1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Pre-owned a bigger problem than piracy’

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Liranan, May 14, 2010.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    haha my heart is fine don't worry :D

*dies*

even insane people would still disagree about what these companies are doing, companies got this smart way of making the illegal look legal, except most people don't fall for this crap.

2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    TVs are expensive in development as well Advertising/Tech Development/Manufcaturing

3. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti OC Stri
    EA "Hey everyone!! Try my soup!! It's super awesome!!Only $60 a bowl."

Paying customer "Can I try a little bit first?"

EA "No."

Paying customer "How do I know it's any good?"

EA "I just said it was super awesome. What more do you need?"

Paying customer "Proof. It's gonna cost me some money so I want to at least have a taste of it first."

EA "Well if I do that you may get full and not want any more. Then I just lost a sale. Here you can look at a picture of it."

Paying customer "How is that going to help me want your soup? NVM. I just lost my appetite"

Another Customer " Hey, you can have the rest of my soup for $10. It's pretty good too. I'm just full now."

Paying customer "OK. That's cool. *SLURP* MMMM it is good. Wow EA, you do make good soup."

EA "Thanks. That'll be $20 or I call the cops and say you stole it."

Paying customer "!?!?!"

GREAT analogy Sprecker
    You should blogg this some where, make it more visible....

4. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    Absolutely correct.

For example; you can't smoke cannabis legally in your own home because you do not truly own your home and are consequently subject to the laws of the government. This is because it, and you, are owned by them. You are not truly free.

This is fact.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    absolutely wrong actually, you cannot smoke cannabis legally in your home because cannabis is illegal, not because you do not own your home.

you cannot kill your wife in your house not because you do not own your house, it's because killing is illegal.

you can $hit and piss on your own carpet though and no one will complain, if someone sees you might say GROSS, but otherwise it's your carpet and you're free to burn it if you want.

let's not confuse things here. :wanker:

6. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I understand what you're saying, but now you're debating the meaning of freedom and ownership on another level.
    You are always only free by the grace of others, so you're digging too deep here.

What is discussed here is not freedom from government, but freedom from companies who try to decide what you may or may not do with your stuff.
    They try to infringe on your rights with a lot off bullcrap, and that's not okay. They have no legislative power (although lobbying does seem to work rather well nowadays) and they shouldn't EVER have that power.
    The EULA which comes with games for example isn't valid here in the Netherlands. They make it seem like it is though, but that's their problem.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Technically, you're allowed to smoke it...But you can't have any possession of it...:D So they're basically shutting it down a step before the big one...Lock down ftw!

8. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 GTX
    double

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  9. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 GTX
    Dont know what country you guys are from, but I own both my cars, truck, and house, bought and paid for. The only thing I have to do is register and insure them. Which makes sense so if someone crashes into me runs me over I'd like a way to identify and get paid.

Other than that, I can wreck them, burn them paint them drive both into a river (might get a DEP fine for that one) or sell them at anytime I want.

I understand I have to pay taxes on my house so all the welfare mommies can get there food stamps on time.

So can you explain exactly how I dont own them?

Do you even have a house or car?

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  10. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Just ignore that media-industry-shill. He's trying to make up arguments "you don't own anything" to make the media/software industry seem less obnoxious.

//Svein

11. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    lol ye i agree, although i'm a non-smoker and never smoked anything in my life (never even tried before) so i don't know anything about cannabis or the laws that applies to them, i only know about the possible medical benefits because i read a lot about science. :p

12. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    You been watching the threads here lately? The nonsense that is spewed by many posters is nothing more than the corporate propaganda they believe in.

They claim all sorts of things, ignoring law and copying blatant lies.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    just let them believe what they want, it's not up to us to babysit, the point is that we're all sharing our point of view, some will agree some won't, that's how it is not only with corporate propaganda but with just about everything in life.

i must say that a few people in this thread added some fair points though, but we also shouldn't forget that we're not equal (unfortunately), some countries got very different law systems and the posts are based on where they're coming from and what they think is right, it would be very hard to convince those users otherwise without falling into the flame/bash trap which is best avoided by respecting their opinion even if you do not agree.

in other words buy your head.;)

14. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Year: The problem is that one country in particluar a little over a century ago made case-law that legal entities (unions, corporations, special interest groups) were "persons" under the law, and thus had the same person privileges from their constitution (but of course: None of the duties of their flesh and blood counterparts). This honest mistake has been abused (as all rights given to corporations are) to make sure that corporations now have _MORE_ rights than flesh-and-blood persons.

