1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080 TI fan curve pointers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Turnip, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Turnip

Turnip New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 TI
    I installed the software MSI Afterburner a few weeks ago and made a right mess with the fan curve. When I went to cancel the changes and revert back to the default factory setup the MSI Afterburner default profile wasn't the same one as the manufacturer one so I adjusted the sliders and left it. Now I want to change it as it's doing my nut in. Loud and downclocks during gaming. The temperatures are fine but you will understand why when you see how messed up the fan curve looks.Rookies making errors :).

I have a 1080 TI Gigabyte Aorus but the MSI Afterburner software package is well recommended so I opted for MSI..

[​IMG]

Help would be much appreciated. Stuff like this I don't understand so well... Fairly new to it all, been a PC user for years but up until recently never bothered with the hardware side of things. The rest of the system is fine so I just need to sort this gpu fan curve out.

2. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    I guess you tried unticking the 'Enabled user defined software automatic fan control' that is ticked in your screenshot ?

If you use gigabyte o/c software try to uninstall it cause it can cause conflicts with MSI AB.

3. Turnip

Turnip New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 TI
    I did yes, when I disable the custom fan setting it seems to be hard locked at 25% gpu fan speed (725rpm) which is why I have the custom fan curve still enabled, I could do with it being adjusted though.

The Gigabyte software is not installed on the pc.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Every one is a rookie at some point.I will try to help you out a little.I suggest an lower voltage and a overclock with a reasonable fan curve for best gaming experience.

Skip to #4 if you just want a simple fan curve.

First off if you gave up on Gigabyte software and are going to use MSI Afterburner,here is what you can try.

1.Set MSI Afterburner so you can use voltage control and monitoring.

a.Open MSI Afterburner
    b.Press settings button for advance properties.
    c.Under general tab put check marks as shown and restart MSI Afterburner
    [​IMG]

2.Set MSI Afterburner to use a lower voltage to run your card and resonable fan level and performance.

a.Set MSI Afterburner to default.
    b.Press control + F to get voltage curve.
    c.Pick only single point on voltage curve.(You can lower/raise voltage point/s later on.For now voltage is for testing/stability )
    d.Move the single voltage point ,lets say 1.02mV up to 2013 MHz.
    e.After moving single voltage point,you hit the red X to close voltage curve.Then click on check mark in MSI Afterburner to apply voltage curve.
    (This will result in a flat line voltage curve starting at 1.02 mV and 2013Mhz.)
    f.Save the profile in MSI Afterburner.Click on #1 button

Setting the voltage curve this way will result in your MHz to drop by increments of 13MHz until temperature of the card is under control .(Good starting point for temperature lets say under 70C with reasonable fan curve)
    [​IMG]

3.Now set MSI Afterburner to run your card at the best possible frequency by setting power limit to maximum.More slider to the right.
    Since you did voltage curve your core clock is overclocked so leave as is for now.
    Set your memory overclock start off at a resonable number.Lets say +250 MHZ.Click on the box at memory clock and type in 250 and hit enter.
    (You can always change oveclocks at any time for testing/stability)
    [​IMG]

4.Set a fan curve next to run at 70% fan speed at 60C GPU temperature .
    Result should be a drop of two bins (so 26MHz in total )So the GPU core clock will settle at 2013 MHz - 26 MHz= 1987 MHz when card get to a normal running temperature

(You can always change fan profile for your noise/tempeture requirments at any time. Good starting point for temperature lets say under 70C)

a.Press settings button for advance properties.
    b.Under fan put check mark Enable user defined software automatic fan control.
    c.Move fan point to 70% fan speed and 60C tempeture and hit ok to set fan speed.
    d.You can always make a fancy fan curve but not necessary on GTX 1080ti.They are made to run at 60C with 0% fan speed in BIOS.
    Just click on the red line of the fan curve to add points to adjust fan curve to whatever you want.If you double click on the line you will get a stepped line.
    This is a simple fan curve that will work fine.Notice in Fan curve just in case at tempeture of 85c fan is set to go higher than 70% fan speed.This should never happen on GTX 1080Ti but anything is possible.
    [​IMG]