100% GPU and 100% 1 core on boot...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by AlmondMan, May 31, 2013.

1. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Every time I boot up, I have an svchost process that starts to eat 100% of one core and loads the GPU 100%.
    Ending the process will cause nvidia display driver to crash and restart, and then act normally.

The problem has pervaded across a number of drivers now, and I've used "clean install" the last couple times, but for whatever reason it seems not a lot of people are having this issue.

Have I just missed a thread on the topic? Does it happen to everyone? Anyone know about it or a fix?

I run a Asus GTX 680, DirectCU2 Top, with a P8Z77-V LE, a 3570k and some gskill 1866mhz ram... on win7 64 bit. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    try disabling ULPS

3. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
  4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Disabling ULPS did not help.

Don't see any suspicious processes running either.

5. chr!s

chr!s Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hi,
    Try this; completely uninstall nvidia drivers. Boot up and check to see if you are experiencing the same issue.
    (Just trying to determine if the issue is directly related to ndvidia drivers...)

6. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    That honestly does sound like a Bitcoin miner. My friend had exactly the symptoms you're describing and that did turn out to be a Bitcoin miner.

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Tried this, was no issue while driver was not loaded. Issue returned immediately upon reset with driver from windows update, 314.07, but driver did not crash when I killed the guilty svchost.exe.
    Also, using various process explorers, like processexplorer and svchostviewer, I cannot find that the guilty svchost process is host to anything... I guess it might be high time for a system reset.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    malware

9. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
    Do you have Java installed?

10. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Do you run Logitech setpoint or anything else that uses 3d hardware accel?

Maybe something like a mirror driver for VNC / Teamviewer could be confusing things?

11. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980 Ti WF
    disable superfetch ?

12. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Update sound card drivers?

13. chr!s

chr!s Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I guessing you're using process exlporer from sysinternals? If so - you can hover your mouse over the svchost process and there should be a tooltip that gives you more info. Or right click properties, the services tab should give you more clues...

14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Have setpoint running in the background, yes. But, I had that for a long time.

Haven't got any mirrors loaded, I try to keep my home PC free of work related stuff...
    Don't see how this should be an issue with nvidia driver?
    They are up to date.
    Yes. I tried both, and neither seems to indicate that the svchost is host to anything but itself...

If it is malware, then what these days is a good tool to detect such things? Seems the only way to get malware nowadays is to install it yourself, and I haven't done that.

15. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    This has to be a bitcoin miner. Had one and had the exact same issues. The sound of my gpu fan was what alerted me. Look in the root of c: for a new folder by date. The one I had was easy to defeat by deleting that folder and taking it out of the startup via msconfig. My gpu was sitting at 89c and gaming in never breaks 75c at 1280 core on a gtx 680.

16. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    Yep, something like bitcoin miner hijack, as it also happened to me. 99% GPU usage and some 20-25% CPU usage without anything running. That svchost (or was is it scvhost) was causing it.

17. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Did a log of bootup and what was going on. Some sneaky stuff was creating svchost files and running them to do something or other. Deleted everything to do with it and it went away.

18. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    sounds like the same virus my brother picked up on his computer...i used a free antivirus program on his pc and it actually managed to successfully remove it...I think it was either AVG or avira so try those....But anyway yea he had the same thing he said his computer was really slow and his cpu was running hotter then normal so I checked it for him and found his core i5 760 idling at 85c and then found that it was not idling at all but actually fully loaded with the culprit being svchost....closing it in task manager fixed the problem but then seconds later it would re open automatically but using the above programs managed to remove it permanently so give it a shot. An if all else fails as a last resort wipe your hard drive. It's most likely a botnet running bitcoin or something hidden in the background on thousands or possibly tens of thousands of computers throughout the world.

You possibly picked the virus up in either a downloaded game or fake game hack as hackers are notorious for this tactic or it could have caught a ride on some sort of software you torrented.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  19. PnP

PnP New Member

use adwcleaner...