Not only that, but this country has let those corporations more or less purchase their foreign policies and lawmaking process, and since those corporations have found that using workers from their own country hurts bonus-payouts they currently employ only upper management and lawyers domestically, and do all else overseas (or lease foreigners in via abuse of the H1-B system).

That country's major export activity today, is stupid copyright laws and media propaganda, and they do have a rather high unemployment rate for a western world country. Go figure.

//Svein

15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

16. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Fortunately this isn't legal or valid in the majority of the world, as I've said many times before. Even in the Western world the majority of countries haven't legalised this.

AHAHAHAHAHA

PIRATES!! They're all pirates and should go to prison!

Everything.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  17. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    LIES! SLANDER! The government is trying to buy all the land in the world, and then make us work for them in salt mines!

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    fair use was gutted by big music, movie, and game corporations in the states. granted when digital music and books came around ti was much easier to pirate copyrighted material. not that bootleg books, audio and video tapes never existed before the internet.

but back in the day you could legally make a backup copy of something you bought under fair use usage. not until coroprations got together and decided they do not like people backing up their barney dvds, abba audio tapes. etc that their kids used for frisbees and coloring books, dipped in the toilet for whatever reason, so parents would have to run out buy another once their children destroyed it.

the current climate if you do own what you buy anymore is all fine and dandy, until they start in with with other media and items and telling you you owe the parent corp a take of when you sell your used car, or couch, tv, stereo, console etc, etc.

really consumers need to wake up. the price of cd doubled overnight with the calls that it was because of piracy that a cd that used to cost 11 dollars was suddenly 18 dollars overnight.

movie companies will tell you it is illegal to rerip your dvds to a region free or another region if you should move out of the hemisphere and that you need to rebuy all your dvds anymore or try and find a region free dvd player.

no the world it getting more and more nonsensical, and does more to harm the consumer than pirates period, since "pirates" do not care about copyright laws, and imo if i bought a dvd and i move to europe i got every right in the world to rip the region out of it instead of spend a few 100 dollars to rebuy all my movies in pal format because hollywood says i cannot even make a backup for my own personal use of the movies i bought. yea if i bought a movie i cannot make copies to redistribute for free or for sale, but i will be dammed if they will tell me what i can do for my own personal use if it is never going to leave my living room.

does that make me a pirate? since they gutted free use laws then i guess it does.

and how does video game drm hurt anyone but the consumer? ubisofts vaunted drm is cracked and done with, securerom is cracked, tages is cracked, starforce is cracked, only one i not seen cracked is arma2's fade protection, yea you can get a no cd exe, or buy it off steam like me and have no protection at all, but try a no dvd crack for fade and the fade will still hit you even tho the game will not ask for a dvd.

so do pirates care about drm really? not really it just gives them something new to figure out when something new pops up. yea they might not be able to get a game day one but they will have it soon enough.

todays laws makes the consumer a sucker and rewards those that will pirate. all the sites and filesharing that have membership fees may not host content but they allow people to find whatever they want and make a buck while people dl copyrighted material. and try and skirt the actual laws with the clause we just index stuff we do not host it. ask newsbin how that worked out and how much those guys will have to pay out, think i read they made someone like 700k in one year from subscriber fees. well the mpaa shut them down is looking to take all or most of that cash off them.

so who are the pirates? the people that simply want a backup copy or something they bought? the people that do not want to not have drm on their systems for games they bought, the people that have crappy internet connections and limited bandwidth and may dl a server emulator for the ubisoft drm? the people that dl anything and everything off torrents and newservers, the people that host indexing services for free or pay?

all of them are pirates some should not be.

19. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    all this movement against piracy has gotten out of hand. it was OK and justifiable at some point before, but now companies are just getting greedier and greedier. they would just want to put fines on every possible situation if possible it seems.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Well i may now get my xbox 360 flashed seeing as its confirmed that piracy is not as bad as the second hand gaming market, thank got that's just been confirmed by somebody in the industry. LOL