1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Vista blows’ says DirectX creator

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by iako, Mar 25, 2008.

1. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
  2. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I kinda agree with him, Vista is bloated but the x64 version is far better than the XP x64 and larger amounts of RAM are needed sooner or later. And of course DX10 sucks, at least the software we now have.

3. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    That's rich coming from the man responsible for Wildtangent...

4. Rammstein

Rammstein Master Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 8800GT ZALMAN 512MB
    He is talking in the article like intels larrabee is already out and ready for mass production. Of course 3d gaming will change in that direction but maybe only in 3 years.
    Second also nvidia will react and AMD will adapt ATI aswell. I still dont think you can bring the highend market to CPU GPU in one. The biggest problem I see is in heat prodcution, also with 32nm. For mainstream and low cost systems its surly a good and cheap solution.

5. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    Zotac AMP Extrme 1080 GTX
    When I was an XP user I had to format it every 6 - 12 months due to it being overloaded with crap. I must admit Vista 64 has been up and running for me since it was launched and its been a great experience and its STILL not full of crap.

It runs faster than XP does on my machine

I have 4GB of RAM ofc

6. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC

Opposite for me, my Vista X64 installation crapped out after only a few days, it was unbearably slow and everything crashed randomly. I'm sticking with XP for sure.

7. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    My XP hasn't been reinstalled since I had an AthlonXP.

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    ROFL COPTER!!!....I totally agree. This guy is full of BS..plain and simple. Vista runs great for me SP1 included.

9. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    The summary may be a bit harsh, but the full interview doesn't look full of crap.

10. Raven'sBlood

Raven'sBlood Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GTX

No problems here with vista either. Ultimate X64 with SP1.

11. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Same here.

While it was not initially a great experience, it has drastically improved and I think there are a lot of great features in vista that to me are useful. I could never see myself going back to XP at this point wither way, so i have no complaints.

Most of the Vista Hatred thing revolves around retards repeating the statements of the even more retarded. lol

Oh well....

12. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Hmm hopefully Open GL one day becomes the main platform I still prefer Open GL games over Directx.
    I am still ready if MS ever sells DX10.1 for XP i would rather pay for DX for XP then Vista. and yes i have vista sux bullocks

And yes Vista is better with SP1 but Server 2k3 with SP2 rapes it a new one. My Games run worse on vista, and I aint talking 3fps difference when both OS's are tweaked and etc 2k3 beats it by 10-20fps. Windows 2k8 is ok as well better then vista from my testing but need to do more testing to see if thats what I finally upgrade to.

13. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Can only agree with worthy here, sure vista is bloated for a p3 with 1 GB of memory
    But for a C2D or C2Q with 4 GB memory and a 500 GB HDD it's Peanuts/overkill

I have vista SP1 since almost a week now and I don't see any improvements most of the time because there was nothing to improve

14. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    But see, that's the problem. An OS should be as transparent as possible while running something that takes up a lot of resources. IMO, if it's using over 512mb of RAM just sitting at the desktop doing nothing, with no programs running in the background something is seriously screwed up.

15. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    You are right !!

16. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    Zotac AMP Extrme 1080 GTX
    The transparency border must be brought forward eventually, otherwise we will be stuck in the past. You can disable a lot of services to reduce Vista's overall demand. However, I have never needed to. I played Crysis to the end with Very High everything bar shadows on 1440X no aa and it was smooth :)

17. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    A 300$ computer is considered a low end computer, and you can easily get a GB or two of memory, and it's not even 2 years into this new OS

Am sorry but it took more then 2 years after xp's release to have low-end computer running it well

if you want to have a computer sit idle at low ammount of memory go back to Windows 98, but I'll be looking forward ... not 10 years backward

18. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    That's the problem though, if you disable services you'll realize just how many applications need them. There are barely any that you can safely disable. Personally, I'm fine with XP, I don't use any of the built-in crap that Vista has anyway, to me it's just a useless upgrade.

19. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    It's your motherboard. I had the CFX3200-UT as well and couldn't figure what the hell was causing all of my system crashes in Vista 64 until I went to the event viewer. I just about fell out of my chair after seeing all of the HDD related errors. After just a few weeks the errors with faulty writes, disks not responding, bad reads and more had risen to being well over 1000 individual events. The ULI chipset was causing massive problems due to very poor drivers. I gave up on the system and did a complete overhaul. It's been rock steady since I did.

I was supremely disappointed with that board myself. It never had good drivers for XP or Vista (XP still gets write errors to this day) and it just frankly was an awful experience. Sure I could've used the Silicon Image SATA, but that would literally halve the performance of the drives. It had such great potential to see it get held back by such shoddy drivers was absolutely shameful on both Nvidia's part (because they purchased ULI) and on DFI's part for essentially dropping the board in its prime.

Screencap showing just a handful of the errors.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Blaming the OS for your crappy API works? =\ Vista doesn't blow, DX10 blows.