100.65 WHQL, Vista + Geforce 8xxx series.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Roccer, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Coolit

Coolit Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 680GTX OC
    Found my first game issue with these drivers and my 8800GTX tonight. Cellfactor Combat Training (the AGEIA Physx demo) when loading has sever graphics glitches, in fact the screen pretty much stays black and occasionally flashes up the usual logos (although corrupt), then once on the main menu your unable to click on any buttons, so at this point you need to use task manager to kill it :( It worked perfectly in .64

Also, I'm getting 100pts less in 3dmark06.

2. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    the bios changes are irrelevant.. the Bios settings I have are the same when I ran Xp pro. Only changes are Vista and Nvidia Drivers and from what I can tell Vista is running fine on all other applications that don't require a hard use of the drivers. Therefore I'm focused on the drivers as a issue which Nvidia needs to get straight.

off topic, System restore is a waste of time on my Gaming PC as I only set itup as such.. if It was full of music and movies and crap I can see why someone woudl use it to save stuff..but otherwise I can reset the whole system in less than an hour so not worth having IMO.

3. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    I am having your same problem with BF2/2142 , However other games like DOD:S COD2 all work fine , though COD2 looks a little nasty it still runs ok.
    I notice ASUS have not updated ANYTHING on my board yet as well , last BIOS 1302beta is almost a year old and NOTHING in the way of drivers.
    I'm beginning to feel like I wasted my money on Vista , only time and driver updates will tell I guess.

650 watt BFG PSU here , should be pleanty of power same system worked fantastic in XPMCE , and no I'm not going back.

4. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Lol, switch that, ran an ingame session of FEAR and it ran like s**t. Xp was lightspeed ahead.

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    sava..... if you didn't notice, i said that for people who may have been having trouble getting Vista to BOOT, not game. i haven't even tried gaming much on Vista yet. why? because i still dual-boot with XP, which as all my games installed on it.

6. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    you can run most if not all from directly in the game drive. Thats how i run ut2004, quake 4 and doom 3

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i cant even download it, says its been removed at the request of nvidia...must be something bad with em

8. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    maybe they're prepping for a release of a new set...... the ones they promised would release by the end of the month, and the start of the monthly releases? we are getting quite close to the end of February, which also means March is right around the corner.... and the release of the CoolerMaster GeminII CPU + Board cooler which i may be buying. wonder if we'll start seeing the upcoming 8800 series coolers start being released in March too.....

9. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    not sure what to think..but yea waiting on some damn good drivers from Nvidia.. plus a new Bios for mobo would be nice, Vista AMD drivers for Dual core would be really nice although I hear they are already on the OS but blah I like loading them and KNOWING they are there and working, same with other drivers etc..

10. ridesy

ridesy Active Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 285
    Just to add my 2 cents, I agree with some earlier posts that whilst Vista is pretty, has some nice features and I have been using it for work for over six months now (solid) as a Technet Subscriber etc, it is pretty awful for DX9 games when compared to XP.

Don't get me wrong, I have Vista loaded on all the PC's in our house and on my work desktop and laptop and as I say I use it day-in day-out for work and my kids/wife use it 100% of the time on their PC and even play simple games (Sims2 etc) using it, but for me (an FPS game nut) it's performance even with 100.64 or 100.65 drivers and 2 x 8800GTX in SLI, is AWFUL when compared to XP.:behead:

All of my PC's have dual boot, the kids don't use XP as there "games" run fine on a single 7600GT card (the rig has 2 x 7600, but drivers as we all know don't support SLI on 7 series yet), but I have to say that I doubt NVIDIA will ever get drivers for Vista (G80's or earlier cards) that will run DX9 as well as XP, so I guess I will have dual boot for years to come and at least untill everything I play is DX10 as that way I have the best of both worlds!

Ridesy:approval:

11. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    How about some different news ,

This is going to sound strange , but I was looking for a nice DX10 game demo at file shack (none found BTW) and ran across on the front page , of all things , a Doom3 patch....to make D3 more compatible with Vista......

