101.41 X64 Vista + 7950 gx2 = bad things

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by pjg71, Mar 3, 2007.

1. david roch

david roch New Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950gx2
    Hi,
    This topic is for the 7950GX2 GPU problem only which is a single "double" card with an embedded SLI.
    this new driver was supposed to fix the problem but it doesn't at all.
    I've reported to Nvidia but got no answer so far.
    thx

2. Jumba

Jumba Member

GPU:
    7950GX2 @ 580/1540
    Similar problem here. 7950GX2 + Vista 64-bit = only one gpu working in multi-gpu mode.

In the 3D settings page in the Control Panel, where you can choose the rendering mode, I only have options for "Force Split Frame Rendering, Force Alternate Frame Rendering 1&2, and Single GPU"

Also, anyone else try installing ntune and find the page blank in nVidia Control Panel?

3. david roch

david roch New Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950gx2
    yep, same here.
    I have reported all the problems to Nvidia, filling in a long survey, explaining step by step the issue and they even didn't take the time to send an email to a very naive "beta tester" ...:confused:

4. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    I'm curious, why did some of you choose to install the 64-bit version of Vista?

5. Jaegermeister

Jaegermeister Member

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 260 OC
    I have the vista 64 bit installed with the 101.41 driver installed and have had virtually no problems with my 7950GX2. I have a p5n32 sli se deluxe mobo by asus and the card is by asus too. In my device manager i see 2 cards. In control panel I see multi GPU mode and that is what I have checked off. First thing I did was change the other option from dual monitor i think. When I get home from work I'll have to let ya know on that. Other thing is most games run better for me under the force alternate frame rendering 1 mode and not split screen. I'm using vista ultimate clean full install (not upgrade)

ntune installs and runs fine for me too.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  6. WThing78

WThing78 New Member

GPU:
    Quad nVidia GTX 680 2048
    Vista x64 with Qual-SLI

Hi,

101.41 drivers install fine for me with only one of my 7950 GX2 installed, but I cannot complete an installation of the drivers / software with x2 7950 GX2 installed (QUAD SLI). Installation gets so far, monitor flickers about 3 times, on about the 4th times, monitor flickers - no signal - signal returns but only to a black screen. HDD light flickers implying it working but the only remedy is to reboot.

Patience is a vertue !!!

7. Auvers

Auvers Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    No real problems in windows for me but with games it a different story as the only one that plays well is Doom3.
    Battlefield 2 runs like sh1t its framerate is very choppy and Dark Messiah wont even boot!! just goes to a black screen and now Call of Duty 2 wont boot either.

But at least both cores are working so at least there is some progress.

8. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    True, but how much sanity or hair you have left waiting is the true test here.:boozer:

9. david roch

david roch New Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950gx2
    I've installed Vista ultimate 32 bit and the driver works fine now!!
    (see my previous posts)
    but I can't use 4 gig of RAM anymore...

10. pjg71

pjg71 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2
    dabrooks: I'm using x64 Home Premium - thats the only version I have, so I'm stuck with it !

Why did I choose ?

Running a dual 64 processor.. games are slowly starting to use 64 bit instructions.. so it seemed a natural choice for me - new op system that I want to future proof for a while.

It's only the graphics drivers that let vista down. :(

11. david roch

david roch New Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950gx2
    back to Vista 64....
    at least I can use the 4 gig of RAM
    this:argue: driver was working with the 32 bit version (2 cards recognized) but i was getting BSOD after half an hour.
    so, let's wait for a new Beta from Nvidia...
    what a joke!!

12. egorn5

egorn5 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 7950GX2 "Superclocked"550/1400
    using these drivers

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

its weird , I haven't even seen the "enable" multi GPU modeon these drivers??

anyione suggest anythuing? whats the latest driver

13. egorn5

egorn5 Banned

GPU:
    because a lot of us,if not all have 64 bit CPU's??? lol

14. david roch

david roch New Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950gx2
    this is only available with the last 101.41 driver in the 3D page but it seems to work only with vista32.

15. Jaegermeister

Jaegermeister Member

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 260 OC
    Um, 101.41 driver set to multi gpu works for me fine in vista ultimate 64 bit full install. Btw is the p5wd board a nforce based board or intel based board? Is it sli certified etc? Just trying to help you out as things may be different now or there maybe a driver issue with intel based chipsets and nforce based chipsets. I've got an nforce4 based chipset and like I said it works fine in vista 64 and I've been playing games including Red Orchestra Ostfront, Battlefield 2, Point of Existance 2, DoD Source, and CS:S. Those are all I have installed and played right now. Just installed UT2k4 last night and even Half Life 2 installed and runs at 64 bit.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007

16. david roch

david roch New Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950gx2
    hi Jaegermeister
    thx for your feedback
    the P5WDH is Intel 975X board based and have no problem working with XP 64bit despite it is not SLI compatible but ATI CrossFire.
    I don't believe the mobo is the problem because the 7950gx2 runs great with XP32/64 bit and the "two" GPUs are just working fine.
    I've got the latest BIOS from Asus.
    It seems also that few folks with different mobos have the same problem with this driver.
    My concern is that I've writed twice to Nvidia and never got any kind of answer from them. I assume they are ALL working hard to make their drivers "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" !! :bash:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  17. Jaegermeister

Jaegermeister Member

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 260 OC
    I have to think about where I heard this and maybe someone can chime in on it, maybe it recognizes that you don't have an "sli certified" mobo and won't install correctly for you on 64 bit. On the other hand maybe nvidia has not made there driver compatible with an intel based chipset for 64bit yet which could be why the driver is beta and they are probably assuming that most people are running 32 bit and so they went ahead and made sure sli worked with 32 bit systems and an intel based system. Just my 2 cents so far cuz really who uses 64 bit? I think they wanted a driver out there quick and this is what we got, one that works mostly with 32 bit and not 64 bit. Hopefully things will change for ya but thats my educated guess, as i really do not have any problems with it and i have an nforce based chipset, 7950 gx2, and 64bit vista running pretty good in multi gpu mode. And really the only difference between our systems other than companies and memory is that the mobo's are different chipsets.

18. MrFaz

MrFaz New Member

Same story here im afraid.
    I have vista ultimate running [AMD dualcore 4800+] [2X 7950GX2 (Quad SLI)] [Asus A832SLI-delux] [4GiG Ram] and there is no option for Multi GPU so im running only 1 of the cards by the looks of things. It also shows in device manager that 2 of the 4 cards dont have the drivers loaded for them.

No tonly this but i play a HL1 Mod called natural selection and some of the menus are now in black and cant be read, but i think thats something to do with the OPEN GL support in vista ???

Also my memory is only showing 2.3 gig out of the 4 gig due to the GFX cards taking up some of the memory allocation or something ??? [Any Info On this would help please ] as i though vista 64 would allow me the FULL 4GIG

im keeping my eyes pealed for working drivers i just hope it dont take too long.

19. egorn5

egorn5 Banned

GPU:
    well I may try the beta 1041 drivers then and see how it looks.

20. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    so how does the GX2 run now in vista 32bit? I am going to buy Vista Ultimate for my gameing pc (want to put in on 64bit so I am waiting some more). But have a copy of 32bit business now that I wana load on it to play with, didn't know if the driver was decent enough yet though... :p