1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080Ti -> is SLI still worth it ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Chess, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Hay

Simple question, really. I'm in the market for a new system minus the GPU.
    I have a g-sync screen and I'm looking into the Valve Index, so higher FPS is preferable.
    Thus, I'd like to go SLI with a 2nd hand card.

Problem is, I hear less and less games and even drivers are SLI optimised.
    Some even reported SLI barely working with the 20x0 series.

Do I have to worry?

2. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I’d say that whether it’s worth it or not is totally game dependent, I’m fortunate enough that most of the games I currently play still support SLi but I can certainly see that this will probably be my last SLi setup as more and more devs drop support.

Best advice I can give you is to do a bit of research on what games you’re playing and see if they support SLi, then decide if those games are worth the financial outlay of a second card or not.

Also, make sure the rest of your system is up to the task, takes a strong CPU to feed two cards if you’re going for high frame rates, a decent PSU is also critically important.

You’ll want good airflow between the cards as well, the top card will usually be quite a bit hotter than the bottom card.

3. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Thank you for the quick response.

I'm having a Steam backlog of 250+ games, so I'm sure I'll find games that use SLI rather well ^^.
    I'm more concerned for future games like Bloodlines 2 and Cyberpunk. I don't play competitive MP games so I don't really need it for the edge.
    More to sustain a 90+FPS on future widescreen and VR which is high resolution/high refreshrate. Mah Immurshun!
    So your point is taken... More recent games won't much use it, which is sad because we need higher and higher FPS scores now-a-days.

I'm planning on a Ryzen 3600 at a very minimum, more likely a 3700x or intel equivalent. Depends on what Intel has to offer for the next coming year and if they can lower their power consumption even more.
    My PSU is rather oldish, but high end ( AX850i ). Except for the 2 GPU card, I don't use much power hogging parts. That is why I'd prefer the 65W AMD offering. might refresh the PSU as well if I must. Probably another AX series corsair.

Airflow will be okay. Phantek Evolve or P600s with triple 140mm fans at front. The Cards are Asus Strix non OC.

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    sell what you have and put the double outlay on a better gpu, makes sense for future proof and power use. Less hassle too.

5. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium

YES......

...and topped up with good CPU and Memory...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    + availability of AAA games per year into consideration( in contrast of new GPUs available more frequently than game(s)) :confused:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    YES!!!!!

Even two of these bad boys, At 8k(4800p) with current games, you might get up to 30fps, smooth enough to play.

Ghost in the tale runs extremely well at 8k but the texture has to set to medium, runs extremely well and very very playable.

If I were you, hold on to it, until a Much worthy successor takes over.

What held be back on the 2080ti is the cost to performance difference between the 1080ti and the 2080ti, now we might be seeing 2080ti super, I would keep a keen eye out on this one.

Personally, I would wait until the ampere comes, then it will be a very worthy upgrade.

Your 1080ti's is still bad A$$, hold on to it, more then happy that you did but this is just personal preference, everyone is going to be different of course so whatever you want to do but for me, I would still hold on to it, Ampere is what next year, I would hold off.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019