Moded 5900XT BIOSes

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dr.InfernO, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. l3th4l

l3th4l Member

first of all thanks for your fast reply :)
    i have almost the same card as you (gainward 5900xt golden sample) buth with only 128 mb memory.. i tried the bfg (sp?) 5950u bios and it ran pretty well exept i had only 4x agp and cs:s wouldn't start so i tried a buch of different ones but all of them didn't rech the speed of the bfg(or was it bgf??) id be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction..

oh.. and another thing: i have my gfx card watercooled so temperature shouldn't be a problem (although i have no way of checking it :|) so i guess it mus be the core voltage thats responsible for my card not going far over 500..

btw, does having only agp 4x have any disadvantages?

edit: forgot to mention: right now i ahve the leadtek A350THD 500/930 installed and my clock setting are 495/980.. but now im noticing some leftover pixels on my desktop so i guess i have to reduce the ram speed a bit.. when i set my gpu clock at 500 or above i cant even tough this ram speed.. someone please advice me what to do :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  2. Gd350turbo

Gd350turbo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 780 ti OC
    7070 and go on...

3. InfoTiger

InfoTiger Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB
    I didnot fry my card. I clocked down 450/800 and got 6069 in 3dmark03. I didnot see any artifacts yet.:D

4. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    YES IM SO HAPPI **** IVE DONE IT!!! lol i just flashed my 5900Xt with that bios....My core is now 500 and MEM 890!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD IM HAPPI

5. nepluto

nepluto Active Member

GPU:
    chaintech Geforce 6800 256mb
    yes evil kevin.. you can take it that high but you will most likely have video problems with games and stuff.. run a bench mark once to see what it does.. if it freezes you will have to take it to 480/850... that was the highest stable it was meant for.

6. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    LOL rofl... ive been playing doom3 and far cry for agees like 3 hours and it runs fine for me.....

7. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    oh yeha, what should the graphics card temp be runnig at?? im getting like 60 when im playinh games

8. l3th4l

l3th4l Member

dammit! i tried out the Creative FX5900Ultra BIOS but i couldn't install any driver.. the installation runs fine but after the restart its still not installed and it tells me that it found a new gfx card..
    now i decided to try a different one but i can't flash my bios anymore!! is says something about dpmi missing!
    PLEASE HELP! im currently running my system on safe standard windows drivers...

[edit] nevermind.. im stupid :rolleyes: i deleted the cwsdpmi file. don't know why

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  9. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    ive oced it to now Core:537 and Mem:937..... Its running realli stable for me so far....... No artifacts or such and im getting 47k in aquamark 3......

10. InfoTiger

InfoTiger Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB
    I could smell the smoke out of your machine. :eek:

11. vinteg

vinteg Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640
    i always was afraid to flash my card, but i was tired everyone had such a fine ass 3dm 03 score i couldnt stand it anywmore, i called my friend and he talkt me the hole way trough the proces. so finaly my ****ing aopen bios is of and the almighty leadtek bios is on it. but here it come's, i have seen people with a 5900XT doing the same thing(from original bios to leadtek standart bios)and they get like 6900 and more scores in '03, they say they dind't mod the bios in any way(i asked like ten people) so i tought it was strange my flash only cause me to oc my card to 876mem instead of 800 for the aopen bios, but it stil "only" gives me a score of 6319. i mean its much better and i can clock much higher but it doesnt seem to mather, caus i see people in the orb list ho score higher with lowe clocks. mine runs 465/876 with no probs, but please explain the low score
    oh yeah its standart aopen cooling btw, nice oc that's for sure. and in 3dmark05 i only get like 1145 points or something, i know fx series score low, but i mean a 9600pro scores higer, i always knew the fx's series shaders where bad but that bad no way

this is what i posted on the nv vga forum , ofcourse as alway's no one replyed:(
    anyway, is this good or bad? i think its a standart leadtek bios not sure thoug.
    also, if you put youre mem in riva higher then the point where there shows up an icon in the oc meter with a /!\ sign. cause that what shows up after oc'ing to 876MHz(still no artifacts, not even in 3dmark 05)
    greetz

12. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Nothing wrong with a score of 6319 for your Aopen 5900XT card running at 465/876 !

Also being a XT type card, there is very little can be done to improve GPU overclocking speed other than a hard voltmod to your card.

