12.6 legacy driver reloaded.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Aug 20, 2012.

1. KuriaN

KuriaN Member

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 4650
    Hey guys!, I have a old Mobility Radeon HD4650 and V2 Works well on my card (only tested on LOL), i try to upload to V3 but my Mobility HD4650 is unsupported :p, someone can mod this for support my old card? ty :p

Sry if my english is so bad, i'm spanish, we haven't enought money for do english lessons xD

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    If V2 works well without gaming hangs for you on mobility 4650 stay with it, I only noticed the hangs in CrossfireX.
    You are not missing much with V3 except for slightly different kernal components to solve the hangs and a general clean up and update of a few files.

The reason why V2 worked on mobility and V1 or V3 doesn't was because it was founded on a non WHQL components base as an experiment in an attempt to try get a fully functional package for Windows 8 x64 working for legacy cards...

The Windows 8 side didn't work. I have removed V2 anyway, since it had other issues...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    V4...Vista/Win7 x64.

http://www.mediafire.com/?34833pdfp34to5m

- Updated to 12.3's aticfx32.dll/aticfx64.dll

Last version before crossfire performance went bad, unfortunately despite the good fps, and 12.2's release notes saying the BFBC2 black flicker is fixed since 12.2 it is not and broken in 12.3's.
    Hell knows why they keep breaking this crossfire profile, it worked in 10.5a,11.6,11.12 and broken inbetween, if this bothers you use V1 or V3.

*If you get the IE/Firefox crossfire rendering bug explained above that exists in all 12.1-12.4 aticfx make a user profile to work around it as shown above or use V1 or V3 drivers which don't have the bug. Since they use 11.12's aticfx.

At least this way you get a few more crossfire driver profiles than you would have had otherwise. I tested the 12.4 beta's aticfx (8.96) from march, unfortunately it's just as bad as the 12.4 WHQL/a/b and 12.6 ones.

- Updated to Vista/Win7 DX10 user mode drivers from Catalyst 12.8.
    (atiu9p64.dll/atiu9pag.dll/atiuxp64.dl/atiuxpag.dll fully tested and working)

- Updated to WDM HDMI/DP audio kernal driver from Catalyst 12.8.
    (Audio is no longer disabled if the connected HDTV is switched off/on)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  4. gabrielinio_32

gabrielinio_32 Member

GPU:
    ati 4890+4870

5. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Preliminary Vista/Win7 x86 version to keep the memory restricted 32-bit procrastinators happy...

http://www.mediafire.com/?6okuh4wh6ufds8d

Lemme know if it works...

Should work, can't test since on x64, but was careful to cross check changes implemented as the x64 version using the 32-bit counterparts.

Ignore the readme saying it's for x64. It isn't...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. Miroglu

Miroglu Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 512 MB
    Thanks

7. vbdss

vbdss Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD7770 Ghz Ed.
    Man i would be very happy if you could make this work on Win8.

I tried on Win7 and they are great.

8. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    This is just about the final version...V5. Windows Vista/7 x64. Would love to implement the same kinda thing for Windows 8 with a working ccc and fixed clocks etc, but I simply don't own, or plan to own the OS any time soon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4efm2wxt4xc93k2

Can't implement any more improvements without having access to something new in 3 months time maybe..here's hoping. I sent off plenty of bug reports to keep them busy for the next few months... :)

The AGP drivers for HD2xxx,HD3xxx,HD4xxx may be obtained from here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

*Which solves the problem of flickering textures and distortion in Diablo 3 maps for mobile users, 12.4a/b hotfixes resolved the issue for discrete users.

Use this form for reporting legacy 12.6 bugs, not the generic one.

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EFD

Everything is tested and working like it should including OpenCL 1.2.

- Went back to HDMI/DP audio driver of catalyst 12.6 legacy since can't confirm if 12.8 one is working just to play it safe. I'm using Realtek's V2.70 HD ATI HDMI audio driver instead...

- Updated aticfx to 12.6's version for the sake of completeness, despite WEI/BC2 crossfire shortcomings, at least IE9/Firefox in crossfire works without issue, and contains the maximum amount of game profiles for legacy cards.
    *If games or WEI scores perform worse then V1-V4 are the ones to use for better performance or alternatively drop aticfx32/aticfx64 from 12.3 into the game folders. Can't do anything about this slowdown, it's AMD's fault.

- Found a way to keep media transcoding working while allowing use of OpenCL 1.2 update from 12.6 legacy package. (Updated)

- Included legacy radeon wallpapers pack. (rar file)

- updated following files from 12.8 (tested and working)

amdave32.dll/amdave64.dll
    atiapfxx.blb - profile file
    atiogl.xml atipblag.dat - profile files
    atisamul32.dll/atisamul64.dll
    atiu9p64.dll/atiu9pag.dll/atiuxp64.dll/atiuxpag.dll - Vista/Win7 DX10 user mode drivers. Doubled filesize to Win7 counterparts but still works, maybe some WDDM 1.2 code added perhaps. (still exploring)

- Updated ATI CAL files.

- Got rid of R version extension, since it didn't allow the update checking feature to work correctly.

- Updated latest atipdlxx.dll/atipdl64.dll from 12.2 preview (Missing HWMonitor sensors/Fix for overclocking tools/ATI tray tools working again)

- Changed branding again.

