Best way to upgrade HD without reinstalling OS?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Annex, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Annex

Annex Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS @ 600 / 900
    What would be the best way to upgrade/replace a hard drive without reinstalling windows?

I was thinking of marking the partition on the new HD as active, then booting the system with a rescue cd and simply copying the contents of the old drive onto the new, and then swapping the drives master/slave on the controller. Another option I think I can try is Norton Ghosts Disk to Disk copy, but im not sure how the partition structure on the new drive will be if the new drive is larger than the old.

Anyhow a definite answer on this would be appreciated.

2. Annex

Annex Guest

GPU:
    I tried making the partition active and using ghost 'disk to disk', and that did work, but with windows XP as the OS, I cant login as any of the users on the new drive. I assume this is a security feature. There a way around this? Repair install?

3. TV addict#2

TV addict#2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EvgaGtx680+HPLP-3065
    I know it's more work but I have to recomend fresh os install on your c partition in the new drive,than no conflicts

4. Annex

Annex Guest

GPU:
    Nm I got it to work. It was actually a 'partition to disk' that I had tried that didnt work. A full 'disk to disk' works like a charm.