12.6 legacy driver reloaded.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Aug 20, 2012.

1. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes...Drivers for legacy cards started to go awry with accumalated bugs being introduced after the 7K launch circa Catalyst 12.2 as focus shifted to the latest cards.

Although I solved some bugs in the 12.6 reloaded like the broken crossfire clocks and missing features, there were lot's more problems AMD fudged compared to earlier versions, performance went backwards in some games, the DX9 components look fine, but the DX10/11 ones in 12.6 seem to have lost some performance (WEI scores after 12.3 went down amongst other horror stories of missing polygons in games), and I wasn't altogether happy with even the modified results compared to earlier versions, although for the most part it works fine without oddities, and is an improvement on the original.

I thought it might be better instead to import working user profiles and latest opengl for maximum supported hardware accelerated opengl into the last driver of the 11.x series since 11.12 seems to work already across a wide range of games and applications for legacy cards, skyrim included.

So there is a Hybrid 11.12 available for those like me that don't think the 12.x series are up to snuff for legacy cards, but still want the user profiles 12.x series offers. Why didn't I use 12.1 you say ? well browser GPU accelerated rendering is broken in crossfire across 12.1-12.4b along with Battlefield Bad Company 2 crossfire flickering re-introduced. Both problems don't exist in 11.12.

So these 11.12 Hybrid's are the ones I use 24-7 myself until (if ever) AMD releases anything else, as they give the best of both worlds. And are ultra stable in day to day use. :)

I also made a fixed 12.3 (which I haven't released) which fixed the kludged CCC opening and the broken clocks, but the Hybrid 11.12 works good as it stands for those that don't want to touch the 12.x series with a bargepole on legacy cards.

Latest is not always better performance. Oh, and erm....Happy new year from the UK, nice to see we didn't all perish in a mayan apocalypse after all even if we're all now completely skint instead. :banana:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Same experience here. Modded drivers have not worked for me (think it has to do with CFX, most users seem to be using single GPU legacy setups)

I would also agree with you that the hybrid 11.12 is better than this reloaded driver (as the OP also points out). Overall much smoother.

Here i was thinking that games and technologies were getting more demanding when all the while it was drivers that were progressively getting worse (at least from a legacy perspective). Glad i bit the bullet and "downgraded"!

3. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Some of the recent driver mods aren't working for ppl, because you just can't in all cases get away with using later components where the code has simply been hoovered away for legacy cards and doesn't exist, yet still expect them to function correctly...

Additionally driver signature enforcement patchguard for x64 is a knightmare, and complicates the install for the average joe public. And opens the back door to all sorts of nasties when it's disabled or turned off just to run one driver. Not a good idea.

On another note, for the legacy fans who look for something new that does work and is plug and play instead of plug and pray here is my final V6 12.6 reloaded driver I picked up and experimented with a bit further.

Windows Vista/7 x64. I don't have the time to create or test a x86 version, and you should be using x64 anyway as it's more secure. These uploads are huge enough for my connection as it is.

[​IMG]

Notes :

12.6 Reloaded V6 final release. More polishing, testing, and cleanup.

Latest CAP profiles included. 12.11 CAP 2

aticfx32/64 - updated to 8.17.10.1136 from 8.17.10.1129 - working without atiumdag.dll unloaded errors of other mod drivers.

Video decoding components updated to 8.14.10.363 from 8.14.10.359 - working

OpenGL subsystem ugraded to 6.14.10.11740 instead of 6.14.10.11653 of 12.6 legacy 218 HW/AC extensions registered - working

ATI stream CALs updated to 1.4.1741 from 1.4.1734 - working.

Hydravision removed due to CCC compatibility issues. CCC Updated to latest to work in Windows 8 compat mode install as a result of feedback.

Missing ATIPDL .inf references from v5r4 fixed up.

OpenGL atiogl.xml profiles and system cap atiapfxx.blb profiles updated. (more default profiles in user profile lists)

HDMI audio driver restored to 7.12.0.7708 resolves Disabled HDMI audio when the connected HDTV is powered Off/On.

User mode drivers atiu9pag,atiu9p64,atiuxpag,atiuxp64 updated from 8.14.1.6264 to 8.14.1.6290 (12.11) - Working

Other minor updates to recent .dll versions for more stability and robustness. - Working

Retains all bugfixes of previous versions, MultiGPU crossfire correct clock functioning, GPU accelerated video transcoding working etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mediafire.com/?954ipuoumljeub1 Deleted/replaced see below

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    12.6 Reloaded V6 r2 Final.

