Is the name Longhorn sounds stupid?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by nexusworks, Nov 16, 2004.

?

How you feel about the name Longhorn

1. Yes! what kind of name is that!!!

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No it sounds good for an OS

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. No comment

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

Right On!!

ITs funny how these dummies complain and insult Microsoft and in their SPECS-Operating System it says Microsoft 2000

2. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Those "dummies" complain exactly because they have no choice but to use Microsoft OS for DirectX games. So your comment above is absolutely redundant. :mad2:

3. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with arctic cooling fan
    Thats so true, my question is whether the name Longhorn sounds stupid not whether this is a lousy OS. There are heaps of things I like about Windows and heaps that I hate, and I not going into it.

When I first heard this codename it sounds like "Long Gone" its a bit of a put off. Its just a name. I know we be all wanting to try the new Windows when it comes for sure. This is just a question, not slapping each other saying that this OS is bad. Hell they can even call it Lousy 2006 and we still need to buy it anyway. but it will be such a dumb name to call for a product, dont you think?

My point is they are a professional company, and I thought they would at least put in some effort to give a proper codename. This would help advertise their product anyway.

4. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

You dont like it? Then create your own operating system. Exactly you have nothing else but Microsoft to play directX games on, so stop complaning. Sorry about the "Dummies" comment.

5. Karst

Karst Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 5700 Ultra 128MB\9600Pro
    It doesn't bother me if they want to start codenaming their OSes after animals. Longhorns are great cattle. fun to watch and tasty.

As far as us not having a gaming platform with M$. Someone else would have developed it. Maybe a year or two later. HEck they might have even done a better job. It might have been different like one OS for productivity and a second OS for entertainment and gaming. It's impossible to tell.

IMO there are no Necessary companies. Just like the cemetaries are full of men who thought they were necessary, the bankruptcy court archives are full of companies that thought they were the olnly ones who could do something.

6. Incognito

Incognito Guest

Longhorn actually is a bar near the Blackcomb and Whistler ski resorts (and no, that's not sarcasm :p).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2004
  7. Karst

Karst Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 5700 Ultra 128MB\9600Pro
    Yes I read that earlier as a probable reason for the name. However the bar takes its name from the breed of cattle and I like to think of M$ new product as an animal being led to the slaughter. he he he.

ALthough I tend to choose sides poorly so M$ will likely succeed wildly with Longhorn.

<---is a New York Jets, Islanders and Pittsburgh Pirates fan.

8. Roliath

Roliath Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 6970 crossfire
    I like the name longhorns...then again i'm from texas..

9. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    is long hore going to be good

10. PH8

PH8 Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS Excalibur IceQII X800XT Platinum Edition
    It's a reference term for Christ's sake! Why are so many ppl hung up about the sound of it?

I'm interested in the workings of, and 'new ideas' for it. I don't really give a sh!t how the name sounds. Sheesh...

[​IMG]

11. Incognito

Incognito Guest

Well, Longhorn is gonna be mostly junk imo, since they've stripped away too much and are just rushing it to market (stripping stuff away meaning stripping the WinFS file system, which is just sad since that was supposed to be one of the highlights of it).

12. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    I hate it when a product is being rushed off, it just going back to the same thing again service pack one and so on. As for its just being a reference name, I do care if its a lousy name. Just like you dont want to be called by some stupid name and make you look bad. The fact that this is a serious project, give it a proper name so that people will treat it with more respect and it helps market the product making more people keen to learn more from it.

Junk or no junk, all I am saying show a bit more interest in own product and give a bit more thought than just giving some name that people can make fun of.

13. PH8

PH8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ok, when I first saw the name I thought it sounded...ummm.... different. That's as far as it went: a fleeting thought. It had absolutely no bearing on whether I was going to learn more about it or not.

It wasn't like "Pfffft! Stoopid name... Now where are those MacOS mags..."

Allrighty then. What would you have called it, hmmm?

In fact, for all those who have been bitching about the name, let's see you come up with a better one. :p

14. PH8

PH8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, I agree with ya there. Rushing it to market only creates more bugs (than usual ;) )

And taking away WinFS is pretty dumb seeing as how much hype they've put into that very aspect of it. I suppose the PR guys'll be working overtime to come up with a 'valid' reason for its omission.

15. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    I stand on my point, as it wasnt a great name to pronounce where it feels like " Long Gone" when mentioned. This is not the 80s so try to impress people more with a bit of creativitiy? I very sure I can come up with good names and I am sure many else here can which I dont feel its necessary to provide only will make the company look bad.

Again this is now about whether the OS is good or not, its about the interest of the product the company reflects. A good codename will and attract many non interested customers about the OS, maybe even an increase of 2% which is still a lot. All I am saying that impression counts whether or not you are an established company, it can and may put people off unecessary. Image + packaging + marketing and Quality of product makes people more interested to know more plus you will get more customers especially I know some people who refuse to use XP or 2000 and still use old 98SE. To some of us, it may look dumb that they still use 98 but to them, they feel not impressed and they didnt upgrade the OS. So this is a chance to make these few minority and others to use the new OS, why take a chance and blow it away?

16. PH8

PH8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Is that like doing push-ups but with no arms or feet touching the ground? :D ;)

Anyway, seriously, yes you do indeed make valid points above. I see that you mean like that they should be seen to put more effort into their choosing. I was extremely tired when I posted yesterday.

But I still stand on my point (Ouch!! That hurts!) of the fact that it doesn't make that much difference to me. Then again, I'm a relative n00b to tech in general. :)

17. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    Oh well not everybody has to agree with it : ) I think Its a bit hush too on my part i guess. Its only a name that I felt that could have increased interests in many people who doesnt know about. Thats just an opinion.
    cheers!

18. BuMp

BuMp Guest

GPU:
    Intel 540
    Not a good name and imo they should not kick out softwares,like that especially a Operating System,which has to make a journey with computer world for approximately 3 whole years.Afterall, Microsoft should get lesson from Valve.

19. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    idiots.... its a f**King code name. Why name the OS b4 its even finished?? cause thats just f*cked. That is why there are code names.

now, i'm off to install whistler on new clawhammer CPU.

20. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    stop calling people idots if you got nothing to comment dont comment! and if you read everything from the start we had dicussed even if the codename was ok. You dont like it you do not need to post your bloody comments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.