1000w+ Psu??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bLinkZor, Mar 29, 2008.

1. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Hey guys, I'm looking forward on buying a new PSU, because I just got a good check form my income tax :D but I don't want to spend big on it, maybe around $250 and I was thinking of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159067

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341007

I'm planning on to sell this rig and buy a whole new set up, maybe tri SLI or something, but yeah for now I'm just going to get the PSU first and use it on this set up I have right now.

2. Rock99

Rock99 Member Guru

GPU:
    260GTX Core216 SLI
    I'd use the OCz as I've used it before in a friends coputer and no compliants, plus it looks nicer.

Everyone says if you are going to have an SLI system, make it look good :)

3. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Blah, I don't show off the PSU it's just the video cards that would be showing.

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Well the Coolmax is a better design than the OCZ, but they are both pretty mediocre group-regulated designs. I really can't recommend a $250 group-regulated PSU when you can get an independently-regulated unit for the same price. Assuming that you are willing to go for the mail-in-rebate thing then some units to consider at Newegg are the Silverstone OP1000, Antec TPQ-1000, Cooler Master 1000W and Thermaltake 1000W.

The Antec is quite a bargain after MIR right now. Compare the crossload characteristics between it and the OCZ1010 (identical to FSP Epsilon 1010)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Indy FTW ;)

5. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    So which one would you get?? the antec one looks nice but I can find the silverstone version.

6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I assume you meant you can't (not can) find the Silverstone...it's here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256010

Which one out of those four would I get? hmm well my criteria may not be the same as your criteria. Voltage stability is paramount to me and they all have very good load regulation. Efficiency is important to me too...not because of the cost of energy which isn't an issue to me...but because less efficient units will run hotter. Both case cooling and PSU longevity are important to me and longevity of capacitors is closely tied to heat. But anyway they all have good efficiency numbers too although the CoolerMaster has a slight edge there. Also regarding heat the Silverstone gets a demerit due to the internal layout that sandwiches the secondary capacitors between two PCB's and the airflow is blocked and the caps used in that section are low grade CapXon brand.

Noise is also an issue for me and the Silverstone is just loud and the Antec isn't particularly quiet either...the CoolerMaster is about the quietest 1kw unit on the market and has a slight edge over the Toughpower in noise. I also like full-tower cases and the CM has the longest cables of the 4 (25" to the first connector). lol Are you getting the picture yet that I like the CM? One more thing that the CM has going for it is it has six 12V rails and the others have four except the Silverstone is single rail. That combined with the over-current limits on 12V3 and 12V4 being set very high (28 amps) makes this the most future-proof of the multi-rail units. The individual rail stats at Newegg are wrong by the way...well the label itself was wrong on the early units is why...the label has been changed now but Newegg hasn't updated their info. I also like that the CM can be bought for $219 without the need for a rebate here:

http://www.svc.com/rs-a00-emba.html

7. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    So you would go for the CM PSU??

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well if I was in the market for a 1kw PSU and had a strict budget limit of $250 then yeah I would get the CM 1000...except I already have a brand new CM 850 that I paid $80 after MIR for a few months ago lol. To be honest, I also prefer modular cables...especially in these high wattage units that have so many cables and connections. But there's no 1kw modular units in that price range that I like so I personally would probably look under the couch cushions for loose change to sweeten the pot and buy the Xigmatek 1000 for $270...it's the same as the Toughpower with some minor improvements and $50 cheaper than the Toughpower modular version...hmm then again there's a modular version of the CM too lol Ever heard the saying "where there's no choice there's no confusion"?

Yes, I like the CM there best...Toughpower close second...could probably live with the Antec and I don't even know why I ever mentioned the Silverstone ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  9. Wicken

Wicken Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti
    Rails are not the same as cores.. more is NOT better. It is pretty much a marketing ploy put into effect with the 'more is better' mentality. Keep that in mind when you are looking at the power supply. Buy a single rail unit and you are MUCH better off. There are reasons that top quality companies such as pc power and cooling use only single rail designs.

10. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh good grief...it's another advertisement for PCP&C...If you disagree with any of the following then feel free to enlighten us at the source:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

11. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    What about the antec?? sorry haha I just want to have all my wiring nice and a modular PSU would be nice and easy and organize. Sorry I should of mention that.

12. soprano_boy

soprano_boy Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI BFG GTX260 Core 216
    i just got my new one i love it but it is SO loud

13. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Whats your new PSU??

14. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
  15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Oh man, I was trying to remember if the Antec was modular or not so I looked at the specs on Newegg and it says NOT but that's not right...I should know better by now then to trust Newegg's PSU data, errors in it are not uncommon. So anyway lessee...well the Coolmax is out of the picture for me because of the group-regulation design (I'm hoping here that you realize when I used the CM abbreviation I meant Cooler Master, not Coolmax). So it comes down to TPQ1000 vs. ST1200 for me.

The Strider 1200 is a new model that I wasn't even aware of till now (need to add that one to the list). I've not seen it reviewed yet but it's obviously another variation of the Enhance built dual-transformer platform like the Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250 (the big brother to the CM 1000 that I like). It's not totally fair to compare a 1kw unit with a 1.2kw unit but pretty much everything I said about the CM up above here, except for the cable length, should hold true for the Strider 1200 too...plus significantly more power of course. I choose the ST1200.

16. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    What's wrong with the Coolmax power supply?? it looks like its a good power supply for buy. Since it's energy efficient and 1200W too for only 250. On the other hand the Silverstone power supply is 100% modular but the coolmax is modular except for the 24 connection and the 8 pin connectors for the video cards just in case for 2 9800 GX2 for example. I looked here at the source:
    http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDe...details=features&subcategory=sli&category=sli and google information about it and people said its a very good power supply.

17. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Well any power supply that works is a good power supply...it's not a bad power supply by any means and it does have good efficiency. But like I said voltage stability and independent regulation is paramount to me and that's not happenin'. Lemme show you something...first off the Coolmax "1200" is a Sirtec made 1000W unit...all of the stats on it are identical to the 1000W model. I can't find a static load test review of this unit but here's an idea of the voltage stability on this unit.

http://i2.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sirtec/RockSolid_1000W/images/psugraph.gif

What you're seeing here is voltage measurements on a dynamic load installed in a system running software to load the PSU. The load ranges from 150W to 400W. So what I'm seeing is a 12V rail ranging between 12.10 and 11.79 ish(.31V drop). 5V rail is pretty solid at 4.98 to 5.02 ish (.04V drop). 3.3V rail is erm yikes 3.17 to 3.3 ish (.13V drop) 3.3V rail is also showing some constant fluctuations and it's already dropped 4% of the 5% tolerance range. Considering that the components that use 3.3V power are the ones that have a low tolerance for "bad" power I personally don't like to see this. My own personal standard for the definition of stable on the 12V rails is a drop of maximum .17V across the entire PSU capacity and it's dropping twice that much between 150W and 400W.

The CM 1250 is built on the same platform as the ST1200...take a look at the voltage drops from 319 all the way to 1250 on it.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/images/articles/1193965922SUlukGnliM_4_1.gif

EDIT: whoops...5V rail is 5.02 to 5.1 (.08V delta)...still not so bad...I was looking at a different chart lol

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  18. soprano_boy

soprano_boy Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI BFG GTX260 Core 216
    mine is a 500watt coolermaster eXtream
    i am fixing the sound problem buy putting a nice quite blue antec fan in it