11th gen Intel Desktop processors get eight CPU cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2019.

1. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX980ti
    I work in the distribution business. We sell Lenovo and Fujitsu business machines. Lenovo have been increasing the share of AMD in their lineup gradually over the last year, Fujitsu are still in the planning stage and are hoping to have something to offer by the end of next year. The reality is that we are not seeing a big market share shift yet, because those big companies need at least 1-2 years to set up, test and certify a new product, before starting to sell it. So Intel have about one more year grace period to get their act together, if they don't they'll start hurting big time.

gx-x likes this.
  2. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1
    I do not dispute that AMD made a good product, priced it well and is competitive. I just don't see domination. I see success (unlike when AMD claimed bulldozer was a success) I see they got their market share up by 10%(ish) in past 2 years, but they are still at ~18% (and yes, growing). As for the 7nm and stuff, it's nice. But it took that to get them where they are now to compete with 14nm (and 50% more cores mind you). Again, I am not saying anything BAD about AMD, I am just allergic to over hyping things. You can get (for desktop of a regular person) intel or AMD for ~$200 and be fine, probably never know the difference if you aren't running benchmarks.

Many people want many things, but only a fraction buys them. Especially in our country. IMHO, I don't see people (in general) with i5/i7 Haswell CPU (or better) running to either AMD or Intel to get a new platform any time soon. Hell, I only switched to newer platform because I got tired of my bad sample IvyBridge K. If I had been like 90% of PC users, I probably wouldn't have done it, but I had some extra cash :) And I didn't even notice the difference in most of the things I do, except for games of course. Then again, I got a new GPU for that anyway.

So, your points are valid, but no domination of market, yet. I do expect AMD to grow to ~30% market share overall, since Intel has nothing new to show for next two years and I expect the productivity type of work to switch to AMD slowly. Then again, we shall see if AMD is now on track that Intel had, 7 years of more or less the same thing in Desktop segment.

Undying likes this.
  3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Not sure how that's possible when AMD is only selling 18% of desktop CPU's and 82% for Intel.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Because everywhere I look, the most I see is 5%~ increase in market-share for AMD.

However, if you can provide links that says otherwise I'd be more than happy to look.

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Do you work for AMD? just curious... because if you only knew how stupid saying that looks. Whats so hard about replying to the points that he made? Ohh... kinda hard to refute the truth.

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189 - Yeah, Intel is not even present in Top 10, not one single CPU.
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/computers/430177031

I think those links are probably sufficient for now.

Those "market share" statistics are slow to update, but they will.

If Intel doesn't launch something truly awesome, at the end of 2020 they'll drop below 50% CPU market-share, or worse. That will include laptops and server CPUs...

DmitryKo likes this.
  7. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Yeah, but half of those AMD cpus in the top 10 are budget cpus. That's not the case when you look at the following 10 intel cpus in that list. Considering the cpu market is in decline, I highly doubt we'll see AMD with 50% market-share and that's fiscal I'm talking about. For global market-share, it's just not going to happen.

8. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    If you saw his post history you would know why I asked this. But resorting to name calling shows your age and IQ level, so I do not see a point in continuing with anything you have to say. Glad there is an ignore user option on this forum.

EDIT: Also I believe enough people on here have done a fine job pointing out the flaws in what he said. No point in beating a dead horse.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    This has never been true. Intel has maintained "mainstream" products without iGPU.....

Only 1 of the AMD processors listed in the top 10 is a "budget" CPU. They are all "mainstream" and "high-end" CPUs with the except of the 2200G sitting in 10th.

airbud7 and K.S. like this.
  10. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    If Intel felt market dominance were relevant and a dynamic shift weren't at stake - we wouldn't be in a price war. Competition changed Intel's business model. If that's not dominance by another name; I don't know what the hell is. There are examples of it. HEDT/Threadripper is now price-set by AMD not Intel. AMD's mainstream R9 SKUs compete with Intel's HEDT's now. That's quite the feat. Nice attempt at 'apologetics' and changing your tune. I'm from New York; we're allergic to bullshit. (yes that includes our rotten President :mad:)

EDIT: Sarcasm/joking aside ^ I think revisionist fanboyism is tiresome; if you are well-intended I mean no offense but it does no one any benefit myself included to obfuscate reality.

P.S. - I don't recall myself or anyone saying "amd market dominance" that's all you.

Icanium likes this.

11. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX560 8GB
    K.S. likes this.
  12. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    @MegaFalloutFan

Thought you might find this cool since were talking about Intel Quick sync & Software Encode over AMD cores...

Yeah this confuses me since Intel is supposed to launch @ PCI-E 5 right ? (I'm honestly asking) - it's not like they don't have a lack of bandwidth :confused: plus don't they hold those long-standing contracts with Apple whom generally use them and pretty much run a myriad of peripherals off of Thunderbolt?

These things you just posted are they confirmed? or just rumor-mill?

Undying likes this.
  13. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX560 8GB
    Tiger Lake is supposed to introduce PCIe 4.0 - and Ice Lake U (i7-10xxGx) includes ThunderBolt3 controller on-die, though very few notebooks actually offer TB ports.

It was posted earlier as a rumor, which Intel promptly denied, but now this exact leak lists no 10 nm Tiger Lake S desktop parts. This could mean their next desktop/enthusiast parts will be 10nm Alder Lake/ 7nm Winter Lake, based on Ocean Cove/Sapphire Rapids architecture, but they won't arrive until 2022.

K.S. likes this.
  14. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Sheesh... what a jumble. Appreciate the info! I need to catch-up on my Intel sources...

15. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Maintained? When 10 years ago? Sure.

[​IMG]

K.S. likes this.

16. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Start from post 3 of this thread.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Going down the page at Newegg there's...

i5 9400F
    i3 9100F
    i5 9600KF
    i7 9700KF
    i3 9350KF
    i9 9900KF
    i7 9700F

There's a combined 7 Intel processors from budget, mainstream and high-end that lack an iGPU.....and that's just from the current generation. If you go to ARK, that list gets bigger.... There are also been numerous Xeon processors released that lack an iGPU.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Someone saying that a company is dominating does not equal market dominance.

You can be dominating, as in increasing your market share and therefor are "dominating", without having market dominance, yet. Though if they continue to dominate, that obviously will change.

And considering that AMD appears to be increasing their market share in most, if not all, CPU markets, that does state "dominating", but no, they are not as of yet have a "market dominance" over intel.

Also, people need to remember when they see market share it's not a quarter by quarter market share. The market share has a ton of older processors in it since they are still being used.

K.S. likes this.
  19. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    QuickSync's quality is really bad.

Yes, it works fast, but it's a blockfest... doesn't support intra-frame prediction, and many many other features that are in the software-based solution (which improve the quality of the video for given bitrate, and even with large bitrate it just doesn't look as good as software H265/x265 )

No serious video encoders use QuickSync, that's just an amateur tool for people who don't care any single bit about their video quality.

HandR likes this.
  20. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1
    QS can be used for preview before final renders. But it's a dumb argument, so I agree with you. Then again, I can't wait to see how many (of not that many) people will keep making YT videos after COPPA change. I guess not many? AMD atm has very niche audience (just like top end intel CPUs do, so don't get that in the wrong way), and it's laughable to call that "dominating" but whatever, I really don't care, it's just funny to me when I read something like that. I don't even like to respond to those comments.

K.S. likes this.