1080p tv or monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rum_one, Sep 18, 2008.

1. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 676/1730/975 512mb
    Hi, I am looking to get a bigger screen for my computer. I watch a lot of films on the computer and tv, and do a bit of gaming. I also use my computer for audio sequencing, and could do with the extra screen space. I currently run 1280x1024 on 19".

There are 32"-37" 1080p hd lcd tvs for £500-600, which do 1920x1080. Does anyone know how this would look for general windows/surfing the web, or have such a set-up? would it be too big and not sharp enough? Alternatively, dell 30" monitor is nearly £1000, but does a nice 2560x1600.

I am leaning towards the lcd tv, because it seems a much better price and is bigger. The resolution seems enough, but I would like to know if it will look ok for general use as well as games and films? Thanks.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i recently purchased a 22" LCD monitor and iam very happy. i was using 20" and the difference between 20" and 22" is realy noticeable.

3. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    22" is very good value. 24" still too expensive for me. For the price of an LCD TV you could buy more than a couple high quality 22" LCD monitors with 2MS screens. An LCD monitor will have far better choice of resolutions and some 24" LCD monitors will allow you to run 1080p. You could probably get 2 high quality 24" monitors instead of a TV or buy a Dell 30" LCD monitor. An LCD TV will likely not be as good for general computer use like typing documents, but should be good for watching TV and DVDs. An LCD monitor will more than likely be better for gaming and general use as they have a higher build quality than most LCD TVs and better quality screen, dot pitch, response time and resolution choice.

However there could be some very good quality LCD TVs out there. I'd research all the specifications and compare them to an LCD monitor before buying.

4. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks, will do. I know the 30" computer monitors will be best, but just wondering if they're really worth the extra money. Will see if I can find info on response times for lcd tvs. If they're poor, probably 24 or 27" computer screen then..

5. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    The problem with 30" is that if you want to game at native res of 2560 x 1600 you need top of the line video cards. At least with 24" monitors and Lcd Tv's you are looking at the same sort of resolution....1920x1200 for the monitor and 1920x1080 for the tv.

6. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    I've got 2 x hdtv's connected to my pc, and i can recommend the amller 26" Samsung to be very good. I also have a Bush 32" as the secondary.

7. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    is the 32" too "big-looking"/blurry for general windows then? or is the response time a problem?

8. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    The response time is an issue with the 32". The screen is not fast enough for gaming really and there is some blur when the camera pans quickly in movies. I think the 30" is better quality than 32", but the 27", and 24" especially have even better response time and dot pitch generally.

There are some very good 24" LCD monitors from the top manufacturers lately. I have a review of some very good monitors in one of my magazines laying around my desk somewhere. I'll try and find it and post some info about the best LCD monitors here in this thread or PM you.

9. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks, that would be really useful.

10. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285
    I say go for a 24 monitor, I recently bought the BenQ G2400WD and its definetly one of the best gaming mon all around. extremely fast, 2ms and no input lag at all to speak of :D

Take o look at hardforum, everyone praise this monitor.
    It's cheap fast and with perfect colours so you cant get any better then that!

I use to have the Nec 20WGS2 and everyone knows thats the vey best 20WS you could get and its'a a S-IPS.
    This BenQ on the other hand is a TN-Film and I was afraid that it wouldent cut it for me but it's not a problem. in fact it plain and simple rocks and I love this monitor :D

If you are looking for a 32 LCD Tv I say look no further the Panasonic TX-32LZD85F, thats the very best Tv for Pc/console gaming. its expensive but its the best out there no question about it, 100hz that works and with a extremely sharp display. im thinking about get that as a second display for my Pc and PS3!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008

11. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks, will definitely give them a look then. :)

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I had this same dilemma about 6 months ago. I had $600(US) I wanted to spend and I either wanted a 1080p 24" LCD or a 42" 720p TV. In the end I went with a BenQ FP241W (24" 1920x1200) and I would never think of swapping it for the larger TV. Not only can you use this amazing looking display while gaming and working on your PC, but with HDMI and component inputs I can watch 1080i Cable TV and play Blu-Ray at full 1080p. The S-PVA panel used in the FP241W is very sharp and vibrant, also there is no input lag or ghosting even with a 6ms response. Try to stay away from TN panels and look for S-PVA based panels for better color/image quality and you get much better contrast ratio performance from dark to bright. Plus with a 24" you have the largest LCD allowed at LAN Parties/Tournaments :D

Sadly they no longer make my display and the price has sky rocketed on ebay to over $900(US), but there are other 24" 1080p monitors out now that give you the same benefits. I really do recommend the new BenQ 24" I think the part number is FP241WZ.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  13. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I would also recommend going with a proper monitor rather than a small HD television. Detail is always going to be better with a monitor that displays a higher resolution in a smaller physical size. Another advantage to the 24-28" monitors running 1920x1200 is that, by design, they can display two A2 (8.5"x11") papers side by side at 100% size. It doesn't sound that amazing until you start using it for document work where it can be great to see two sheets at once with no scrolling. And, of course, you can do all of the same things that the 1080p monitors can do with extra room to spare. When it comes to monitors you can always use extra real estate.

14. NoPrisoners

NoPrisoners Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 670 GTX FTW 2GB
    I would say a 24" S-PVA/S-MVA panel monitor is the best choice (in my opinion). I have the Dell 2408WFP, the best monitor I have ever had. I find the desktop space great for working and gaming on. LCDtv is going to have larger pixels especially at 32"+ so unless you sit further away is going to give a worse viewing experience than a 24" monitor.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I say for for an LCD monitor.

They are far cheaper and are so mich clearer and much stronger colours.

I myself use a 40" samsung 1080p, much better than my previous 24" samsung pc monitor!

The response rate is only 8ms, so no ghosting! And, the top of the range LCD TV goes upto 120hz!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check them out!!

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    This is what you get with a LCD TV, this is my one and I've been VERY happy with it!!

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
  18. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    im getting a 46 inch samsung to use as a monitor lmao

why not buy a hanns g 28 Inch lcd monitor its 260£ imo that is dirt cheap

19. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    thanks, a lot of useful information there. computer monitor it is... now to work out what i can justify to my wallet and missus...

20. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    One of my friends has an LCD TV, 37" I think. It's a good brand, maybe Samsung or similar, 1080p with HDMI, a load of other ports and has a PC mode. The pixels are huge compared to an LCD monitor though, although I've never seen it running at 1080p due to it still being connected to analogue. I'd imagine you would want to sit about ten feet away from it while using a PC. It's quite a lot of screen and 42" sounds even better, but they have been talking about 120Hz LCD TV screens for years now and I still don't think they cut the mustard. Plus the price of these monsters doesn't justify the quality of the screens yet (sorry manufacturers). I'm sure there are some great screens out there, it's just I like to sit 12" from mine. ;)