rivatuner question

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by wizzackr, Oct 3, 2004.

1. gafa

gafa Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 6800NU
    nice work xtremetheme :D this version will be much easier to understand to newbies! anyway i got a question...i already have my 3d voltage @ 1.4v, but to test the nibitor 1.7 i opened up my original bios and it gives me the right voltage to alter, the 1.2v, but when i see the options, there's the ?.?v, even with extend labeling on. now, i know it's possible to set the voltage to 1.5v, and with nibitor 1.6 you can do that. what about this new ?.?v ? is it just that nibitor 1.7 can't set 1.5v or if i select ?.?v it's the 1.5v?!?!
    greetz

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Yes. Driver never selects selects smaller voltage than specified in the performance level. The closest greater or equal is selected.

What's a point in allowing user to alter VIDs? I see no sense in altering VID and leaving target voltages tag unchanged. It will still make a mess of voltage table. Why not simply allow user:

1) Change target value for the corresponding _performance_level_, allowing user to select one of voltages specified in voltage table
    2) Probably allowuser to _append_ voltage table with new VIDs/voltage tags (voltage table is often incomplete).

3. hullabaloo

hullabaloo Member

Any chance changing memory voltage through bios, or must it be hard moded? My Leadtek 6800le has 2,2 ns hynix ram, but it won't go past 850 MHz. They probably lovered voltage below specified (maybe they went out of 2,8 ns ram and put 2,2 but with lover voltage; don't know). I would measure it, but I don't know the spots.
    Anybody. Ideas.
    Thanks.

4. xtremetheme

xtremetheme New Member

Hi, try setting the ?.? and see if its really 1.5 e.g. gives you more oc.
    I left it ?.? because i couldnt find reports confirming its really 1.5

Out of your rivatuner FAQ and previous statement i read you cant see what target voltage is used in what performance mode, from the BIOS alone.
    It would make sense if you mean to change the target voltage the driver is looking for? But that would be at driver level not in the BIOS?

Hmm, never thought about that.
    Problem is i dont know how to do that without screwing the BIOS up, just append the new entries and update the amount of entries works?

I think the cards only have a programable voltage regulator for the chip, so hardmod would be the only option.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nope, it is located in BIOS too. To be more preceise, target voltage is located in the corresponding performance level entry in the performance table (the clocks you allow to edit in your tool are located in this table too).
    For example, for BIT-based BIOS target voltage's offset is 5 (in reference to the beginning of performance table entry). Core clock's offset is 6, so knowing core clock offset you also know target voltage offset too.

6. Hirotaro

Hirotaro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS N6800GT PCI-E@425/1200
    Gees...

I read and read this thread and at M V K t e c h and I'm completly lost...

I believe my ASUS 6800GT 256DDR3 has only 3D Mode and that it's set to 1.4V VID 1.
    There is NO 2D and Throttling Mode in BIOS as NiBiToR (even 2.3) says.
    Bu there are 3 types of Voltage/VID:

1.1V = VID 0
    1.3V = VID 2
    1.4V = VID 1

And Only 1.4V is USED for 3D Mode.
    Are the 2 others V/VIDs needed???
    What do they do???
    What would happen if I'd changed them all to 1.4V = VID1???

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005