10bit 4K desktop - resolution scaling problem

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by fleggy, Jul 16, 2018.

1. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 ti X Trio
    Hello, if I set my desktop resolution to native 4K and 10bit color (1080Ti + PG27UQ) then almost all my games which use fullscreen mode with a lower resolution (FHD, QHD) are not scaled properly. They are in a centered box with black borders regardless the selected scaling mode (aspect ratio or full screen). I tried to set scaling mode on the card and on the monitor, too. As soon as I set the desktop to 8bit color depth the scaling works as expected. Is it a normal behavior when desktop and game color depths are different? Thanks.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  3. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 ti X Trio
    I think it is not this case. If I set 98Hz, 10bit color, SDR in desktop settings then all my old FHD and QHD resolution games are in a centered box regardless the GPU/monitor scaling setting. If I set 98Hz, 8bit color, SDR in desktop settings then FHD and QHD resolution games are scaled properly. I have no other 10bit color capable monitor/TV to check my suspicion that the color depth is the culprit. Or maybe it is "a feature" of PG27UQ.
    Shortly - 10bit color desktop + 8bit color game with lower resoluton -> image is not scaled to fullcreen

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Theres an option with the scaling settings : over-ride the scaling mode set by game and programs. Did you try that?

5. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 ti X Trio
    You mean the setting in the program context menu? Good idea, I'll try it tomorrow. Thank you.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No, its in the Nvidia CP. The tab with the scaling settings.

7. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 ti X Trio
    Well, I tried it. This option (and its equvivalent in monitor's OSD) has no effect in the descibed situation.
    I hope that someone else can try it using his own 10bit color monitor.

8. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 ti X Trio
    Sorry, I (or you) don't understand. My problem is a lower resolution is not scaled (resampled) to the fullsize 4K image.