a) work on legacy or b) doesn't have the bug.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S A|480 X
    Thanks once again for the clarification!

11. rno

rno Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    I'm still using 12.6 WHQL with my HD4890. Stable and good performance even with latest games like BioShock Infinite.

12. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    really i have no problem with the clock bug, kev's own tool on startup is all i need http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4383863#post4383863

the bigger concern is the broken apps/games & getting the most fps

that morbid 4890 curiosity is fine, just saying the clock bug is the last thing i'd look at

13. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes I must say only using a single 4870 or 4890 there is no clock bug post 12.2 driver. It's a multiple cards issue.

It's only a problem with more than one legacy GPU installed or multigpu cards.

Having said that, performance in legacy crossfire went down the pan post 12.3 driver (BFBC2 being one example) and there are other problems remaining, like browser GPU acceleration in the 12.x range, and crashes with UltraHD video past 9.10 driver, and 3dMark 2013 etc. 13.4 beta is a non starter due to broken CCC, OpenCL was removed under XP etc, and the later drivers on the whole don't certainly feel as "snappy" as earlier versions do from the 11.x and 10.x ranges did.

They still are in some need of spit and polish to bring them up to par, and tie up some loose ends, but in any case 4K series optimization ended on or around 10.9a anyway.

However, newer 12.6+ OpenGL components are always useful and they can be mixed with any older drivers after 10.11 inclusive, to get rid of the polynomial, cities in motion and quake 1+2 crashes etc, but the downside is crashes in WebGL, whereas older drivers not.

Oh well, can't have everything...