£350 - £400 budget for upgrades and christmas soon...

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tHe_HyBrId, Oct 30, 2006.

1. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Oh FFS, i just realised that I posted this in the wrong thread...swear I put it in general hardware ffs...moderator move this if you wish please.

Hey there everyone, I'm lookng to change my Processor, RAM and mobo at christmas, on a budget of £350 - £400..There is a fair amount that I can salvage from my current PC..well basically most of it.

I can salvage:

X1800XT (It will do until DX10 releases have settled down)
    OCZ 700W gamextream PSU
    Thermaltake Kandalf and all fans etc.
    Dvd drive
    Dvd writer drive
    Both of my 200GB seagate barracuda 7,200rpm hard drives.
    My new Belkin Gigabit network card.

Also I am from the UK...so websites such as new egg aren't exactly ideal for me...

Here are the 3 main websites that I purchase from:

1. www.overclockers.co.uk

2. www.ebuyer.com

3. www.dabs.com

Processor wise..I'm pretty sure that I will be looking to get the C2D e6600..
    http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...tionKey=11147,4294957024,4294958803&InMerch=1 but if people have any preferences on this please state them.

But I am not so sure about motherboards and RAM, I am looking for a sturdy, preferably ABIT motherboard that supports some OC'ing and has Crossfire/SLI capability, it has to be ATX size or above, my case supports, Micro ATX, ATX, E-ATX and BTX, but preferably ATX. In general, a motherboard that is very good value for performance that supports atleast 2GB of RAM. I found the Abit AB9 on overclockers...but I am not an expert at this, so I would liked an experts advice please :) 4th model down on this link:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Abit_176.html

Finally the RAM, I would be very happy with any of these models:

Corsair
    Crucial (my current make)
    Geil
    OCZ

and I wouldn't mind trying out G.Skill or patriot since I have heard that they are good brands also.

Minimum RAM speed that I would get is 800MHz, and 2GB of RAM is preferable, but I would nto complain if only 1GB could fit inot the budget for the time being ,because I would still have a working computer.
    RAM that I believ to be ideal for me are the corsair XMS2 selections found at the bottom of this link:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS2_Memory.html

And I do not mind if the latencies of the RAM is 5-5-5-12, just my preference though...So please, I would really appreciate it if I got help from some pc experts...and remember I'm from the UK, so preferably UK stores and in short, what I am looking for:

Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz at £210 or less
    Chipset P965 Intel Mobo, supporting minimum 2GB RAM and ATX
    Minimum 1GB ddr2 RAM with latency 5-5-5-12 or better @ 800MHz or faster.

Budget £350 - £400

Thanks in advance ;)

tHe_HyBrId

P.S. Will the P965 motherboards that currently support Core 2 Duo, also support Core 2 Quadro (kentsfield) when it is released??

And sorrry if a lot of the words that I have typed sound noob...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    I would pay a little extra and get this Motherboard
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_MSI_204.html
    The one in the top
    [​IMG]
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/11/four_975x_motherboards_for_core_2_duo/page15.html

Motherboards that work with Kentsfield

Also 1Gb of RAM is not enough these days you should try to get 2Gb of RAM

3. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    I want 2gb of RAM, but I would be happy with 1GB to start off with, because it would atleast mean that I have a working pc, also I'm not really fond of MSI, my current mobo is MSI and I have had trouble after trouble with it..but thanks for the quick reply anyways :)

Also budget is £350 - £400 for CPU, MOBO AND RAM, I think that £135 just for mobo is a little much for the budget...

Also thanks for the mother boards that work with kentsfield link :) It's good to see that some motherboards using P965 will support it :D.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  4. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M

5. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Thanks Infected Nexus, those prices look ace :) just one question though, is the "Gigabyte GA 965P-S3 iP965, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX" going to be Core 2 Quadro (kentsfield) compatible, with a simple BIOS upgrade or straight off working with it? Also I do not know much about Gigabit, have heard good and bad opinions about them, I will go and research into this board...and also anyone who has this/a gigabit board plz could you give some unput?? Thanks again :) off to check the board out.

P.S. motherboard doesn't have to be very OC friendly, only a little bit, I don't have the foggiest idea about watercooling (yet) so I wouldn't OC that much...although I have heard that Core2's go far on air :D.

P.S.2 also that high speed RAM article, does it mean that I could buy corsair value or soemthing? or 533 or 667 Mhz, it says the performance decrease is minimal (3 - 6%) so what are peoples views on this?

P.S.3 Just checked on the kentsfield compatibility website, says that the Gigabit 965-S3 is compatible :bigsmile:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  6. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Could anybody else please answer my new above questions please??

7. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    Zotac AMP Extrme 1080 GTX
    The ab9 pro is a mess and im returning it tomorrow after trying for 3 weeks to make it run my RAM properly and after investigating through the web a lot of people are having problems with this board. wiouldnt advise buying it

8. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Ok I'll take your word for it that the Abit AB9 and Pro are not perfect.

Here is what my goal it to get, because I am now looking to buy the parts after christmas in the sales...if there are any.

Here is my new list of hardware that I'll hopefully buy:

1.Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-108-AB

This version has firewire unlike the 'non-MAX' version, so it is needed, also I'm liking its reviews.

2.Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Socket 775 2.4GHz

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...de=1&NavigationKey=11147,4294958803&InMerch=1

Obvious choice for me...it is the cheapest C2D with 4mb cache and to get the equivalent power with a 2mb cache C2D, it needs to be clocked 200Mhz higher. SO...:

2mb L2 Cache 1.86GHz e6300 @ 2.6GHz = 4mb L2 cache 2.4GHz e6600..

and because I have never overclocked a processor, achieving an 800MHz OC on an e6300 might be a tad hard for my small mind.

3.Corsair Memory CM2X1024 - 6400 1GB XMS2-6400 240Pin DIMM CAS5

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...geMode=1&NavigationKey=11150,50113,4294955840

I want this RAM because I have heard that latencies do not matter with RAM and C2D's but even though this RAM's clock frequency is out of sync with the FSB of the C2D, its sheer raw clock freuency makes up for the lack of sync.

I would consider buying some DDR2 PC4200 RAM because they are in sync with the C2D and if they were sold as decent sets of RAM and not 'VALUE' sets

4.Please may I have peoples opinions on this selection.

Gran Total price of the above is around £428, a little over budget but might be able to squeeze to meet the hardware specs.