Still retains working ATI tray tools, working media transcoding, correctly working MultiGPU card/crossfire clocks, working old OpenGL games, correctly working CCC/User profiles without any stuck CCC checkboxes across boots like HydraVisionDM.
    Or the missing overdrive tab bug, and a working AVIVO/Hydravision while still allowing the use of the very latest 12.6 driver and all profiles/files available that exist.

* AVT, SteadyVideo, AppEx superfluous contrivances for legacy cards removed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  9. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX580-O4G
    Nice :)

You can download Windows 8 for free now, right?
    It's Release Preview version and you can use it for free before releasing of final version...

10. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I wouldn't use Windows 8 even if you paid me, nevermind using it for free... I'm just not really gaining anything from having it, only losing things.

I don't like the direction they are going with it, and the metro UI is too ugly for my tastes... :puke2:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

11. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    forget the looks, i care about the memory management

then again i'm still on vista here

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Then you really ought to think about making the switch to Windows 7 if you care about things like memory management, Vista is a bloated pig and more wasteful with memory...

[​IMG]

In Windows Vista, the more application windows you have open, the more memory required. Every window accounts for two memory allocations – one in video memory and one in system memory – which hold identical content.

Windows 7 changes this by getting rid of the system memory copy entirely, which effectively cuts the memory consumed in half.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    yep, & win8 has made other improvements over 7

but i usually have < 5 windows open during a game

all the things i have to reinstall if i change OS... that's my problem :pc1:

14. gabrielinio_32

gabrielinio_32 Member

GPU:
    ati 4890+4870
    but this driver not instal in windows 8:(

15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I can't do anything about it sorry...

Legacy support in Windows 8 is up to AMD with their "planned obsolescence" policies, of which their competitors don't seem to be following the same script. Complain at them instead.

Someone else said on here, and I can't remember who...that there will be no more Windows 8 drivers for legacy apart from the built in ones.

I just try solve the ones that remain flaky on Windows 7. I don't actually write the code...

V5r2 Final Vista/Win7 x64

http://www.mediafire.com/?bd87fya9qy4hx9a

- Updated ATI CAL files from 12.8 versions 1.4.1741 ( Still working media transcoding and R700 support )

- Updated CIM and slightly updated OpenCL 1.2 (938.2) from 12.8 that work hand in hand with above files ( tested working )

- Updated various driver support files, .dll's and .exe's with newer versions taken from 12.8 too many to list. ( tested working )

- Updated ADL AMD display library driver files atiadlxx.dll/atiadlxy.dll (tested working with user profiles also)

- Updated video component support .dll's from 12.8 (may solve flash green corruption problems, tested and works)

That's all folks...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

16. ankinferno

ankinferno Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    oh ya.... got the complete 12.8 to work with my HD 4650m /550V

OGL,OCL,2D driver, 3D driver and even CCC.... every things working fine....

[​IMG]

_---___

[​IMG]

--____----

[​IMG]

17. Zeratullo

Zeratullo Member

GPU:
    Mobility hd4670 1gb gdr3
    Hi!
    Thank you for the hard work :)! It would be nice if you can add also the mobility support, for now i managed to install the driver editing the .inf and forcing it by device panel but i can't install the catalyst control panel...

18. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes, I guess that is the only thing left to add, mobility support. Leave it with me, I'll see what I can do when I get some time free...

As far as 12.8 <5k support goes, it's my understanding that they hoovered the code out the .dll's for legacy cards so hmmm, don't know what's quite happening there...and the clock bug's still exist even with 12.8.

Maybe it works in hybrid crossfire who knows...I see there is no directcompute checkbox however.

Experimenting, tinkering, and testing can only be a good thing. If someone else want's to add in windows 8 support be my guest. I don't wanna touch it personally because i'm staying with Windows 7.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  19. ankinferno

ankinferno Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    hmmm..

my mobility HD 4650.. although supports Dx 10.1 . . but didnt ever saw the direct compute work.. donno why... not even on the WHQL drivers when our 4000 series cards was officially supported by AMD...

well... i did some benchmarking with these custom 12.8 drivers...

result: the tops (FPS) is like +2 on all games... so not much of a diff...

The Avg (FPS) is same as that of 12.6

But The Low (FPS) has a great deal of increase.. like + 20fps on all games...

Conclusion: the overall smoothness is going very sood... currently Playing Max Payne 3 with this driver... almost on High Graphics... smooth Experience...

Still under testing..... Thanks kevsamiga1974 for the effort..

i will try to upload these 12.8 moded Windows 8 driver as soon as possible...:)

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes please share or we can't learn or improve anything... :)

Directcompute has always been enabled here for as long as I remember, even in the latest driver. Directcompute support was added beginning with Catalyst 9.12HF/10.1. I believe it should be working by default, how strange...
    Maybe GPU-Z is reading it wrong...

[​IMG]

Ok, I have restored mobility. These *should* work as the .inf is more or less identical as the 12.6 legacy .inf originals which also has the mobility entries added.
    Save for a few edits and cleanups like adding back in ATI tray tools support.

For Zeratullo V5r3. Vista/Win7 x64

The only difference *is* mobility support, not worth downloading if V5r2 already works fine for you.
    This is the last since I can't improve upon it anymore. Maybe someone else adds in Windows 8 support.
    Sorry I couldn't since I don't own or plan to own it to test them out properly in a way I would like to make sure everything works as I want.

http://www.mediafire.com/?59cive6k2f1bpw3

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012