OpenGL subsystem ugraded to 6.14.10.11762 - Works

OpenCL runtime subsystem updated to 10.0.938.2 - Works

Catalyst Install Manager updated to 8.0.903.0

Fixed errors in atiogl.xml files gpucapsviewer vertex displacement mapping test broken, incorrect AFR-FriendlyOGL.exe crossfire AFR switches
    which would never have worked in the original atiogl.xml.

Hydravison restored.

Block write enabled by default.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the very last version with the highest components integrated that are tested and actually work. If anyone else feels they can improve upon it any further they are quite welcome to try.

If you're not happy with the performance of this final driver for legacy cards, you're welcome to try my 11.12 Hybrid driver instead including user profiles re-integrated and some bugs solved available from this thread here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=370745

Windows Vista/7 x64 only

http://www.mediafire.com/?nen5txdnr3go81d - Deleted/replaced see below

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

5. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Thanks for the new 12.6 version.
    Really liked the hybrid 11.12 drivers but it brought back the "green screen" when playing flash videos online, so i am trying out this version atm.

EDIT: Can confirm that the Green Screen bug has migrated with this version as well. Tested on YouTube and XBMC. Only way to fix is to disable DXVA or hardware acceleration.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Hmmm. Well...

I do know about the green flash bug problems with some various AMD driver versions and probably know of a way to fix it for people while still retaining the newer drivers. I've just been extremely lucky in that department.

I never encountered the bug on my travels with 4870x2 except with using old 9.x drivers where it was a green stripe along videos. Well I did for a short while in the 12.x range until I updated flash that was.

I can maybe fix the issue if I could reproduce the bug on 4870x2 somehow, is there a way to force it to happen for me I wonder. Since i'm on my own 11.12's atm ?

It seems strange it affects crossfired 4870's and not a single 4870x2, there might be the clue as to whether it happens on a single card ( including multigpu) or double crossfired cards.

If I did another Hybrid 11.12 release attempting to solve the issue would you be able to test green flash video problems so I can diagnose, since it would be a shame if people cannot use the modified drivers due to this annoying outstanding green screen video problem I never get to witness.

7. labodj

labodj Guest

GPU:
    AMD Mobility HD4670 1GB
    Hi, I read all the thread... I have to choose a driver for my mobility radeon hd4670 1gb gddr3, windows 7 x64.

I have 2 partitions, first for home, second for work, the driver for home partition must be performance and stable, the driver for work must be very stable.

Which of 2 driver (11.6 reloaded & 11.12) do you recommend to me?

8. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Hybrid 11.12 is the one I use day to day, stable, complete, minimal issues.

9. labodj

labodj Guest

GPU:
    AMD Mobility HD4670 1GB
    Thanks, I'm installing it! I'll let you know...

10. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Certainly, my preference would be to keep using 11.12 hybrid.
    I did not have this problem with the 12.6 Legacy OR your 12.6 reloaded V5, but the hardware acceleration bug is present in 12.6 reloaded V6.

11. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I see... I'll be attempting to fix them both. Clearly the updated video components in V6 are not adequate depending which card your using. I'll sort them both, along with the Hybrid 11.12 green screens I wasn't aware of. :whip:

12.6 Reloaded V6r3 - Vista/Windows 7 x64

- Solved green screen flash/video DXVA problems plaguing some users depending on H/W.

- Fix OpenGL gpucapsviewer vertex displacement mapping, and other various OpenGL messed up profile errors.

- Fix OpenGL Cinema4D black viewports/Cinebench instablility.

- Old versions apart from x86 are no longer available and deleted off mediafire a/c to make room.

- No other functional changes since V6r2.

http://www.mediafire.com/?649gs7j4d8jwb2f - Defunct/updated see below.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  12. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Will test this one out shortly

13. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    i really need those bug fixes for my hd 4850 win 7 32 bits for performance and the bug make my life hard so plz driver 32 bits only when almost final version done to not waste your time body tnx:)

14. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    I'm getting green screen bug with this one...but not in 11.12 hybrid.

What's changed?

15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Green Screens in Hybrid 11.12 originals or 11.12r2 or both ?

