£1gbp > $2usd

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by morbias, Apr 17, 2007.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    The British pound is currently worth 2.00515 USD!

"The pound has moved through the $2 mark for the first time since 1992, as investors bet interest rates would have to rise to slow inflation.

Consumer prices rose by 3.1% in March, the Office for National Statistics said. The ONS also said that its retail price inflation rate rose to 4.8%.

Many economists consider an interest rate rise in May to be a certainty.

By late afternoon on Tuesday, one pound was worth $2.005, having been solidly above the $2 mark since late morning.

The stronger pound has been good news for British visitors to the US, but has made life more difficult for exporters. " source:bbc news

yet the amount we pay for stuff in the UK is still much higher, what gives...

2. InGen

InGen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    We have higher tax rates, we have to pay 17.5% VAT on everything...were part of the EU(some good some bad) and we have "Royalty".

InGen

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Go Go Go, buy from the US, i read in the paper today that this week it was gonna happen, didn't know it had today.

4. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    The pound also has weaker buying power despite being double the value. Case in point, somebody in the 8600 news thread posted an 8600GTS that was selling for 120.63 pounds without VAT. That's $273 Canadian. The same card is $210 Canadian here.

In actual buying power, and not trade value, the pound is still worth less than the US dollar.

5. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    google says

1 British pounds = 1.9894 U.S. dollars

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  6. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    Zotac AMP Extrme 1080 GTX
    1 GBP = 1.4781 EUR right now

7. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    By the time you've paid shipping expenses and income tax when the item(s) enter the country you'll usually have negated any cost benefit. :) The only time I order from the US is when I can't get hold of items here like audiophile headphones only sold in America.

8. Waffen-5

Waffen-5 Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 768mb
    Whey!! i'm going to america in august, should be a cheaper trip an I can buy all sorts stuff :)

It's still more expensive over here because of a) the VAT tax and b) only the british are gullible to spend an extra 10-20% more than consumers elsewhere.