Memory speed however can be improved by changing memory chip latencies in your bios. The information on what to do and why, is available in my 59xx bios modding guide at page 201 or thereabouts of this thread.

And, although you state you are currently using a leadtek bios, you don't mention which one, or where you got it from ?

Also, Have you tried any of the moded bios's from the first post of this thread ?

13. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    holy how is it possible to get to 6300 3dmark 03? I only get 5540 @450/800. Is that normal? If i clock my memory higher i think i might see a better increase? I can't up my core right now, it's hot so i'll get a nv3 silencer later :)

14. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    Why, Why, Why!!!

I am trying to O/C my card already for a month. Every BIOS I try does not work for me. Till yesterday when I tried the underclocked Gigabayte 5950 BIOS posted on the first page of this thread. I flashed the card restarted the computer and ta da...I could not believe. I immediately run Aquamark3 3 times and I got beautifull scores. Then I played all my games FarCry, Colin4, UT2004...and everything worked in the best possible way...better immage quality, faster and smoother running. OK, then I had to go out and I shut down my PC. I returned home late in the evening all excited to play so I turned the PC on and what...after the WinXP loading screen the only thing I could see was a 17" black screen as my monitor reported no signal and went in stand by. I was shocked...I restarted in safe mode reinstalled the drivers and the PC restarted correctly...then I wanted to chenge my resolution from the standard 800*600 to a better one and again the monitor went in stand by...I tryed all the resolution also back to 800*600 but nothing worked. I decided to flash back my card to the original BIOS but here I almost get my first hart attack...the flashing tool reported a bad flash as the 5950 bios is bigger then the 5900xt...I thought m**** f**** not that I lost 200 EUR...but then I remeber clever advise from gurus forums...use nvflash 4.41 to flash....and worked fine....so I am fortunatelly back on my original BIOS...and I think that I will never flash again... as after one month of unsuccessfull flashing I almost lost my card.

15. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    should i downclock to like lower clocks?? rofl....

16. tot31

tot31 New Member

I think that is normal as my 3dmark03 score with same oc speed like yours i.e 450/800 is 6287 using 66.81 driver.However I managed to get mine oc to 470/880 and 3dmark03 score is 6529

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3237090

I'm using myself modded bios msifx5900xt bios, before the bios mod I could only managed to oc up to 445/750 on;y.

17. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    You never got anywhere near losing your card, it was only your memory on flashing properly that was obviously damaged ?

When you flashed with a new bios and reinstalled drivers, did you also remember to reinstal your monitor against its manufacturers driver, rather than the OS "default" or "plug and play" drivers that many people seem to go with regardless of advice to the contrary. And it is most important, for winXP, that the refresh rates be set up properly using something like RefreshForce,

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

Also, because a 5950 spec of card is way beyond a 5900xt, it is most important that your mobo device drivers are fully up to date !

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  18. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    My drivers are all up to date...I am a maniac of up to date drivers

I did not understend well...I have also to reinstall monitor drivers...could you explain why? and what do you mean with "memory on flashing properly that was obviously damaged"

And as I wrote after first reboot everything worked well it is only after the computer was turned off for some hours that the problem arrised.

I was really confident that this bios would be the one that will work with my card...every thing was beautifull:(((

19. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

glad to hear it !

My point is that you should never install nvidia drivers without also installing your monitor against its manufacturers driver !

The OS "default" and "plug and play" drivers no nothing about your monitor and therefore should only be used as last resort. but with limited expectations.

You had obviously forgotten to always use nvflash.exe v4.41, and that bios size, as long as below 65k, doesn't matter !

Not important, probably just shows that some driver was not installed properly. So try again, and this time go through the motions of getting card/monitor drivers (including OS refresh rates) installed and working properly before doing any testing/gaming.

Also, make sure you can continuously reboot and still be stable !

EDIT:

I assume you also tried other underclocked 5950u bios's ?

Some cards have proven to work better and more stable with other manufacturers bios's. BFG bios's have proven especially good.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  20. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes for sure that I use also up to date manofacturer drivers for my monitor.

I have to reinstall them after a video card bios chenge???

Ok I will try to do evrything in the best correct way for the last time...could you suggest wich bios is best to try

and tks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.