SO I reinstalled D3 and the add on ROE and WOW!!! I am not crapp'n you here that game runs smoother now that it ever did in XP!!! I am running it in Ultra detail @ 1680X1050 and its smooth as silk!! there is a little pause (VERY slight) every now and than that can probably be contributed to piss poor BETA sound drivers and Vistas unusually high CPU usage on whatever garb it needs , but other than that it looks and runs SWEET!!

NOW what does this mean?...actually I have no idea , but it sure looks like some game makers are gonna have to add some Vista support to their older DX9 games besides the better drivers we need from our hardware makers before we see the performance we want!!

SO load up D3 and patch it up for a run and see if you get the same results , and BTW isn't D3 OpenGL???

PS: I have GOT to hand it to ID/Activision , D3 must be about 3 to 4 years old and they are STILL supporting it for Vista , VERY NICE!! I hope I see something similar happen for Q4!!

PPS: what do you think the chances of EA trying something like this for BF2?? LOL!!

PPPS: Am I full of crap?? see for yourself!! :eyebrows: I'll be doing a smooth as silk RE-runthrough of D3 ROE while ya do!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  12. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    No offense, but an opinion this early that Vista graphics drivers will never run DX9 programs on Vista as well as they did on XP is a bit silly.

13. ridesy

ridesy Active Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 285
    None taken mate!

But it isn't that silly actually, as Vista haas much higher resource needs all of it's own and my hunch is that NVIDIA and the game programmers for that matter will be concentrating on DX10 for Vista and not rying to get it's performance in DX9 upto XP's!

We already have what NVIDIA says is DX9 SLI for the 8800's but even if 3D benchmarks are only slightly lower, the feel in games is a lot slower.

I hope to be proved wrong (I guess) as that way I can run a single OS, but my point was that I am happy running dual boot and I think I will be running DX9 games from XP for a long time yet, if not forever.

Ridesy

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    there have been few games that ran on my comp better on vista then xp but only few rest were not so nice :D

15. cvroy

cvroy Member

C'mon Nvidia, you can do it :)

don't make me use the

[​IMG]

16. kh0rn3

kh0rn3 Member

Should I turn on use multiple core option in the nvidia control panel? I have 8800 gtx sli and fx-60.

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    nvidia must be off today cause of Presidents day.. I was expecting another driver :(

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    ridesy: yes, Vista uses more resources than XP when you have the eye candy turned on.... but the fact of the matter is, it appears that whenever you run a game, it turns a lot of said eye-candy off. As a test of this.... if you have Vista Ultimate with the Dreamscapes preview, play a video file you have on your computer with it.... one you know has sound, and turn the sound on for it when it's playing in Dreamscapes. Then, open an IE window maximized. the video pauses automatically.

19. Critical_Impact

Critical_Impact Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 640MB 8800GTS @ 620/900
    Don't know why everyone always says BF2 and BF2142 have bad performance. I normally get like around 99 FPS on both when just running around and it drops to maybe 70 min. Thats on 1280x1024, max everything, 4xAA, 16xAF

I run all of em on 1280x1024

Heres some general speeds I've found in games.
    BF2: Really quick, 70-90FPS, max
    Black and White 2 + EXP: Max everything, 20-50fps(kinda sucks, anyone else get this?)
    Trackmania United: Max everything, 50-90fps
    Quake 4: Max everything, 30-70fps(should I be getting more?)
    Oblivion: Max everything, 30-100(lags when loading stuff into memory so its retarted and i cant play it)
    Call of Juarez: Max everything bar shadows cause it screws up on Vista, 50-100

Anyone else want to give their experience with their 8800?

20. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    FPS isn't a issue that i've seen...just unstable drivers depending on the hardware and such which should have been taken care of by now. BF2 has a in game capped FPS... true FPS I'm getting in BF2 is around 180 which is really good but it isnt' worth a damn if I cant' finish a round without crashing to desktop or blue screening.