‘Vista blows’ says DirectX creator

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by iako, Mar 25, 2008.

1. NDgamer

NDgamer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 BlackEdition
    Windows Vista SP1 X64 FTW! i love vista people say how slow it is and junky when they here the name "vista" just a lot people don't know what there doing when it comes to installing chipset drivers and proper drivers overall to make it run good. ive been beta testing vista when it was longhorn and ever build version of the announcement of vista and to SP1 its great! SP1 i believe turned around vista for such as lower end pc's. i run it every day with no problems few glitches here and there but although XP does too comon it took 3 Service Packs for XP to get it right lol! and its just not microsofts fault Nvidia And ATI also have part to the DirextX part and GUI base and perfromace too because thats also based on the Driver Support on how a opertering system runs. ive had drivers make even XP run like crap because of bad driver building... lol :]

2. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Don't waste your time. For some, progress means getting twice the hardware resources to do whatever they already did anyway and calling whoever doesn't have the latest hardware a noob/retard. Because M$ told them that underneath it all lies a brand new engine. Which, btw, you can't really check, cause it's illegal.

3. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    XP is so much better he is correct vista is an overbloated pile of crap and DX10 could easily be made to work XP if they werent so bloody annoying at microsoft

4. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    M$

Your missing a key point.

5. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    LOL !! you have a point Gold Diggers Literally

6. Qbert71

Qbert71 Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 640 @ 621/999
    Both Vista and XP are fine but having installed the hotfixes and now SP1, I prefer Vista by a couple of hairs.

Now I just gotta figure out this APPCRASH problem with RivaTuner’s statistic server and all will be even rosier.

7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    And again this thread becomes an XP vs Vista thread. Sad really.

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    not larrabee, he was referring to nahlems- they will have direct cpu to gpu access.

And he said visa sucked cuz MS cut that direct hardware access that directx suppose to have, so they ****ed up allot in vista, you all can figure out the rest... and lol this - omg vista onwnz u all are vista haters crap leave for your self :p

imo vista still sux even with sp1 its not that efficient as it suppose to be...lol and it even disables some hardware support for some intel chipsets wdf is that?

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    hmmmm its a shame half the ppl who hate vista have not even tryed it

10. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    I was just talking to my brother over the phone about that. Vista has actually been a pretty solid OS for me. I only had to reinstall it once at its early stage after initial release (RTM version). Sure XP is 'stable' and 'compatible'...it's also been out for a century and has had a billion updates. DirectX might be a little weak-sauce, but it's also because developers are getting lazy. It's not Vista's fault.

I also have 4GB ram. It only takes a low-end video card to be able to use the graphical features of Vista.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Neither was SP2 for XP, though SP2 was a pretty nice upgrade, compared to what it should have been it wasn't that great. Now, I don't want to insult you, but if you want to argue and seem like you have reason and sense to argue, spell a little bit better. I don't mind not using punctuation, but no one is going to take it seriously if you are to lazy to can't spell "because" without forgetting the B, or throwing in a Z.

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    lol cuz;)
    because is a long word to write, but i will try to do better in the future :p

and i tried vista, i woot :) even won a legit vista ultimate 32 & 64 bit version, it was a contest here in my country don't get fouled by a fake, so yes i know what i'm talking about, i tested it like a moth ago just before sp1 and it behaved pretty much the same as it was around september, still slow file copying when accessing large files on removable media (dvd), and not to mention that strange bug when using wmp11 and enabling srs wow fx - abnormal cpu usage, and some other issues like i/o problems,... and from what i've read its not much better with sp1, still slow speed when reading allot or large files (from dvd), ok they fixed some copy issues and rar issues but still a no go for me, not until they fix those issues i mentioned before.

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Thank you very much! I concur! I have had vista 64 forever on my rig now with 4gb ram and its solid like a rock. only has stability issues when I try to oc too far :)

Love Vistax64 so far.. regardless of what some dev says. Specially one that made DirectX. Ack :p

Typical. the internet = full of people who want to know wtf they're talking about, but don't.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The only issue you've mentioned before was the intel chipset support which is mainly just the 945, which has never worked right in Vista. Both the Os and manufacture are at fault for that. For me, SP1 fixed the slow file copying, WMP11 hardly uses my cpu, Media center now plays my HD content no breeze, so I also know what I'm saying as well. I love my Vista 64-bit, never going back to XP. You can keep on XP, but don't ruin Vista for users who haven't used it yet, or even tried it yet. Big concern though with Vista which I hoped SP1 would have fixed, Vista still goes both ways for people, good or bad.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    well i didn't want to go in the details but since you did... and wmp11 yes it uses low cpu usage, but try enabling srs wow effect "plug-in" in wmp11 while listening to high quality mp3 320kbs or in flac format, and u'll see what i'm talking about, because i noticed that with my onboard HDaudio, so i though it must the the soundcard but no its still here with x-fi...
    so imo yes it still has a long way to its "perfection"

edit: don't get me wrong i'm not a vista hater even if i sound like one, i love it it looks nice and with that fresh look its a breze of fresh air to your eyes its just those little things that ruin it all.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008

16. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    I've been having read errors in XP too, every once in a while everything would just freeze, then go back to normal. I can't seem to get it to boot with the other controller though, is there some special option in the BIOS?

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I think a big factor in people's hate for Vista is that they buy a brand new PC or laptop that comes with Vista, and have no idea that they are buying the setup with only a GB of RAM.

They then get crappy performance on top of the issues that Vista has/had, and things seem to be terrible and things get blown out of proportion.

Sure, Vista isn't perfect. I don't think any sane person would say it was. But a lot of the fault lies on PC and laptop makers that are trying to save a few bucks/quid/euros.

18. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    That's very true, but there are still many enthusiasts who don't like it. Another gripe I have with it is that it's networking is really wonky with XP machines, both me and a friend had issues with that.

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    C'mon..the guy writes a small column for PCworld now, he's a nobody anymore. his code he helped develop doesnt exist in DX10 anymore, hes just jeulous or some personal issues with his former employer.

another thing, if you read his montly page articles, you'll notice he blabs alot and proves nothing.
    i have yet to see an article he wrote where he provided clear evidence, any evidence for that matter, he just writes opinions.....c'mon, he's an old coder from the windows 95 era...BIG WHOOP

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Well ill just say i have non cracked versions( i.e. legit :) ) of XP pro and Vista Ultimate and i still have no reason to boot Vista

I like the article, it has some great points on current games and the fact that nigh on everything story wise is scripted and dull instead of using proper physics which may come from ray tracing