1000watt PSU/100amp on 12v rails - Good deal?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Major Melchett, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Hi G3d peeps, just a queary.

I was in the town last night and came across an offer in currys clearance, it was for a modular 1000watt PSU, it has 100amps on the 12v rails (there is 4, 2x20amp & 2x30amp) and it comes with 3x 6 pin PCi-e connectors and 3x6+2 pin PCi-e connectors (and of course all the usual sata connectors etc) and on the box it states it's SLI & Crossfire certified.

It's on clearance for £79 due to a slightly marked box (it has never been opened), so i'm wondering is £79 a good deal for this?, it sounds like it is due to the fact my current PSU cost £55 about 2 months ago and is only 600watt with 40 amps on the 12v rail and on scan the nearest to it is a 950 watt with only 78amps is £118, they've agreed to hold it for me till the end of today, just wanna make sure it's a decent deal is all and to see if it's a decent PSU (i can't seem to find any reviews and i've never heard of this make before)

It's this one.
    http://www.highpowersupply.com/hp1000g14c.html

Thankies.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah it's a good buy...there's some reviews of this model out there but under different brand names but I don't have the time to track a good review down sorry. That model wasn't out for very long before they upgraded the efficiency numbers on it to silver and now gold IIRC and this is essentially the same innards beings sold now as OCZ Z-series (modular) and PCP&C Silencer MK-II (non-modular)....gold level version reviewed here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=226

3. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Yeah i found that while i was in the town (god bless the apple library, i mean store :D), after a bit of searching about it seems 1000watt psu's are generally over £100 so i went for it.

Nice and tidy, i only needed to add 1 extra cable (the sata's) and luckily it had the 6pin and 8 pin PCi-e connectors already on, very pleased with it, least i'm no future proofed so i can now jump up to sli etc without having to worry about power.