9600XT Hard-Lock problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by 3DGuy, Apr 20, 2004.

1. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB 8x TV-
    Try Fastwrites...

I don't know about you guys, but my crash is probably a crash once in a blue moon.. cause its never happened to me before but I got a bit worried so I tried posting here.. overall I'm not getting any crashes, lockups anymore. I've played CoH, LineageII, WoW, Painkiller, FarCry, BF1942, BFV, Warcraft III, etc.. and lots more.

I had no problems with it.

2. KNIFE

KNIFE Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE X800 GTO2 16pipe
    mine also crashes every now and then it just freezes and locks up sometimes. nothing serious really tho all my comps and cards ive had crash at some point and regulary as even once a day but thats just down to pc's in general really they crash oh well lucky i have a reset button:)

3. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    Check you're motherboard :p

maybe that's making your system crash.. I've heard that ECS has some issues on their products.. I maybe wrong though, but it's my impression so don't get too hard on me :p

4. Netrino

Netrino Guest

Hi.. Same Problem Same Card Same S"#$"T

I ve just bought an asus radeon 9600XT 128mb with vivo and put it on a Abit IC7-MAX3 with p4 2.6 and 2x512mb ddr 400mhz memory and a 80gb wd hard disk...

well crashes and freezes and VPU Recovery on every 3d appl..

i looked all the forums did everything and nothing...
    i returned my pc to the store where i bought it the put me a Ati radeon 9600pro and all seemed ok..strangely..
    when we put the XT on a different pc it worked..
    i installed and the catalyst 4.4 and the Asus drivers but nothing..
    bios update..fast writes on\off..memory mhz up\down..nothing..
    FarCry and 3dmark03 crashes on me too...

thats all folks..
    hope.. i ll get another card and solve my problem-..

Before doing that i ll change my memories for sure and my cpu because i have a strange feeling about the cpu because my XT did worked on another pc...

see ya

5. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I have absolutely no crashes or problems at all. It must be a problem with ASUS cards.

6. upayme

upayme Guest

mine is a built by ATI 9600XT, so It's not limited to ASUS. :(

7. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    Gosh I have no idea that alot of people had so much problem with their 9600XTs.

It could be the AGP modes, try setting to 4x, etc.. also on fastwrites.

If that didnt work try reformatting, that may fix the problems (driver-related).

Well, 2 weeks now and not a single crash. I think I was right, my incident was just a rare encounter..

8. Alo

Alo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9600XT
    Mine never crashes,it's a Saphire. I did have an issue with logitech wireless keyboard/mouse driver conflicts tho. Got wired products and it is better.

9. Breakout

Breakout Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800 GTX
    Ya, mine runs flawlessly, too. Matter of fact, I'm just discovering how much this card rocks!

I started trying out a few games at 1600x1200 instead of 1280x1024 and I'm only losing between 10 to 25fps.

So, if I was getting like 75fps before, it gets around 50 or 60, and looks sweet...:D

10. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    wow, it looks like the reliability between the Pro and XT is quality different, is it really worth the pain?

11. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    Depends on the brand manufacturer, my XT is made by HIS and it has a Quality Control approved.

Besides I knew what I was doing.. I OC'ed my card a little so there's a probability for it to crash since I altered the default state of the product... so somehow one day it crashed, but it default it runs rock solid.. just now Im trying to OC it again and see if it crashes

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  12. jspace_uk

jspace_uk Guest

I have a very similar problem!

I bought my pc just the other day. Got myself a nice 9600XT. Started playing Farcry and about five minutes into the game, the pc locked the screen was covered in random colours and the sound card screached! I thought it may just be the game. So I tried Hidden and Dangerous 2. Same kind of crash, but this time it rebooted itself and on starting windows again I get a message. which when translated is:

Error message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

I have the latest ati drivers with catalyst. I am not oc anything! I really dont understand. I have tried and tested just about every option in the bios.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
    ASUS A7V600-X
    ASUS Ati 9600xt
    AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
    512MB RAM
    146MB used, 1102MB available
    DirectX 9.0c

13. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    My sapphire 9600xt has only a 40 mm fan it used to be 32 degrees idle but now it's 40 idle i think it's because i used arctic cooling silicone, but it never crashes because of heat. It's a great card.

14. lxbugkiller

lxbugkiller Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB(@720/1770/1050)
    im stuck with a sapphire 9600 non-pro card.. 256mb
    running 320 -> 420, 378 -> 405...

and loving every minute on it

do you guys advise me to install a fan on it (its passive cooling atm)?

15. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    a fan would help and lower your temps i'm gona buy a vga or ati silencer for my card

16. Gawf2004

Gawf2004 Guest

Hi folks ... new to this forum :) . OK, I've been reading all the problems you guys, and thousands of others worldwide, have been having with the 9600XT. I've been to at least a dozen forums a dozen times. I've been to the dealers and the service people. It doesn't matter what manufacturer, size of RAM, mobo, sound card ... NOTHING.

This card is faulty. :mad:

I know ... I've got one. I won't go into all the details of what I've replaced (everything), suffice to say that, after six months of extensive research, much hair pulling and sleepless nights slaving over a hot computer, I have come to the conclusion that the 9600XT is a dodgy card. Sorry ATI, but it's a fact. Ask anyone who owns one ... ANYONE.

I'm now frugally saving for an Nvidia card ... so long ATI.

PS ... does anybody want to buy a slightly thrown 9600XT?

17. Alo

Alo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9600XT
    I guess I'm a lucky one. My Sapphire 9600xt has been trouble free from the beginning. I rid myself of a faulty Nvidia card:rolleyes:
    Strange thing all these different results.

18. Gawf2004

Gawf2004 Guest

I'm truly envious ... no sarcasm intended ... I REALLY am envious. I've had nothing but trouble with my 9600XT. Is yours the 128mb model? Mine's the 256mb one. I'm told the 128 is faster (something I found out AFTER I bought this one). Although it's difficult to prove either way since I can't get my card to run for any decent length of time to test anything. I could probably fill this post with the alterations I've made to my system, but you'd probably fall asleep before you get halfway through reading.

19. Alo

Alo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9600XT
    Ya I got the 128mb one, it overclocks well too.
    I had all those problems you mention with my Nvidia 128mb card, drove me crazy right out of the box new. Pixelation problems were the worst of it and I tried 2 cards before I gave up. I have been building with ATI since then.Only thing I can add is get a quality PSU and make it more watts than you need.