MSI NX6800 GT Artifacts with NO OC?! PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mishterhaz, Oct 21, 2004.

1. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

Ok, I have the more ridiculous problem.

I just installed my 6800GT card, and haven't even begun to try to OC it yet. However, when I play such games as Halo, CS:Source, or even run 3dMark2001, I will get the most random artifacts and what looks to be random textures popping in and out of the screen.

I'm at a loss. It's not a temperature problem, GPU stays around 70 - 80 C during game play. I've tried drivercleaner, beta drivers (61.82), the current forceware drivers, to no avail.

I have a 480W TruePower Antec, with a boat load of components in my PC. I really don't know what the problem is!!! My old FX5950U ran smoother than the GT right now... :(

Help teh poor noobie.

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You could've gotten a bum card.. I would consider RMA'ing the thing back for a replacement.

3. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

Boo-frickin-hiss.

Is there anything you can recommend I could do to make sure that it is a bad card? Tests, anything?

I hate RMA's lol

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

5. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

Oh wow, just checked again....

This seems high to me:

gpu is about 73C right now, and I have firefox and aim open lol.

ehhh

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    boy thats a little high for idle temps, are you getting artifacts when you're on the desktop? mine idles about 50C, but thats on copper, my old aluminum cooler idled at about 58.

7. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

None that I really noticed. However, when I load up CS:Source for example, and leave it on the main menu screen, I start to notice Artifacts popping up randomly... and it's not even having to do anythign yet :( Maybe it is a bad card?

8. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

And I know this is running too hot, it just doesn't make sense! It's the stock MSI cooler, but I believe it is cooper to begin with, and has been deemed a good cooler? I am planning on purchaing the NV Silencer 5 anyway, so I can OC in the future.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556035411.html <-- just the cooler

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Sounds about right, I would get yourself set up with an RMA tomorrow with MSI. or the retailer you bought the card from, I would go though MSI though, cuz they wouldn't charge a restocking fee, also did you try the 66.81's, and did it do the same with them installed?

10. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

I just tried the 66.81's, no changes. :(

I suppose I will try a few more things, but I don't really know what. Most likely, I will set up for an RMA with MSI tomorrow, ship it back to them, and hopefully get a new one by next week, and I'll update again and let you know what happened with it.

Thanks for you all your help, I really appreciate it.

11. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    No problem, man, sorry to hear about the card, though, but every once in awhile it does happen, bummer, huh?

12. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

Yeah :-/ Hey, what do you expect. Demand is so high, they just churn those things out like crazy... guess TQM or quality control needs some tweaking over there at MSI... :p

13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    yeah, demand is high, I really wish it wasn't then the prices would go down and I could get another for my other PC.....but I may just get a 6600GT for since it doesn't get games played on it as much as this one.

14. omicronak02

omicronak02 Member

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 GT @ 380/1080
    dude, i had a similar problem. the first install ran like a charm but i decided to reformat and start with a fresh install cuz i heard driver conflicts might hinder performance (i had a 9800 pro before my 6800 gt). after i got all kinds of artifacts, it was crazy and annoying. but i just kept trying different drivers till i found one that worked...for me it is the 68.12. good luck man, just keep trying different drivers.

15. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

Well damn.

I got all mad and annoyed with my PC, so I just uninstalled and wiped every instance of drivers off of it.

Then I proceeded to take EVERYTHING out of hte case, and put it back in again, MAKING SURE i dedicated almost an entire power line to the card--and there was the problem I believe.

I just ran benchmarks, CS:Source, Halo, everything--no problems anymore. And I'm running on the latest beta drivers too. I worked on getting better airflow to the card, and now it's all good. I still plan on gettin ghte NV Silencer 5 though :) So yeah... problem solved? We'll see after a week or so if it still is all good. But thanks to you guys for your help and input!!

16. I have the same problem with my brand spanking new XFX 6800LE: first test run in FarCry, horrible textures popping up, and triangles and stuff. T

hink it must be a symptom of the card not getting enough juice, because I used a very much shared power line on a POS Deer PSU (I know, but I got it for free ... shoulda turned it down even at that price huh?)

Gonna try rigging up an old PSU for the exclusive use of my card, untill I can go Antec-shopping (or something comparable, any tips?). Will keep u all posted, because I haven't read that much about artifacting as a result of bad power. I have heard a lot of things about system restarts, crashes and exploding PSU's, but never arties.

Greetz Dex

17. gorgcy

gorgcy Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900GTX
    Hey, im thinkin of gettin a MSI 6800 GT.. what r your thoughts about the card so far ?

Does it have 2 molex connectors or 1 btw .....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  18. mishterhaz

mishterhaz Guest

It only has one molex, not the two like the ultra. I have deemed that my problems were simply from not enough juice getting to the card somehow.

Will keep you all posted.

(btw the MSI card is beaufitul so far, and you get lots of nice games with it too)

19. 30+MrGAS

30+MrGAS Member

GPU:
    EVGA2x8800GT512G92's
    psu

your psu's should have higher amps on the +5,+3.3,+!2 rails

such as
    +5@40a
    +3.3@32a
    +12@30a

just got an antec truepower550(tp550eps even better)

if you only have 18amps on 12vrail your going to be in trouble.

+3.3 and +12 require more!

make sure your 2d and 3d are set the same example; 425/1100 each or whatever your clocking at.

get cool bits and rivatuner

check first two boxes in blitting...

good luck

20. alexgontijo

alexgontijo Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 7800 GTX
    I also have a MSI 6800GT and the card is wonderful! She is red, the same PCB of my mobo :D, and the performance is excellent! I modded to Ultra speeds with 1.4v on 3D and 1.3v on 2D and the card is running so smooth... 12300 on 3DMark2003, 5200 on 2005! Everything is just a pleasure paradise! :D Far Cry runs smootly, and TOCA Race Driver 2 is perfect!

Can't be more satisfied! Go ahead!

AleX