1080 xtreme to 1080ti xtreme

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mahanddeem, Sep 23, 2017.

1. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Hey guys,
    I game on Asus PG279Q, 165Hz 1440p.
    Does it worth upgrading?
    I play everything. Rest of system in signature. Money is not as issue.
    Thanks

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Money is not an issue? Titan Xp with liquid cooling!

3. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Titan xp vs 1080ti?
    I hate messing with a 1.2k dollars gpu tbh.
    Again I'd bite the bullet if it's significantly better.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Depends on how extreme you want to go, I suppose. The cost difference is certainly not justified, but if I were in a situation where money didn't matter I would literally go with the best. TXp does have more CUDA cores, TMU's, ROP's and a wider memory bus. At the same overclocks, the TXp will perform better. If you are aiming for 165Hz, the extra horsepower might just make the difference. Or you could just SLI 1080 Ti's for nearly the same cost, but we are seeing how little SLI is used these days. I envy your choice!

mahanddeem likes this.

5. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    You have a 1080 killer card. You want 10 more fps which you won't even see. Why don't you save that money and buy a 20xx new genereation nVidia cards and what not. gl

6. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I think that is a reasonable thinking. Depending on when the 20xx cards come out. One thing I always wished I had a ti card lol. Always got the x080 models, 680, 980, and 1080.

7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Just look at the benchmarks here on guru3d- you would be looking at a 10-30+ fps increase going from a 1080 to a 1080ti...totally worth it if you have the money. Why wouldnt you?

signex likes this.
  8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Exactly, then just buy a 2000 series card when they come out after selling your current GPU. Spend the big bucks while you can!

9. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I've not seen any ghosting on mine?

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yes, I agree with you on the time travel part! My previous post was agreeing with DerSchniffles who was saying he should buy the 1080Ti, then I added that when the 2000 series is released he can sell the 1080Ti to purchase a newer GPU. :)

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Just do it and enjoy your 25-30% boost in FPS :)

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep 1080ti is where its at.
    If you can wait for its release, there is a halfway house between the 1080ti and Titan Xp.
    Cost may factor as well.
    http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/evga_layncges_eforce_gtx_1080_ti_ftw3_elite_edition.html
    This card is a 1080ti with Titan Xp memory speed.

You may be able to clock a standard ti to the same speed memory but you should get a bit more from this.
    Thats just fyi in case you dont want to overclock manually.
    My opinion is get a ti with very good cooling. ie is still quiet with the fan boosted somewhat.

I went the ti FE route and fitted an Accelero Xtreme cooler for silence all the time and very high grade cooling.
    Downsides are its a pita to fit.
    FE cards have a power limited bios that may restrict overclocking a little. You can blow other cards bios to the card but because it has only 1 HDMI out (no DVI) you will likely lose the use of one Displayport because most modded cards bios replace it with DVI or HDMI.
    There is a 358W bios that fully works on the FE but it didnt make a difference to my overclock. I still use it anyway :)
    fyi

tldr;
    If you dont mind fiddling lots the FE with Accelero cooler is great, silent and saves a fair bit of cash.
    If you want a working solution already clocked a bit look at aftermarket cards with very good coolers.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  13. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I read somewhere about input lag at 165 as well , on tft central I think , but again i tried at 144 and 165 and noticed no difference , maybe im getting old :D