A "Thank you" for Unwinder donation thread

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by AlecRyben, Oct 12, 2004.

?

What do you think of my idea?

1. Great idea! I was looking forward to thank Unwinder by donating money.

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. No way! I am not giving any money for makers of free tools.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Since the great success of Unwinder's "Rivatuner", there must be a great number of people that feel the need to repay Unwinder for all the hours he spent analyzing and hacking in order to give us the opportunity to save a lot of money and get a lower priced product without sacrificing performance and features.
    He also needs money in order to gain access to the pricy ($2400/1900€) genuine Quadro FX 4000 in order to provide us with a new set of SoftQuadro scripts.

So, i suggest we all should start donating some money to Unwinder, so he will be able to buy all NVIDIA models that are currently interesting for modders. He immediately needs one GeForce 6200, one 6600 and a Quadro FX 4000. If at least 300 enthusiasts donate only $10 each he will have enough money ($3000) to get all those, compare and hack!

If i am not mistaken, Unwinder is located in Russia, so PayPal is probably out of the question for him. The easiest way to send money is to wire them through Western Union.

I wish this idea of mine turns into a real action.

Unwinder really deserves our thanks!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  2. NowayDude

NowayDude Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 7900GT 512 bliss
    Nice idea.Lets see some more peeps getting in this

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yeah, great idea to show our appreciation!

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Fellow Gurus, since Unwinder said he feels bad about accepting donations, i suggested him that he organizes a sweepstakes giveaway hardware lottery for all the products bought with the donation money after he analyzes & checks everything he needs to know.

So, what do you think about that?

I bet there are a lot of people here who will gladly pay $10 just to be able to win the Quadro FX 4000 at the lottery... ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004

5. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Count me in! I´m only participating cause I´m eager to take part in the hardware lottery to win the Quadro 4000, so I´m not willing to give presents to Alexey since he doesn´t feel that he can´t accept gifts for his work. No Alexey, I won´t let you keep that hardware all alone, it´s mine ....my precioussssss.....
    I´m a student, everybody else don´t even think about winning that Quadro FX 4000, I deserve it. Great idea Alec, if we put it all together it should work.

have a nice day

6. pastor

pastor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6800GT - Dell bios modded to quadro 4000
    Count me in!

<this thread should be sticky>

7. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Definitely.
    Hilbert or Unwinder, please make this thread sticky. Thanks!

8. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    Count me in also, just say where to send the money :D

9. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    When we reach critical mass (300+) we will just wire $10 each through Western Union using Unwinder's real name & adress (which he will hopefully post here... ;)

10. dhart1978

dhart1978 Member

GPU:
    Pixel View Geforce 6800
    In terms of simplicity, would it not be easier to designate one, reputable ;) person with a paypal account, get everyone to send their money to them and then, when it hits critical mass, that person transfers the money to unwinder ? Would seem easier that way, and also you dont have the situation of unwinder having to post his address on a public forum.... I'll put in a $10 also...

11. machmandp

machmandp New Member

GPU:
    Galaxy Glacier 6800
    i'm up for anything :)

seriously after a nice free upgrade on my 6800nu it's worth $10 easy

mach

12. bovehein

bovehein Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT@FX4000
    Sign me up! :)

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    should of had a optional 3rd vote

like undecided or no paypal account

14. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    I'd help out, but wiring money from New Zealand is atrociously expensive. I'd certainly send a donation if there was some centralised Paypal account at someone trustworthy... AlecRyben... could you handle the responsibility? $US10 is pretty trivial anyhow.

15. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Sorry, i don't have a PayPal account. The problem with Paypal is they demand your bank/funds are located in the same country you live, and both should be on their approved country list. Are you sure Western Union is prohibitely expensive in NZ? Bank wiring usually is expensive, but WU is usually charging very little for little sums of money...

16. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    The problem is that WU doesn't (to my knowledge) exist in NZ. Which would mean I'd have to wire say, through my own bank. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the base fee to wire would be at least as much as the money I was wiring in the first place.

17. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Guys, please stop this donation thread. Now I'm seriously thinking about killing RivaTuner project, and it is simply unfair to get any donations for the project with undetermined future.
    Amount of users ignoring documentation / help system and posting stupid questions, which were already adresses numerous times, reached critical limit after publishing last version, and I'm simply terribly tired of it and want to get rid of any conflicts with beginners ignoring "RTFM", which constantly take place during the last weeks.

18. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Sorry to hear that Unwinder... :(
    As usual, ignorant people that don't read help, FAQ & docs are destroying every good thing out there... :puke:

19. Malbeth

Malbeth Active Member

Based on Unwinder's feedback, there's a better way to contribute than money. The way is to stand against the flood of ignorant <censored> in the forums in his stead, leaving to him the real work in reverse engineering and programming. Not much needs to be done: just read the threads (new ones in particular), locate the offenders and apply any, some or all of "search", "RTFM", and "STFU" as needed.

20. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Unfortunately, that's easier said than done, since usually the <censored> people we are talking about take that advice as a personal insult and start flaming you... :(

Oh well, i guess i will have to try to get my hands on a real Quadro FX 4000 on eBay (hopefully for at least half a price off) and send it to Unwinder for analysis... ;)