copy protection on PS2s/XBOX

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by moomin, Nov 7, 2004.

1. moomin

moomin Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    DISCLAIMER I am not in any way asking how to get copyed PS2/XBOX games to work, I am only interested in the copy protection implemented on PS2s and XBOXs

Ok then

Does anyone know what sort of copy protecion there is on PS2/XBOX? Ive always wondered if there is any/how good it is?

Moomin

2. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Cant be that great, I see xbox and PS2 ISO files for download all the time here and there.

As far as playstation2 goes, I think the most common copy protection scheme is "Lybcrypt."

I know the xbox uses "Macrovision" to help prevent the duplication of DVD movies and stuff like that. I know the xbox a different file system for it's dvd media discs which is called XDVDFS. Discs of that file system are not read correctly from our windows systems because of the lack of a proper driver that will allow us so, for example there is a system driver which is called cdfs.vxd and is allowing us to read regular cd's or dvd's.

Microsoft has implemented also a special copy protection scheme on the dvd's , but I dont know what it is called or anything.

3. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Also, I read a thing about the xbox a couple of years ago that xbox DVDs are read by spinning them backwards. Apparently when xbox DVDs are created, the data spiral on the disc is backwards. For example, the data begins on the outside edge of the DVD and spins to the center. Normal DVDs are created by starting the data at the center and spiralling to the outside of the disc.

So Microsoft apparently has a special device driver they have on the XBOX operating system that spins the DVD drive backwards, thus allowing the data to be read properly.

I also read that in their efforts to "copy protect" their DVDs, they place some bogus video footage on the DVD, which is just there to trick standard DVD copy programs...making them believe that they can read the data properly.

4. Evil-Taco

Evil-Taco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtec nVidia 6800 GT Pci-Express
    Very good post adair_fett. If you pop a xbox game into the hd, then read it, it will display a video that says this game cant be played on the pc, use it on you xbox or something to that effect.

5. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Thanks.

6. IceCube

IceCube Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4200 VIVO
    There's also the fact that every game is signed by MS so that even if u do manage to get a copy it won't work unless u got a modded xbox.

7. Jazzy^Jeff

Jazzy^Jeff Guest

Every computer trade show I have been to buy new parts for my pc, there are at least 3 stalls that mod the xbox to be multi region, play any dvd format such as svcd, vcd , xvid and play back up games etc.

This is all done in 30 mins on the stall, whilst you walk round, so it cant be very hard to fit the chip as ive seen ppl of around 14-16 years old doing it. Guess the hard part is the hackers or group erc who came up with the bypass.

The only copy protection that has been any good is the gamecube and even that has been done altho not very well.

8. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Yeah, but you know, there is not a copy protection that hasnt been broken yet, even gamecube.

I remember them talking about the dreamcast when it came out, and how is proprietary discs would make it impossible for anyone to pirate their games. I think it took a week for that to get cracked.

Yeah xbox mod chips are not that hard to install. I guess the hardest thing wouold have been writing the BIOS for them, and even that would be easy for an experienced programmer. My xbox is modded btw, but mine is modded to accept a larget hard drive (250gb) and I have xbox media player to watch movies and stuff off of the drive. I do not and have never pirated any games with it though. I prefer to buy, no matter what.

9. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    It's kind of funny how all these guys come out with all this high-tech copy protection stuff and then a couple of days later it's cracked, it's an ongoing war.