Steam needed to autenticate half Life 2??

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by 7 deadly sins, Nov 14, 2004.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400

I don't speak freaky deaky dutch....?????

2. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X
    There are some misconceptions in this thread. First off, a dial-up connection is more-than sufficient to authenticate with steam. After you authenticate, you can choose to use online mode. Demographic-wise, I doubt that there is a proportionaly significant fan base who has a computer capable of running HL2 sufficiently, yet has absolutly no internet access. About it being US-centered, I don't think that's true at all either. It's not just people in the US who have internet by a long-shot. I don't think international sales will be cripled at all. Valve is a US-based company, and to by games off of steam etc you use US currenty, but the US dollar is the international currency for all international trade anyhow. (due to stability and resistant to political-weather changes, I think) As for 3rd-world countries that were mentioned, I doubt that they accoutn for a significant amount of sales. For those in these countries that want to play HL2, the ones that play computer games most likely have some form of internet access.

I don't think this will be too much of an issue,

3. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    if you didnt noticed I am from the place what people in west call 3rd world country.
    I have internet, my friends do not. may of them live on Hostels where they do not allow internet access. Only in college internet library.
    There are 6 billion people on this planet. 2 billion have access to computers and not even 30% of them have access to Internet. Think about it.

One of my friend living on hostel has better PC than mine with X800XTPE and A64 3400+. He has already preordered HL2 now he will have to carry his pc all way long from the hostel to my house which is 1 our drive just to authenticate HL2.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  4. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Funky, do these people who have no internet access have computers sufficient to run HL2?

5. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    oh yes they do. You will be surprised to see configs you will find in our college hostel.
    Everything from Athlon FX 55 with X800XTPE to 486 with trident 1 MB PCI ;)
    But most of them have stleast good P4 or Athlon XP system with GF FX 5700 or ATI 9600 pro.

6. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Damn, not what I expected. Around here just about everyone has internet, if not some form of broadband, but most have non-gaming PCs with crappy vid cards.

7. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    same here. If you see at PCs in peoples house they dont even have AGP card. Most use onboard video.
    But the many guys on hostels stay away from the home. They buy PCs from here in the city. they dont exactly tell what config they are buying to their parents ;)
    And almost everyone use PC more for gaming and less for education purpose. As for internet we have free access in our college.
    I am hoping to get broadband by x-mas as new broadband provider has started providing service in my area which was before Dialup only zone.

8. all of that's a real eye opener for me funky. never knew ppl in third world countries liked to be computer enthusiasts. maybe they should improvise the online authentication to have a program from the game loaded to a floppy then authenticating the program on library computers or where ever else u can get 'net access. then taking the floppy back to the comp and showing the game it's been authenticated so it will unlock.

i just think online authentication is such a good idea. piracy sux. i don't mean to look down on other ppl's character but i think most ppl around here where i live would download their games if they knew how even though they can afford it. they don't know about irc piracy networks and supran****(u all know which bittorrent site i mean) or how easy it is to pirate, which is the only reason they still pay for games.

9. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    What's the official unlocking time Pacific? its blocked at school the site is

10. golqmmecho

golqmmecho Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X800Pro Vivo @ XT P
    People have to be fools to pay $55 for a game, no matter what it is! I have bought only one game in my entire life and it is Colin Mcrae Rally 2005 and I had two reasons to buy it: First and most important, it will take about an year to crack it, because it uses StarForce 3.4 protection, and even when they crack it, it will be a pain in the ass to emulate images, disconnect drives, etc. Second, it is cheap. I would gladly pay $20 for a game I love! But $55? Hell no, I am not going to support some greedy corporations.

11. Hajile

Hajile Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d FX 5900xt
    Hey, just because we're 3rd world doesn't mean we're still using dirt roads =P It's harder to come up with quality parts and funds are shorter but some of us are determined enough to get the fastest rigs in the country XD

But yeah, we needed to be resourceful most of the time, and the halflife thing really is going to be a problem. We didn't get fiberoptics til about 5 years ago, 2 years ago decent working DSL was hard to come by, 2 years ago Dial-up ISP's reach capacity waaaay too easily, the country's internet backbone is monopolized by one phone company who didn't significantly upgrade their internet hardware till less than a year ago.

We've got a lot of dedicated hardware enthusiasts here who have been doing it since the age of the XTs, and plenty more people with decent rigs, the problem is that the rest of the country isn't keeping up with us =( We envy you guys that has cable for each house, our current network infrastructure can barely support us as it is =(

12. Stlr

Stlr Guest

Well judging by your pc hardware, you have supported some greedy corporations, but you had no choice. Hardware cannot be downloaded. I understand that you do not want to pay that much for hl2 and that's ok, that's your choice. Do you by chance like the game from what you've seen and heard of it so far? If so, how are you going to play it?

This isn't a post about the cons of piracy, but what I cannot understand is why some people ( not neccessarily you ) do not like certain games, but download them anyways?

13. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    ROFLMAO

Editted by Mi|enko - Removed Warez Link.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2004
  14. FreakyBeat

FreakyBeat Active Member

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800 @ 400/850
    I take it no one has been authenticated yet? I was hoping that the Steam servers would begin at 12:00 am eastern, or 9:00 pm pacific where I am, but, that doesn't seem to be the case.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    As i said Steam is based around the US market.......Thats why we in the UK are sitting here 6 hours in to the 16th and counting waiting for the bloody thing to be activated......US first,Everybody else second.....

16. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6 hours??????????? i will be counting god damn 13 and half hours.

17. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Now Now lets don't bring up History ... :D

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    No offence intended...Im talking about why the hell this so called system of the future of game delivery cant deliver to diffrent timezones at diffrent times.......Seems a bit stupid for everything to be hinged on a single place in the world........Just more evidence that they are just intrested in one market(US) and everybody else can just sit like twats and wait......

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  19. shades3k

shades3k Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    Erm are you aware of the theory of time zones? We get the game at EXACTLY the same time as everyone else. EXACTLY. We are at an advantage in the UK, as 8am is the perfect time to start playing and gave us some sleep (if you could get it!). In the most of the US it's around 11pm-1am they get it.

So what exactly is the problem here?

20. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    am i the only one left that cant play the damn game....its the 16th
    and passed it release hour......is my steam thing messed up or is there a wider problem.....it has'nt been activated whYYYYYYY!!!!!!!