12.11- Weird graphical glitches and much lower FPS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eyothrie, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Eyothrie

Eyothrie New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7870 GHz
    Does anyone know what my problem could be? I really don't want to be stuck on 12.6 for the foreseeable future, but the performance drops and glitches I'm seeing after updating to 12.10 and then to 12.11 beta are unacceptable to me. After experiencing these issues, I rolled back to 12.6.

Skyrim is all kinds of glitched out. Entire sections of the clear night sky (no clouds or rain) will randomly flash white and other colors as if lightning is striking? I'm also seeing massive framerate drops/skips in both Skyrim and Crysis 2 that weren't present before. I assume that these issues are happening in all of my games, but the above two games were the only two I tested after installing 12.10 and then 12.11.

Here is a video to show what is happening with 12.10 and 12.11:
    http://youtu.be/h_URf1wpwcc

I rolled back to 12.6, and the issue is corrected. Any ideas? Again, I don't want to be stuck on 12.6 if I can easily fix this, but I have no idea what this could be

2. Eyothrie

Eyothrie New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7870 GHz
    152 views and 0 comments. 3D gurus indeed! :)

3. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    most likely the lack of information:

voltages
    clocks
    oc sofftware
    temps

4. Eyothrie

Eyothrie New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7870 GHz
    I'm new to PC gaming as of July, and my setup is still a 'stock' setup. My CPU (i7 3820) is 'factory' overclocked up to 4.1GHz, but no overclocking on my GPU. I haven't changed any of the items you requested from the 12.6 to 12.11 upgrade.

Again, everything worked under 12.6. I assumed, with no changes to voltages, clocks, temps, etc etc, that 12.11 should work as well. Since you're asking me about these things - voltages, clocks, etc etc - are changes to these items required for a simple driver update? I didn't list them because nothing at all has changed besides the driver update.

Please ask me if add'l info is required! As I've mentioned, I'm new to PC gaming, and I might not know to list stuff. I don't want to be ignored because I'm not listing info that is easily attainable.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

5. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    I am getting the same problem in Skyrim with the 12.10 and 2.11 drivers.
    No other games I play have this issue so far.
    Very rare occasional flickering with 12.8 but it can not be replicated by staying in the same place unlike the latest WHQL and beta.
    The latest beta4 does not have the issue as bad but still the issue is there.

So you're not alone.

BTW my cards is a Ghz edition also, made by ASUS.
    Don't know if this has anything to do with it.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That looks exactly like the corruption I get in Fallout NV when my GPU is overclocked too far or doesn't have enough volts.

7. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Yes has that kind of look to it.
    Would get the same appearance when i am overclocking my HD4850s memory without bumping the voltage.

8. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    yep runs fine here on my 7970m so it is probably for real the voltage just up it 1-2 notches

9. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    your system's fault...skyrim is smooth as butter, silky smooth like water with 12.11b4...almost everyone has tremendous fps increase...

your vga is probably wrong oc'ed or damaged, maybe your skyrim installation is damaged, or bad installation/uninstall of previous/newer drivers...

10. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2

11. eddylipstick

eddylipstick Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Well after reading the flicker/glitch topic a few days ago where I quoted I didn't have the problem...

I installed skyrim again and catalyst 12.11b4 (used driver sweeper to clean all). And guess what, flicker and glitches all the way...:3eyes: Also with the 12.10 and clocks and voltages are just stock now (temps are below 50°C stressed). Does bumping up the voltage help? Need to try 12.8 again. I runned skyrim on my previous setup (4850 CF) which was okay.

12. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Sometimes it helps to de-install the old driver before installing the new one. Usually you do not have to do that but in case of something not working like it is supposed to it's always worth a try and often helps.

With the flickering you will probably have to live till AMD fixes whatever it is they need to fix. Either they do not really understand the GPU their computers have designed quite yet, or in the worst case scenario what their computers designed has flaws which are responsible for the flickering. You might not know it, yet these days chips are designed by computers instead of people since designs with billions of transistors are beyond what a human can manage without taking virtually forever.

13. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Currently using the 12.8 drivers from ASUS specific to my card which were released 10/11/2012.
    These drivers are called v9.00 by ASUS and have small adjustments to the aesthetics, whether or not the tweaking stops there i do not know as the 12.8s directly from AMD had very little in the way of artifacting.

So far I have seen either about the same or a little less in artifacting with this driver as I have not really tested them out.

I would have expected to have seen the driver to have been 12.10 but who knows, ASUS are generally late with updating the drivers on their site.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have no flicker in Skyrim. Thing is, this looks like bad OC but as lowering clocks did not help, it may be messed up driver installation as OP stated decrease in frame rate on driver which is awesome on 7xx0 series.
    I would do in such case full uninstall:
    - uninstall via regular "AMD Catalyst Install manager" (all software)
    - reboot safe mode, driver cleaning, reboot
    - checking if some CAPS are still present in uninstall manager = remove
    - reboot + clean install
    Now this is not usually required or good idea since installing one driver over another works really good in most scenarios, but once you mange to screw something this usually help.
    I had to do it w/ 12.9beta as I had every released driver WHQL/beta installed through time and run into issue with CCC crashing upon opening gaming profiles.

15. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    or just use atiman which does all those steps for you.