120Hz, 240Hz, Which Is It This Year?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Size_Mick, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I'm just checking to see whether all the cheap TVs are going to by lying about their refresh rates this year like they have in previous years. If I want a 120Hz TV, will I have to buy one that says 240Hz? And if I want a 240Hz TV do they even exist? Will they be disguised as a 480Hz TV?

drandiiski likes this.
  2. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    TV is maximum of 120hz PANEL as far as I know. Panel shows the true hz capabilities. Most of them are 60hz and premium gaming capable ones are 120hz. More frequency means interpolation by software and there is no truth inside, only panel is crystal clear with each setting.

3. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    That's my point, a lot of these TVs give you fake numbers on the "refresh rate" spec because they include some gimmick that is supposed to make things like football games seem smoother but doesn't in fact change the refresh rate at all. Rather it seems to blank the screen in between refreshes or something, causing the picture to actually look choppier. Yet these a-holes are somehow allowed to list this fake refresh rate as "refresh rate" in their specs. It seems like I can't know for sure until I hunt down the exact specs for each TV (which often DO NOT show up on the manufacturer's product info page) that I look at and it's frustrating that I need to go to such lengths just to get a straight answer. Believe me, "panel refresh rate" is a term I've rarely if ever seen in specifications, even on the manufacturers' own sites.

4. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    There are blessed sites like my favorite one displayspecifications . It helped me a lot before I buy my two new TVs. It's also legit for PC monitor, etc.

5. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Thanks for the link, bookmarked for later. Hopefully I'll get lucky and find a decent black friday deal for a 50" or bigger 4K 120Hz.

6. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Is that the case at present for all Television displays? What of "big-format-displays" none of them are sold with tv tuners?

7. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Best way to filter them IMO, would be to look at the input specs and see if it accepts more than 60hz at 4K. Otherwise they can market it as 120hz to a 1000000hz as they often do, but it is still a 60hz display...

K.S. likes this.