101 degrees 6950 Crossfire setup

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by syntax1993, Dec 22, 2011.

1. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    Right. I'd rather get a new case with a bit money loss than drilling and cutting in the case and hoping it's allright afterwards. I'll see what they have to say about it. I guess a new motherboard as stated above isn't needed? Since the case is the problem, and not my motherboard.
    It's such a waste because I've spent 170 euros on it with the thought it was good for airflow and is silent (which is why I've bought a Coolermaster silent pro psu). While gaming, I don't care how much noise it makes but when playing a movie or just browsing the net is awesome when it doesn't make a lot of noise.

So when I'll be able to buy a brand new case, I'm looking for one which is big enough for the two cards to fit in with 1 free pci slot in between for some cool air and which is silent as well. Does anyone have an idea which one to buy then?

Thanks!
    Syntax1993

2. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    go for an HAF-X, very good bang/bucks value and you should be able to keep it for years, it's even watercool ready in case you wanna make the step one day.

3. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    Awesome, how silent is it?
    They have the HAF-X there. It's even cheaper than my RV-01.
    Someone irl told me I should get that one. Perhaps I could even sell mine to him when the shop doesn't want me to return it.

4. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    Okay, update.
    Battlefield Bad Company 2
    [​IMG]

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Before you go out and buy a new case take the side off your current case and point a house fan at the card. See if this makes a noticeable difference and you will know if a new case will do the trick.

6. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    I've just skimmed this whole thread and as far as I can tell no one has said the obvious, probably because you already know it!

Anyway - 101 degrees is over 10 degrees more than the max safe operating temps of your cards! you will fry them if you keep running them at those temps for long periods!

Clean them with compressed air - do as rflair suggests and use MSI afterburner to create a custom fan profile. also, at 100% fan speed your gpu fan speeds should sound super loud and back themselves off after a while, do they?

7. ianott

ianott Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 6950 Crossfire
    install a nice high flow 120mm fan over the cards, and run with the side of your case off. but for long term i would get a roomier case.

8. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    I've mailed the shop and he told me (quote translated):

'Between 70/85 degrees is normal for this card when stressed. With 100 degrees you're a bit above normal. I'm not sure which temperature the cards can handle.

What you can do:
    - Switch the cards and check whether it makes a difference (Already did that)
    - Take pictures of the pc with the case open so we can take a look for other solutions.

At the bottom of the case are 2 spaces to mount a fan, since hot air escapes from the top it's important we have a good airflow. If we place 2 fans at the bottom of the case which would blow air upwards, the temperature should lower a bit.

The card isn't at his max. As it would give artifacts and performace issues.

So there's no real 'problem'. We can, however, search for a solution to get the card a bit cooler.'

This is what he said. I'm a bit worried about the part where he states that the card isn't at his max and it's not a real problem.

9. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    "no "real" problem." lol. Just because they run withought artifacts or other performance issues, does not mean those temps are ok. with those temps, after a while artifacts and performance issues will show up, if they don't fail completely.