I can't see this anomaly on 4870x2, but I would like to fix it...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

16. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Well, 11.12 rc2 works without the green screen bug, but it appears for the latest 12.6 reloaded version.

i am also having a problem with CAP profiles for games not being used.

In particular with Alan Wake. Using latest 11.12 hybrid the CAP profile works automatically but in 12.6 reloaded (And also vanilla 12.6 Legacy as well) i have to force a custom profile and select the AlanWake.exe file in order for it to work.
    I think it also happens with Ghost Recon Future Soldier in 11.12 hybrid but not in 12.6 reloaded (or vanilla 12.6 legacy)

any idea why some CAP profiles have to be forced for it to work?

EDIT: i think CAP profiles not auto loading happens in a couple of other games as well, but i will have to confirm which games.

And also, do you think that some of the latest CAP profiles weren't designed for Legacy cards? or is it a bug in my setup?

For instance, Borderlands 2 CAP profile for my setup is horrendous, i must force BioShock profile with it to get good GPU scaling.
    Spec Ops: The Line (another UE engine) needs to be forced with AFR.
    Black Ops II is another that needs forced AFR.

17. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Ok, thanks, i'll look into these issues, but it may take a while since I don't have either of those games.

Legacy support, as we know was cut, and in multigpu if you don't have latest updates for crossfire within the actual drivers themselves of which we're sadly lacking since 18th April 2012 and not just cap updates performance can suffer in newer games because caps alone are not sufficient to fix everything.

It could be a cap incompatability issue, but i'd more strongly tend to suspect the former...lack of updated drivers for almost a year, 12.6 doesn't count as it's the same files as the 8.97 April 18th betas. Alan wake came around about the same time legacy support ended IIRC.

Single gpu is a whole different animal, and doesn't miss the lack of driver updates nearly as much.

18. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro

thanks, that makes a lot sense and come to think of it, it's an issue i only noticed with POST 12.6 CAPS and never had an issue before then...
    Must be related to using newer CAPS on older drivers as you said.

Thanks again for the drivers man, appreciate the work you guys are doing to keep the 4 series going.

19. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    12.6 Reloaded V6 r4 Final release.

- Backed off system Crossfire .blb game profiles for user list profiles that were not being applied post 12.6 to end any confusion. Caps are still 12.11 CAP 2 however. ( Thanks sasquatch_04 again )

- Reverted OpenGL subsystem to 6.14.10.11662 instead of .762 from last release ( Cities in motion fixed by 12.6's .653 was crashing again on .762. although the .dll was otherwise usable, doesn't crash on .662 )

- Need feedback on Cinema4D/Photoshop CS5/6 OpenGL functioning with new workable OGL. Don't have these apps, Thanks. - Reported working.

- AFR OpenGL crossfire profiles added :

GP Bikes
    Cities In Motion
    The Polynomial
    Ozone3d SoftShadows Benchmark
    Ozone3d SurfaceDeformer Benchmark

+ found a better way for gpucapsviewer vertex displacement mapping to work correctly without completely nuking the profile
    and seems to cause no crashes in gpucapsviewer as a result of this change, wheras completely nuking the profile gave problems.

- Updated DX10 components to 0.441 from 0.436 of 12.6 legacy ( Which were the highest fully working DX10 components on legacy till now that is :) )
    - Tested with DX10 only game Just Cause 2.

- 2nd Attempt at fixing DXVA green video, athough in the 12.x series legacy it's possible some may be stuck with this...I can't fix what I can't see myself. - Reported working.

- Further cleanup, driver should now be very stable and robust, and the highest video/opengl/dx10/aticfx versions you can get on legacy cards before the legacy code was finally hoovered out by AMD.

- No .dll unloaded errors, weird app conflicts, no messing around with files, everything works and is fully tested from a normal install and is ready to go minus clock and movie transcoding bugs.

[​IMG]

http://www.mediafire.com/?ozov0g1f1n7da0l

Updated fully tested OpenGL crossfire profiles to be replaced in C:\Windows\ folder can be found here, includes all previous updates as I come across OpenGL apps/games to test/whitelist for crossfire support:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?qatdwl7ds503cv1

- Armegatron Advanced.
    - Scorched3d - Scorched tanks/earth game.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  20. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Is the latest version Windows 8 ready?