10% Overclock 24/7 = Death?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SVT Amateur, May 21, 2005.

1. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    Alright guys, I've been out of the forums for the last 2-3 weeks due to Guild Wars (the game is awesome) but can't play this weekend due to video card death (at least, this is what I believe). It seemed like everything was going fine till I started Guild Wars, and then I saw major memory artifacting (please note that I ran my x800 XT @ 550 Mhz Core / 550 Mhz Memory 24/7 and that stock is 500 Mhz Core / 500 Mhz Memory). I thought clocking my card back down to stock speeds would be ok and then restarted the computer, but then Guild Wars or any other 3D game would not run. After trying to reset my CMOS and checking the power supply, my video card now displays artifacts in bios screen and startup, and when the Windows screen first appears the computer then reboots or just doesn't respond. I've tried reverting back to my original bios settings but nothing seems to work, and not like I expected it to, as I know my card is toast. So I'm guessing the 10% overclock running 24/7 for the last 7 months did it, although my stock VGA Silencer was running at 100% whenever the computer was on, and temps weren't an issue. Thankfully I have an ASUS x850 XT PE on the way from Newegg overnighted that will arrive Monday, and I won't be overclocking it as the stock clocks are better (at least with memory) then what I was running my x800 XT at overclocked.

2. Pr0v

Pr0v Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus A9600XT/TD
    very strange that your card died from OCing, if thats the diagnosis :p

btw... you got money growing on your back? :blunt:

3. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, I'm really hoping it's the video card and not also something else that I just bought (i.e. motherboard).

Oh, and I own my own restaurant, so I have some extra money lying around when I need it.

4. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    Hmm... I'm really surprised only 10% has gone and done your card in in only 7 months, especially with an ATi silencer. Well, hope you have better luck with that X850 - Killer card...

5. Pr0v

Pr0v Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus A9600XT/TD
    ah yes, nice :D

try RMA'ing the card perhaps?

6. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    ehmmm an advice from me:

Dont overclock that x850xt... Why do you need more speed???!?!??

7. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    the card is still under warranty, you should try rma'ing it like prov said. btw what kind of restaurant?

8. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well, I think I lost the receipt with my move, and I bought it from SuperPCMart, which basically sucked as a retailer (at least in my experience). Who would I need to contact regarding the RMA, as I'm sure SuperPCMart will be of no help (unlike Newegg)? I'm resigned to the fact of having to shell out $650 for the x850 XT PE (which will make a decent upgrade) although I did enjoy the x800 XT, as it was able to run Guild Wars at max settings and resolution with not hiccups. I guess if I could get the RMA I could sell the card on eBay and make a little dent in the the purchase of this new card. I'll go check SuperPCMart's website and see if they have any information about RMA'ing.

Oh, and I own a Chick-fil-A. It's a quick-service chicken restaurant, and is the second highest quick-service chain in sales of chicken in the United States (next to KFC).

9. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    Contact HIS and ask them about the rma, i know comapnies like bfg dont ask for a receipt so maybe they are the same.